a funny but sad nursing home story....

itku2er

Well I am the first to defend the nursing home nurses but this time I have to relate a story that happened at the nursing home where i work. There was a code around 0330 am and the squad gets there CPR is in progress and the medic on scene is suctioning the patient before he can tube him, he looks at the nurse standing beside him and asked her to get him a bag to bag him the ambo bag is laying on the cot beside the nurse. She leaves the room comes back a few min later he has the patient tubed and is using a ambo bag to bag him. The nurse hands him a trash bag he looks at her and said what is that she replies the bag you asked for. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :D:D

Here is YOUR sign....I dont know what the hell she was thinking :roll: :roll: :roll:

ok here is your chance to tell me how bad NH nurses are.....

terr

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is funny, and a bit sad.

Here is another sad NH story.

Appearantly a Dallas Nursing home brought all the residents to the req room to watch a football game. The residents were all excited to see their undefeated home team slay the evil Patriots. Sadly the residents had to watch Tom Brady and the Pats defeat their beloved cowgirls. It was a truly sad day for all. :D

Peace,

Marty

911 call non-breather call

get there and the nurses are doing cpr on a patient who is sitting in her rocker.

Her eyes are open and she has this look on her face of "OH GOD HELP ME". I tell the nurses to stop cpr and they argue with me. Saying we can't stop cpr when it's been started

I tell her that I'm the medic and I'm a higher level of cert than she is and for her to stop hurting her patient.

she then storms out of the room.

I ask what the heck is going on that caused them to do cpr on an ovbiously conscious patient.

They told me they couldn't find a radial pulse.

I say Ok, but didn't her saying stop and it hurts give them a clue and they got pissed again and said, she didn't have a pulse

Ok, now I've got a bunch of rocket scientists in the room and I ask for the chart. They say they will go get it.

About 20 minutes later after calming this lovely old lady down, the director of nursing comes in and asks me to talk to her in the hallway. I obliged and went to the hall.

She proceeded to rip me a new one telling me never to kick her nurses out of a patients room again.

I was calm and collected and I said back to her, the only nurse I kicked out of the room was a cna who was doing cpr on a conscious woman who kept telling her to stop. I told her that her cna was not a nurse and that she may very well have broken several ribs and punctured her lung and I was transporting her to the hospital.

I also informed the nurse that I would be lodging a complaint against her nursing home to the department of aging, the elderly ombudsman and if I had my way I was going to report her nurse(CNA) to the department of health for not recognizing a conscious patient but still doing CPR on her anyway.

This shut the DON up real quick.

I also went further to discuss the legalities of a CNA trying to pass herself off as a RN on a Scene we worked about 2 months ago. This CNA was on scene at a bad car accident and she told me she was a nurse. She tried to direct me and my partners care by telling us to take care of the walking wounded who were bleeding instead of taking care of the one unconscious in the car.

She was shown to her vehicle by an all too obliging trooper who discussed interference with a EMS unit and she went on her way.

In the end, I received a formal apology letter from the director or nursing and an apology from the CNA in question.

I have many more stories but that was the highlight.

I once got called to a nursing home and this nurse, her name was Terri and she was so like, ditzy. She kept getting me a black plastic bag and trying to do mouth to mouth on the old geezers.

She was one time found drinking the pureed meat and then chasing it down with ensure and then she put on some depends so she didn't have to go to the bathroom at all that shift. .

If you ever get a nurse named Terri, be careful of her. She has some teddy bear friend named ED and another named Fred.

That is funny, and a bit sad.

Here is another sad NH story.

Appearantly a Dallas Nursing home brought all the residents to the req room to watch a football game. The residents were all excited to see their undefeated home team slay the evil Patriots. Sadly the residents had to watch Tom Brady and the Pats defeat their beloved cowgirls. It was a truly sad day for all. :D

Peace,

Marty

But I didnt call them smurfs :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I love that one marty thanks

I once got called to a nursing home and this nurse, her name was Terri and she was so like, ditzy. She kept getting me a black plastic bag and trying to do mouth to mouth on the old geezers.

She was one time found drinking the pureed meat and then chasing it down with ensure and then she put on some depends so she didn't have to go to the bathroom at all that shift. .

If you ever get a nurse named Terri, be careful of her. She has some teddy bear friend named ED and another named Fred.

LMAO too funny Ruff but dang it you promised not to tell anyone :roll: :roll: :roll:

I used to work in a nursing home, :D during which time I certified as an EMT A. I worked in the kitchen and we had one elderly woman who was on soft or pureed foods, someone fed her diced beets and she began to choke. She was a glorious color of Purple and not taking in any air. I stepped in and did the heimlich maneuver on her, she was in a wheelchair and I was able to successfully dislodge the beets. By the time I got that done the charge nurse came in and ripped me a new one for not doing a finger sweep of her mouth or pound her on the back first thing. She reported me to the Director of Nursing. I told the DON that I acted when no one else did, and that the woman was cyanotic and not moving any air, and I was not going to stick my fingers in anyone's mouth especially when they have teeth and still conscious. She agreed with me, wrote up the nurse and pointed out that there was a chart in the break room on proper hiemlich maneuvers and that the nurse should study it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.