Medics on Antidepressants

So again I will ask.... where do we draw the line? ...<snip>... Do we refuse to let them treat a patient?

Yep. That's the beauty of a non-public, non-union service. You can actually choose to employ only the most qualified, and not be forced to hang on to the undesirables.

...whether we want to admit it or not, our own services create this, regardless of medication. Consider the medic who has been on a 24 or 48 hour shift, and hasn't had any sleep yet. Impaired? Probably...

Speak for yourself. No agency worth a shyte schedules their people for those kinds of shifts. This is the twenty-first goddamn century. Only complete idiots have not progressed past the firemonkey roots of 24 hour shifts. If you are running those kinds of shifts, you probably work for idiots.

Singling out those who are on anti-depressant medications as impaired seems a little narrow-minded. If you have factual evidence that they can't do their job, that is a completely different story... but to just categorize them into "impaired" or "unfit" is a judgment which appears to be based more on opinion than fact.

I don't ever recall saying I was reciting scientific fact. We were asked for our opinions here. You have a problem with that?

Speak for yourself. No agency worth a shyte schedules their people for those kinds of shifts. This is the twenty-first goddamn century. Only complete idiots have not progressed past the firemonkey roots of 24 hour shifts. If you are running those kinds of shifts, you probably work for idiots.

Well, 24 hour shifts seems to be the standard for the 911 jobs in Southern Calif... Oh, wait. You excluded fire chimps. Please ignore this post.

I was speaking in general terms... My service does NOT allow 24 hour shifts - the longest shift is a 14 hour; however, I have spoken to many on this site who work 24, 48, and even 96 hour shifts. It would appear to be not nearly as rare as we would like it to be. I never said I agreed with those types of shifts. My point was where do you draw the line at impairment? And how do you single out "impairment" as being only medication related?

I don't ever recall saying I was reciting scientific fact. We were asked for our opinions here. You have a problem with that?

Wow - the aggression tactic is less than professional. We are all entitled to our opinions here. We are also allowed to question others on their opinions in an effort to discuss a topic as adults. Relax Dust... Trying to get you to expand on your opinion and provide your ideas of solutions in more detail and practical application, other than "not hiring undesirables" is what I am aiming for.

Now, if you think I have a "problem" with you voicing your opinion, no, I do not. If you expect me to just blindly agree with everything you post on these forums, I will not. When I want more information, or you to expand on your opinions, I will ask. If you see that as "having a problem" then any respect I have for you and your opinions will deteriorate significantly.

what about people who are on antidepressants for non depression reasons? ie migraines. i happen to fall in that category. i have no depression, never had, but have to stay on an antidepressant or my migraines get terrible. does that make me ineligible for EMS?

I would be more concerned about someone NOT on medication that those who are. The ones not being medicated are not under a physicians supervision and therefore may be more dangerous than those who sought out help for their problem. Non-medicated depressives could be suicidal to the point that they steal drugs from the unit to off themselves, or don't care about anyone else around them and are harmful to patients and their partners.

An opinion on hiring someone or not hiring them must be based upon verifiable facts to have credibility. An opinion based on emotion alone invites challenge....

For example, the statement that medics who are on antidepressant medications are inherently "altered" seems pretty naive unless you've got some facts to indicate that depressed medics NOT on antidepressants are *less* altered than their medicated counterparts.... and that both classes are unable to do their jobs effectively...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

An opinion on hiring someone or not hiring them must be based upon verifiable facts to have credibility. An opinion based on emotion alone invites challenge....

Out of curiosity, have you ever been in a position to hire and/or fire anyone knowing that you were responsible for not only their work performance, but also for their decision making ability regarding patients.

I don't intend that to be offensive, I'm just trying to get a better idea of your stance.

I for one sure would rather work with someone .... and have them work on me for that matter... if they are depressed, etc and are on medication if need be rather than have someone who is depressed, etc and NOT taking something. These drugs, if taken properly, are meant to make you "back to normal" for a lack of better terms.

If someone is depressed and not taking medication, they are more impaired than anyone taking meds. They have an altered mental status because they are unable to think clearly and concentrate on what needs to be done.

I think it is very unfair for someone to judge another person (especially when they don't know them) and classify them as "undesirable" because they are on medication. Instead, they should look at these people as responsible individuals who have realized they need help and have gone to get that help.

This thread has actually been an enlightenment as to how many of you would not work witm someone like myself because I am on SSRI's or other types of anti depressants. Actually makes me sad to say that you would all happily call me a friend or say you would work with me and then when some of you type things like you would never want to to work with a medic on anti depressants or have one treat your/beloved family member, it actually makes you out to be liars.

This thread has shown in reality that there are biggoted and judgemental people out there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.