National Registry impending "Smackdown"

Ok, so I should have gone to the NREMT site before I replied. I guess it depends on how much you value the NR in front of your title. The reason I plan to keep my NR is for the reciprocity. The major problem I have had is the cost of testing. $110 seems like a bit much for a computer based test. Yes I'm cheap. However, this actually sounds like an easy way out compared to obtaining CEU's.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite all the whining going on in the start of this thread, I think there may be one valid point raised. No other branch of the medical community requires a full retest. So why should we?

However, with that being said, NREMT does not require a full retest. They offer this as an option to all of you whiners who can't be bothered to search out the appropriate continuing education in order to maintain your certs. If you're concerned about NREMT moving that way, requiring a retest for *everyone*, why piss and moan here? Why not write to them and tell them you don't want them to move that way?

Also, as has been said by the wiser members of the forum, if you can't pass the entry level test, do you really need to be working in the industry? Certainly something to think about...

-be safe

Mrmeaner, I hear you boy do I hear you but I think that one of the best decisions I made was letting my nr lapse. I'm not planning on changing locations unless something truly better comes my way and at this point I'm very happy.

I can keep my medic license in missouri, theres no rule that says I have to NR.

I still think that it's not a big deal to take a computerized test unless they do not offer that computer test in many locations. They make it prohibitive when they start to have people drive long distances to take the test.

It should be available to all and if that means that they offer it to take at home then so be it.

Mrmeaner, I hear you boy do I hear you but I think that one of the best decisions I made was letting my nr lapse. I'm not planning on changing locations unless something truly better comes my way and at this point I'm very happy.

I can keep my medic license in missouri, theres no rule that says I have to NR.

I still think that it's not a big deal to take a computerized test unless they do not offer that computer test in many locations. They make it prohibitive when they start to have people drive long distances to take the test.

It should be available to all and if that means that they offer it to take at home then so be it.

I have to disagree with you.

First, it should never be offered at home as that destroys all validity of the testing process. How do you say one person can and one person cant, what parameters do you use to justify this geographic problem? Then you eventually have to allow all or some unscrupulous characters may find ways around it. The CBT definitely needs to stay in a testing center.

Second, I am sorry if you can not find it within yourself to drive a few hours in any direction to get to a testing center. If it is not worth it to you, then how bad do you really want it? Why do you feel such an entitlement, that one should make it as easy as possible for you or not have it at all?

As far as using CBT for recert, I would rather drive for an entire day and test than sit or commute 4-5 days in a row for a refresher. I mean we are talking once every two years here, you have adequate time to save and prepare for it.

As far as intial testing, again if there is no testing center close by, then how the heck did they get enough people together for a medic class to begin with? You are way too rural...lol. But lets say they did get a class and there was no testing center. This is where the NR should consider mobile testing labs. Kind of like a Bloodmobile, only for testing instead. Travel to these outlying areas with plenty of advance notice, and all people within certain mile radius drive to the mobile testing center.

Too rural. :lol: I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from here. My graduating class was 3. I haven't had a medic refresher yet, so I can't comment on it's value. However, I would think a refresher would be better for the first recert. I agree that an "open book" test is not a good option as it would decrease the credibility.

There would be no point to keeping up with their almost impossible list of CE's ...

Almost impossible??? You're kidding, right? To maintain my medical I'm required to obtain 36 hours a year, which averages to three hours a month. We also have to do a skills session at least once a year. By maintaining my medical control one year and doing my 36 hours, and taking a refresher the following year I manage to obtain my medical control requirement and significantly more continuing education credits than required for the national registry. If your medical control doesn't require a fair number of hours, they should address that in their system.

Shane

NREMT-P

I figured this would attract some interest. First, I was by no means whining, I passed the State and National Registry Paramedic Exams along with every other exam I have ever taken. Furthermore I attended both Community College and University, am a State Certified Paramedic Level Instructor and a Critical Care Paramedic. I am also an instructor in virtually all of the tertiary certification courses. I take exception to your implication of ineptitude on my part as related my views on this silly exam. I have always had plenty of con-ed hours to re-cert and really believed the Registry would serve as the National EMS credentialing body.

