JEMS should be a hit with the basics...

DwayneEMTP

I wonder if this decline is because Jim Page has passed on? Kind of like how Wal-Mart changed after Sam died.

Ya know... back in the 1970's and 1980's, I thought Cheech and Chong were the funniest shit ever. I practically pissed myself watching "Up In Smoke," "Nice Dreams," and "Next Movie." I watched them over and over and over, until I knew every line in the movie. And I STILL laughed! Last year, while sitting alone in a far away hotel room and flipping channels, I came across "Cheech & Chong's Next Movie" and got really excited. That had been one of my favourite movies ever! I sat there and watched the whole movie, giddy with anticipation that I was going to bust a gut and have a good ol time, just like every other time I had seen that movie. But I didn't. I didn't even chuckle. Not once. It just wasn't funny anymore. The movie hadn't changed. I had.

JEMS hasn't changed. We have changed. We've just been around long enough that we've heard it all before, and have outgrown the nonsense that ninety-percent of the people who read JEMS are just now getting into. We've moved on to the mature, professional issues that really affect the profession, and lost interest in all the superficial "cool factor" issues that gave us wood twenty years ago. The sad thing is, while we have grown up, the profession has not grown with us.

Unfortunately, JEMS is not a friend of the profession. JEMS is just entertainment for individuals. They know better than to tackle the serious issues of the profession on their pages. Their subscribership would drop to nothing, and they would go out of business. If they were to tackle the future of EMS in an intelligent manner, it would alienate the firemonkeys and the protocol monkeys who make up ninety-percent of EMS in this country, leaving only the serious few professionals, most of whom don't buy JEMS anyhow.

The same thing that killed the Republican party is killing EMS. This "big tent" nonsense of trying to be all inclusive and not offend anybody with reality will continue to strangle us until a significant number of us has the guts to stand up and speak the truth without fear of offending anybody. Right now, there are damn few in that category. Everybody else is in it for themselves, just like JEMS. They could not care less about the future of EMS, so long as they get their little piece of the pie.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've moved on to the mature, professional issues that really affect the profession, and lost interest in all the superficial "cool factor" issues that gave us wood twenty years ago.
Really good explanation.... though, I kind of regret missing out on that stage...I should have found EMTCity a year from now :lol:

I canceled my subscription to JEMS. It is a joke now, Bad articles, to much advertising.

EMS magazine has it beat hands down. Yes, they still have lots of advertising, but they always have some decent articles and more then one. Best of all, It's free!! :lol:

PM me the details?

thanks!

You know why I contribute money to EMT City? Because one day I realised, this is my professional journal, and it is worth paying for. I have gotten more quality education and entertainment -- not to mention a wife -- out of this website than I ever got out of JEMS, Emergency, EMS, or any other overpriced monthly rag during my career.

Can I say "monthly rag" here? :shock:

dammit, i still think cheech and chong is fantastic :lol:

I have never bothered getting a jems subscription, in fact, for all the hype JEMS has, i cant say i have ever actually used an article from it for any assignment i have done in the last 3 years.

Of course i have access to to as many JEMS mags as i want, but when i do reach for a mag, i reach for the Journal Of Emergency Primary Health Care, the rag for our professional body here in aus. Sure, it's not glossy. and it sure doesn't have the content of a lot of the older JEMS issues, but its relevent and no frills and more imprtantly, its written by australian ambo's for australian EMS.

Hmm. Well, I'm never one to advocate getting information from only one source.

I spose I could always get a subscription to Fire-EMS... :twisted:

Obviously, EMS providers could do a lot worse than JEMS.

Like, say, not taking the initiative or money to read any EMS publications at all.

Ya know... back in the 1970's and 1980's, I thought Cheech and Chong were the funniest shit ever. I practically pissed myself watching "Up In Smoke," "Nice Dreams," and "Next Movie." I watched them over and over and over, until I knew every line in the movie. And I STILL laughed! Last year, while sitting alone in a far away hotel room and flipping channels, I came across "Cheech & Chong's Next Movie" and got really excited. That had been one of my favourite movies ever! I sat there and watched the whole movie, giddy with anticipation that I was going to bust a gut and have a good ol time, just like every other time I had seen that movie. But I didn't. I didn't even chuckle. Not once. It just wasn't funny anymore. The movie hadn't changed. I had.

I can't believe your dissing Next Movie. Come on man, Cousin Red, Chicken Charlie, Pee-Wee Herman, space coke, what is not to love. I don't know about this, I am going to have to watch it again to test your theory.

Peace,

Marty

Can I say "monthly rag" here? :shock:
No. :wink:

I do, on occasion pick up the copy of JEMS that is sent to the station monthly.. I find, once in awhile, something that interests me. Some of the CEU articles are ok. For the most part however, I find it full of bum fluff that maybe entertaining in it's own way but not very educational.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.