JEMS should be a hit with the basics...

DwayneEMTP

I'm glad someone else said it! I feel the same way about JEMS. Occasionally they will come out with a few interesting articles, but in general I feel that most of it is poorly written, hardly researched, and very basic. It is sort of like reading a comic book.

JEMS does do a good job with the JEMS conference, though. I went last year and had a really good time, and I will be going again this year. Anyone else from here going?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been subscribing for a long time.. and if there was a reason to stop, it would be that it totally sucks this year. It's more of a trade show flier than an informative magazine. IMO, there has been a decline in quality over the past couple years.

But since they owe me till Jan. 2010, I won't send any letters to the editor yet. :lol:

Thanks for the heads up. I have been making similar comments to the staff. I will relay your concerns to the Publisher Jeff Berend. They do listen.

In answer to "where has that guy been?"

Brisbane

Gold Coast

Cairns

Tokyo

Los Angeles

Panama City

Orlando

San Antonio

Syracuse

Chicago (twice)

Las Vegas

That is just the last six weeks. I am sitting in Chicago and literally beat. IAFF is over Thursday and time off is coming soon as soon as conference season slows down. Thanks for asking.

Bryan

I stopped reading JEMS for two reasons. One was a scenario where they presented an EKG that was almost completely flat, yet claimed it was a ventricular rhythm with a pulse. I remarked to my partner that if anyone had a pulse with that you should be searching for a stake, mallet, and some holy water.

In addition, as Dust mentioned, I find they pander to the "Backboards can save lives, really", I-just-got-my-patch-and-I'm-a-hero set. Yes, JEMS, we know that your advertisers have warehouses full of brightly colored beeping things to move, but its still wrong to try and convince Skippy the wonder EMT he needs to buy one.

I stopped reading JEMS for two reasons. One was a scenario where they presented an EKG that was almost completely flat, yet claimed it was a ventricular rhythm with a pulse. I remarked to my partner that if anyone had a pulse with that you should be searching for a stake, mallet, and some holy water.

In addition, as Dust mentioned, I find they pander to the "Backboards can save lives, really", I-just-got-my-patch-and-I'm-a-hero set. Yes, JEMS, we know that your advertisers have warehouses full of brightly colored beeping things to move, but its still wrong to try and convince Skippy the wonder EMT he needs to buy one.

You act like skippy needs to be convinced in the first place. :D

I know I stopped reading it. Whenever I get a new issue, I just look at the pretty pictures (ya gotta admit, they do look cool) and read steve berrys cartoon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.