In the early days the registry was a prestigious patch to display on one's sleeve. There were very few of us with the NREMTP and we were proud. The emblem served as a doorway to discussion with other healthcare providers and once they understood we were "Registered" it seemed to add a degree of credibility to being a Paramedic. Physicians, Registered Nurses, Registered Respiratory Therapists, Registered Radiology folks etc seemed to understand that there were "registered" prehospital providers instead of "ambulance drivers".

As to the assertion that my post was a “conspiracy theory” I suppose time will tell as to the accuracy of my suspicion regarding the registry moving toward “requiring” the exam for re-registration. You might take a moment and visit the registry webpage then follow the link to the NHTSA report on national re-registration before you finalize your opinion.

As I have said in the earlier post, this is a matter of respect. We deserve better from the ONLY national entity that was supposed to represent us and our profession. At this point I am not optimistic that this can be headed off due to the hidden influence of nurses and administrators, etc that stand to benefit from keeping the EMS community under their thumb and in check. Consider the difference in pay between registered nurses and LPNs and I think you could easily see a parallel between certified vs registered EMT's and Paramedics. The connotation of being registered carries much more than a shoulder patch folks. If the Registry moves forward with re-testing then to me they become no different that the individual state credentialing process and as such the Registry is no longer necessary. If this is simply an effort to enhance the NREMT bottom line then I would suggest increasing the fees for registration / reregistration and abandon the retesting nonsense. Otherwise I would suggest they change the NREMT acronym to the NCEMT (National Certification of EMT’s) or perhaps the (NLOTTSTBTR) National List of those too stupid to be truly registered.

Why take it out on the NREMT? They simply design an exam process based on the national standard curriculum. If the process is no longer prestigious, then you have bigger problems than the organization that provides the exam. Hence, the numerous discussions relating to EMS education and curriculum development.

Take care,

chbare.

Boo hoo, Boo hoo ! What a bunch of whiners! One can take the usual PHTLS, PALS, etc and meet requirements easily a whopping 24 hrs for Paramedic level. You mean your service does not provide CEU's ( at least one to two hours a month) ? Then you probably have a problem in other areas.

Pleas really review other certifications and licenses. P.A.-C. (physician assistants) have to have CEU's as well as challenge the board exam every six years.. and we complain. Can one imagine working for a dermatologist for 6 years, and now be tested over pediatric and cardiac questions?

The same as any of my speciality board credentials... CCRN, CEN, either meet their CEU's or challenge the test again, in which I do. It makes me review and study.. it is called credibility.

So before we attempt the conspiracy theory.. let's really look around. This is a great alternative to re-register to an agency that promotes professionalism and some form of unity in EMS.

R/r 911

I have put a lot of thought into all of the replies to my initial post on this subject and am impressed with the varying dialogue. One item I haven't seen mentioned is the fact that with few exceptions paramedics in the US aren't licensed. Perhaps this is the reason we have to play these games and continue to suffer a quasi "identity crisis" Over the sixteen years I have been in this business I have seen the profession as it were denigrated to a point that no one enters EMS to remain there anymore. Most simply use EMS as a stepping stone to other disciplines. EMS is a noble profession and I think worthy of folks that want to be there for the long haul. Clearly back injuries, poor pay, exposure to some of the worst sights, sounds and smells imaginable compound the challenges faced by providers. I believe our frustration with the scope of practice often lead the brightest best folks to abandon the profession far too early. Herein lies the core of my sadness with this registry thing. I will of course re-register by whatever means necessary. I simply wish the registry could figure out a way of ensuring continued competency without having to resort to re-testing as I still believe this is a huge step backward in the evolution of EMS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.