DOA's

brentoli

If it appears to be natural causes, we call the dr to have the certificate signed, then call the funeral home. Police/Sheriff's Dept always respond to these with us. So we can mark back in service. Lots of times if the funeral home can't come immediately we transport to the morgue and leave the body there for funeral home. Anything not natural (MVA, SIDS, any children) we call coroner and wait on scene for him, he makes the call whether we need to transport for a autopsy or to call the funeral home.

I did have a terminally ill 2 yo that passed, the child's parents had a vaild DNR, but due to it being a 2yo I still called coroner just to CMA.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call the funeral home, the police, and the JP.

Perhaps that is a local set of initials, but, what is/are the "JP"?

By the way, for anyone I may have confused, I use "Coroner's Office" and "Medical Examiner's Office" interchangeably.

PD is dispatched and handles it all. If patient was under a doctor's care, they contact doctor, then allow family to call a mortuary service. If not, PD waits for coroner to arrive. Highest medical authority on-scene usually does the on-scene death notification. PD does all others.

We handle DOA similar to Yummymedic. A call is placed to the patients primary physician who hopefully will sign the death certificate. The Coroner or funeral home is contacted to come to the residence or wherever. PD always responds with us so they wait until the body is picked up.

We do not transport dead people.

we respond, go in confirm obvious death, contact dispatch, dispatch contacts the corner, corner comes, does there thing, decides if they want them taken to the morgue, if so, we transport, if not, funeral home comes, we load em into the funeral home vehicle, and then go about our day. as for pd, they are only required if its suspicious, but they tend to come anyway. as for dealing with the family, we just do our best to try to comfort them, but all theones ive been to have just asked for privacy so..

AT one service I work for we respond confirm death and contact Coroner they arrive and release us and they call Funeral Home and if we or Coroner Sees anything out of place we contact PD. at the Other we respond and confirm Death contact Coroner who responds and If pt is going to Medical Examiners office for Post we Transport if not the funeral home transports unless they will be long in responding we transport at Coroners request we have contract with Coroners Office for Transports for them. PD is same only as needed or if they decide to show up to help

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.