GPS Navigaors

iadybug423

GPS systems can be great, especially for door to door directions. It does take about a minute or two to type all of the info in on one screen. I've heard many places where they have configured their GPS system to automatically add itself when the call goes out through CAD (Computer Automated Dispatch). But like I said before, GPS systems can be great, but it shouldn't be a replacement for map reading skills. Many times has the GPS been wrong. It is only a computer...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garmin seems to be the most popular (according to the guy I spoke with at Cabela's when researching the topic), though both Garmin and Magellan have been around for a long time and are known to make good units.

On the handheld side, Magellan has a new line coming out, Triton, which looks pretty darn cool. I am, however, somewhat hesitant to buy version 1.0 of anything.

You'll have to decide if you want a handheld model or a car mounted one. Car mounted ones have larger screens, but the handheld one gives you added functionality since it's portable and you can take it into the back woods.

Color will cost you more. High sensitivity, which gets a signal more easily in heavy treecover and natural depressions in the land, will cost you more. Optional features include barometer and compass. You'll have to ask yourself if you really need either of these.

One thing to look for is the expandability. Some GPS units allow you to download various maps to the memory chip, while others only provide them preloaded on chips that they sell. Consider also whether or not you will need topomaps. If driving, no. If hiking or doing SAR, yes.

One thing that a lot of folks don't know is that helicopters can navigate to coordinates. We do some fairly rural operations with our SWAT team here, and having coordinates means I can land a medevac in the backcountry pretty easily. Even in suburban ops, having coordinates can reduce confusion. When I was a medic, we had GPS on the truck, and that info would often be provided by dispatch to the responding helicopter (our GPS units were part of a system-wide vehicle locator and system status management program). A basic handheld GPS that will just give you coordinates will run you about $100.

'zilla

Yes, my gps devices are a map, a compass and a wife. Usually the wife is pretty spot on.

Don't even think about asking for directions.

Why spend 400 bucks on a garmin when you can have a priceless wife by your side.

Someone mentioned medevac helos have GPS. I would trust those better than one in a ground vehicle, as an aviation GPS will help the pilot avoid large objects like mountains. It would kind of hurt someone, if a chopper ran into one at high speed at night.

Yes, I am being flippant, but that is how I feel. Ground vehicle GPS is improving, however.

• 1 month later...

The service I work for has a GPS system in every unit. Some of them don't work. Some work only some of the time. But the new ones that we have are amazing!! The new ones are the Magellan Maestro 4000's. Completely touch screen and user-friendly. Just takes but a second to enter the address and off you go. Plus if you get stuck in traffic. They run around $350 each.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

we have gps in our ambulances nd they definitely make huge difference for our drivers much easier to find where we are going saves precious minutes for patients esp during "the golden hour"etc we cn get em and do what we gotta do no matter wether its a load n go or not they definitely help but then if they arent updated properly or they fail to find an address(we hve alot of new developments ...new roads,etc )it can be just another piece of useless equipment so it is only a good tool if updated if not forget it it int worth crap .....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.