Firemonkey Madness

Dustdevil

Fire Departments should...  

58 members have voted

1. 1.

• Only hire applicants who are already EMTs.
    • Train their own EMTs.
    • Get out of the EMT business altogether.

there they go making a case to justify their exsistance............ firemonkeys UNITE!!!!!!!

You guys put yourselves out of business with fire prevention and the like, don't you think you could of done it at a modest pace, so as still things could stay moderately busy? Pd/FD/EMS are all necessary services, but it doesn't mean, you should have a police officer/firefighter/paramedic on scene to work the crime scene, dose the little fire the perp started and give the mom some nitrous to make it all feel better? If your gonna try to take a position, why not take all of them...... of course your not out of convience. You don't want to be running all those you hit me and I want to sue BS..........

Do youself a favor, sit back in your lazy boy, ejnoy your nice salary, and SHUT UP!!!!!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[/font:dce8260c40] Don't take this wrong but you need to get out more. There is a lot more your out there than what you have experienced in your wilderness. There are actually very competent Fire/EMS personnel, that have successfully completed the same EMT training program as you, passes the same National Registry exam as you, and in several instances experienced and dealt with much more misery and trauma than you could imagine. Open your mind a bit and you will realize that we're all on the same team with the same public service goals.

Please take the advice others gave you. Look around, understand the views and we have all sorts of views. You are not the first to argue for us to be public servants like fire and law, but you will find many more here that want us to be medical professionals. Research and you will find discussions that will explain the difference.

Please do not allow my ignoring your attacks to be saying you won, it is my welcoming gift to you. Please enjoy the city.

[/font:446b82a81e] Forgive my newness. I AM passionate about the service we ALL provide and to not deal well with those who denigrate the efforts, training and skills of others on the same team. I'll try to do better.

To answer Eydawn:

30 years professional Firefighter/EMT, (Captain - B.C. - Retired), currently managing an EMT program in Santa Barbara County California.

I brought EMT / Expanded Scope to my department as part of a pilot program for the county and the area now enjoys the benefits of a fully functioning program.

California State Instructor: Extrication, PWC Rescue, Low Angle Rescue, Fire Control III

25 year instructor @ Allan Hancock College Fire Academy

Auto Extrication Instructor @ Allan Hancock Advanced EMS Academy

My name is Andy

I see a flame war developing.....hmmmm

Can't we all just get along?

You know what this ends up every time there is the firemonkey vs ems debate---everyone has their own opinion and nothing will change.

Facing the reality of the situation where I am--the municipality is too cheap to put forth money for real change in the response (as it is surely in many other jursidictions) SO, EMS WILL remain in the Fire domain.

The Elitists will continue to say "It doesn't belong there", the rank and file will do their job, and the calls will (somehow) still get answered.

EMS will continue to languish in the netherworld where it lacks the respect or professional recognition it (should) deserve

And what I say on here doesn't amount to a hill of beans......so THERE

[/font:5000a68b21] Forgive my newness. I AM passionate about the service we ALL provide and to not deal well with those who denigrate the efforts, training and skills of others on the same team. I'll try to do better.

To answer Eydawn:

30 years professional Firefighter/EMT, (Captain - B.C. - Retired), currently managing an EMT program in Santa Barbara County California.

I brought EMT / Expanded Scope to my department as part of a pilot program for the county and the area now enjoys the benefits of a fully functioning program.

California State Instructor: Extrication, PWC Rescue, Low Angle Rescue, Fire Control III

25 year instructor @ Allan Hancock College Fire Academy

Auto Extrication Instructor @ Allan Hancock Advanced EMS Academy

My name is Andy

Andy welcome to the site. Like I mentioned earlier we love passionate people, we especially love those that have the knowledge to back it with. I look forward to picking your brain, to reading your input on the various scenarios that get discussed. Sorry if I come across a little blunt at times, always well meaning.

I see a flame war developing.....hmmmm

Can't we all just get along?

You know what this ends up every time there is the firemonkey vs ems debate---everyone has their own opinion and nothing will change.

Facing the reality of the situation where I am--the municipality is too cheap to put forth money for real change in the response (as it is surely in many other jursidictions) SO, EMS WILL remain in the Fire domain.

The Elitists will continue to say "It doesn't belong there", the rank and file will do their job, and the calls will (somehow) still get answered.

EMS will continue to languish in the netherworld where it lacks the respect or professional recognition it (should) deserve

And what I say on here doesn't amount to a hill of beans......so THERE

You crack me up. :lol::lol::lol:

But you really hit the nail on the head.

LOL, sorry I got kinda off topic. The FD's here are trying to take our jobs..... our professions, our bread and butter away from us here...... I just have strong feelings bout that. I get kind of heated when I hear a FF trying to claim EMS is their thing..... when really it's not. We've been providing EMS for the county since 1972 and for the FD's to think they could "take over" as one fire chief put it, they're dead wrong.

I didn't mean to offend you or get you upset.

Welcome to the City!!!!

OOOOO - Bitter! Sounds like someone that's been turned down by more than one Fire Department...

