Who is the highest level of care?

Freshmeat

Doczilla,

You're generalizing all RNs for those specific to your area. RNs that do HEMS and other outside of the hospital transports have an expanded scope in many states.

Let me clarify my statement, not independent from a medical director but with protocols designed by the medical director. Independent in that they do not have to call for every order.

Sorry, let me clarify that. The flight RNs can do anything on standing orders through protocols without requesting permission, but require contact with the MD at some point during the transport. What I meant to say was that they are not independently licensed to perform the various procedures on their own without protocols and a medical director. I think we're saying the same thing.

'zilla

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

remember the big R in the front of RN = Registered , the RN is a health professionla with their own scope of practice rather than certified staff who rely on being employed by a service and having a medicla director

I wasn't too sure after rereading the post if zippy was referring to a scope of practice designated by license or a scope that must be confirmed by the medical director. Examples of this would be a medical director of an EMT-B in Texas allowing ETI which is not normally under their certified scope of practice or the paramedics that must call for orders when doing certain procedures.

I wasn't too sure after rereading the post if zippy was referring to a scope of practice designated by license or a scope that must be confirmed by the medical director. Examples of this would be a medical director of an EMT-B in Texas allowing ETI which is not normally under their certified scope of practice or the paramedics that must call for orders when doing certain procedures.

a further symptom of the messed up way some of you guys in leftpondia work

my scope of practice is my scope of practice, if i am working for an employer who allows me to do something i can do it within the guidelines /protocols , or maybe a little bit outside of it if justified...

the other parto f the point is that a health professional has a responsibility towards their patients and the public at large via the legislation that creates and empowers their professional regulator - regardless of who they work for or whether they are on duty or off duty - there are certain basic principles of professional practidce they must adhere to

See, this whole mess isn't a problem in my state.

We don't have nurses flying on our 'copters. One paramedic, one pilot.

And you don't lip off to the paramedic because he carries a gun and handcuffs.

Maryland State Police Aviation Division. Eight helicopters geographically deployed throughout the state. Maybe not the best model, but it works here...for the most part...

Millions of dollars? Yes. Overly used? Yes. Paid for? Tag and license fees.

We also have the GO team, which is basically a way of grabbing anesthesiologist and trauma surgeons from Shock Trauma to fly into the field for amputations, etc.

Maryland State Police Aviation Division. Eight helicopters geographically deployed throughout the state. Maybe not the best model, but it works here...for the most part...

Millions of dollars? Yes. Overly used? Yes. Paid for? Tag and license fees.

Expensive indeed. Saw their recent article in the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7111701025.html

Heavy demand has taken a toll on Trooper 2 and the 11 other helicopters in the state police air rescue operation, the only such statewide, publicly run service in the country and the national standard-bearer for safety. The 18-year-old fleet needs to be replaced. Last week, the General Assembly endorsed spending $110 million for an overhaul, despite a budget shortfall that could top $1.5 billion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.