Firemonkey Madness

Dustdevil

Fire Departments should...  

58 members have voted

1. 1.

• Only hire applicants who are already EMTs.
    • Train their own EMTs.
    • Get out of the EMT business altogether.

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN HIJACKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to argue this damn topic go to Firehouse.com forums with the rest of the wackers and blue light crusaders! As a LONG time volly your posts insult me. I behave professionally at my VFD and am a Professional at my FD. Yeah, so I get paid. So what , you don't. Doesn't make it more heroic. As for Fuck the IAFF,

YOU SNIVELING IGNORANT LITTLE TWIT!! DON'T YOU REALIZE THAT ALMOST ALL OF THE SAFETY IMPROVEMENTS IN THE FIRE SERVICE ARE A RESULT OF THE IAFF FIGHTING FOR THEM??? HOW DARE YOU DISMISS THE HARD WORK BY MY UNION BROTHERS THAT HAS MADE IT SAFER FOR YOU AND ME TO FUNCTION AS FIRE FIGHTERS!!!! GO TO FH.COM WITH YOUR TIRED IGNORANT BOMBASTIC GARBAGE AND PICK A FIGHT. YOU ARE A PRIME EXAMPLE OF THE ATTITUDES THAT ARE WRONGWITH FAR TO MANY VOLS. :evil: :evil:

Before you decide to deride me for my stand, know that I am an officer in my states Vol firemans association. This is not an anti vol post, just an anti moron post.

mc10166.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow indeed. I am pretty mild mannered until I run into this type of crap. I am here to discuss EMS issues, not rehash the same stupidity I have spoken against at FH.com for years.

So, without further ado, What was the question that I did not answer Dwayne?? I promise to get down off the soapbox and answer in a civil, intelligent manner.

If I offended anyone with my previous post, you might need to ask why it was offensive to you and examine that. :twisted: Namecalling notwithstanding of course. I DO regret that, it was unprofessional of me.

You know what, even though perhaps in a quieter moment you might have worded things differently, I have great respect for your passion.

My main question, and you can revisit the post it came from if you like, (I'm afraid I have to get some work done this morning so don't have time to try and redigest it all) is this:

What confuses me is this. The odds are overwhelming that if my family has an emergency it will be medical or trauma and not fire related. So when my son has a seizure, or my wife suffers from a tension pneumo or ecclampsia or I have an MI, why is it so hard to understand that I'd rather have two...or God forbid, four medics show up instead of six firemen trained to the BLS level? We can have the former for less money than the latter.

We have I think...eight fire houses in my town, yet at any given time there are two medics on duty in two ambulances. How does that make sense? Wouldn't the money be better spent to add ambulances and medics, while subtracting firemen (that are rarely used for their stated purpose) assuming that the funding is unmovable,(Bold added for emphasis here where it didn't exist in original post) when we have the certain knowledge that medicals are going to outnumber fires approx. 10/1? How do we justify the latter, which mostly involves loss of property while allowing the former, when we know that it involves mostly loss of life/limb?

I did see where you mentioned (I think it was you) putting an ambulance in every fire house, though that still doesn't really answer the above question.

As I reread this I can see where it might be misunderstood that I believe firemen are not important. That isn't the case. This question is brief and blunt to be clear, not to imply disrespect to the fire services.

Have a great day Wayne. It's cool to see you back in this thread!

Dwayne

Sorry it took so long to reply, the Captain(me) has a lot to do. Writing people up for stupidity, ........... Well, I could start a whole new thread with that one!

When I stated an ambulance at every Fire Station, I did not mean a BLS rig. I meant ALS. That would be ideal. Not necessarily FD EMS either. Gary FD does this, the EMS and Fire are two different departments of the FD, sharing stations.

However, here in the real world, the money just isn't there. Is utilizing existing numbers of firefighters to handle EMS the answer? Not on your life. What is the answer??? Depends on who you ask. Can we cut the numbers of firefighters to bolster EMS?? No. Read this.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/a...16&id=57546

The "Unrelated Emergencies" was an EMS call. Would they have been able to save that man if the other two men assigned to the ladder truck were there????? Maybe, maybe not. But it would have been a better chance for this man. Can FD's take on all the EMS calls and fires with the existing staffing?? No. But that is what many communities are expecting of them. Do it all for less.

I don't have the answer for the reality of the situation. No one does, or it would be being done. :lol:

Maybe not exactly the answer you were looking for, but it is what I got. :lol:

Grin...No, didn't forget, I've just been running my tail off.

I'm grateful for you spending the time to go through this..! I'm truly interested in this discussion, and it's rare we have someone fire side that is willing and able to have it.

Don't give up yet!

Have a great day Wayne.

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.