Yes, I admit it. I was not hired by the first FD I applied to. It took three tries. I'm a horrible human being. :roll:

...and is now trying to aggravate and perpetuate one of the biggest detriments to professional Emergency Medical service delivery, the relationship between Fire EMS and Private EMS.

Been reading long? Either you read only the poll, and never bothered to read my actual posts, or else you have an English comprehension problem. Nowhere have I said anything about private EMS. Not all non-fire EMS is private. If you are unaware of this fact, then I suggest that it is you who needs to get out more.

If this relationship between the two services continues to SUCK, it will probably be largely because of attitudes and posts like this, and from the looks of your little poll you have quite a following. That's sad.

It sucks for the same reason that the relationship between women and their abusers continues to suck. Because one is harmful to the other. So long as the fire service continues to obstruct and harm the professional growth of EMS, this will be an abusive relationship, with no hope of improvement. As much as you would like us to believe it, pretending like we are friends, and that we enjoy what you are doing to EMS is not exactly a progressive solution.

I have read your post several times trying to determine what drives you to spew such BULL, and to encourage others to follow.

So far, you have failed to even recognise what I am spewing, invalidating everything you have to say in this post.

As I'm certain that you live in the real world, (yes I've seen your pictures)...

I dunno about that. Where I live in work is pretty far removed from your "real world". :lol:

I would hope that you are intelligent enough to realize that no single service can handle the entire load.

Really? Exactly what are you saying? The fire service cannot handle EMS by itself? A non-fire EMS agency cannot handle EMS by itself? I don't really get what your point is. It's been a very long time since I worked in a system where one agency did not handle the entire load by itself. Last time I saw that, it was multiple funeral homes fighting over every call that came in. I'm not sure I want to see those days return.

Do you REALLY believe, and encourage others to believe, that "Fire should get out of the EMT business altogether"?

Again, you display a very limited ability to clearly comprehend written English. Nowhere have I encouraged the fire service to get out of the EMT business altogether. It was just an option on the poll, just like the other two. Why would you ASSume that was my personal choice any more than the other two choices? Especially since I have very clearly stated that it was not my choice. All I said was that there is no benefit to fire departments hiring already certified EMTs over training their own. Period. Anything else is a figment of your vivid imagination.

If that's the case...

It's not, so save your breath and learn to read.

Maybe your plan is to provide the additional technical training, the required PPE, and VERY large ambulances to carry all of the necessary equipment. (heck, all you would need then is a water tank and some hose and you would have a fire engine!)

Ummm... nope. Another thing I have made perfectly clear here, on multiple occasions, is that I believe that MEDICAL personnel should remain focused on MEDICAL care, and leave the rescue stuff to agencies specifically dedicated to those tasks. Nobody is trying to take anything away from the fire service. I am more than happy to let you do all the dirty work.

Consider this; the safety needs of several jurisdictions are met PRIMARILY by FIRE/EMS, including transport, without the NEED for a private ambulance service. Can you think of a jurisdiction that can get by with just private EMS and that doesn't NEED Fire protection?

Actually, yes. New Orleans for one. And there are actually quite a few places in the US where EMS is also the primary rescue agency. But wait a moment... didn't you start off this entire pointless rant by telling us that NO agency could do it all? Change your mind that quickly, did you? Perhaps in the future, you should think your "spewing" through a little better before you start typing.

My intent is not to demean the contribution of ANY EMS provider.

Mine neither. If you think it was, then again, your reading comprehension ability is seriously in question. Although, that is typical of the fire service.

I understand and respect that if we are to provide the highest levels of service possible, we will need the skill, equipment, and capabilities of ALL trained EMS personnel. In my 30 years of professional EMT experience I can't tell you how many times the administration of lifesaving care, 1-6 minutes before the arrival of an ambulance, has made the difference. I would NEVER be so full of myself to advocate that we restrict the ability to provide such care to 1 provider.

First of all, "professional EMT" is an oxymoron. Second of all, there is absolutely no reason why one provider cannot provide lifesaving care in under six minutes. It is the fragmenting of the system into multiple providers that results in delays. If it cannot currently be done in your system, then your system sucks. But don't think for a second that, because your system sucks, all systems suck.

It's quite amusing that you sit here and tell others that they need to get out of their little wilderness more, when you quite obviously don't have a clue what is going on outside of your own system.

If you're just bitter and using this post to vent then fine, but let that fact be known so that we can all understand the reasons behind your ire.

I'm the least bitter person you'll ever meet in EMS. I have the very best job in EMS, and could not be happier with it. I am not a firemonkey today not because I got turned down, but because I walked away from it over twenty years ago because I was more interested in being a medical professional than a firemonkey with an EMS hobby. No bitterness. No regrets.

If I interpreted your post incorrectly I apologize and look forward to clarification

There's your clarification. You misinterpreted it. You misread it. And you made some really silly assumptions that indicate that you are the one with some bitterness issues. As somebody else already pointed out, it is intelligent Internet practice to do a little reading and getting to know the situation before you start "spewing" off half-cocked about things you know nothing about.

And yes, I know that "intelligent Internet" is an oxymoron. :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.