Medics on Antidepressants

So you are more concerned about paperwork than the lives of your co-workers?

I suppose I should have labelled my sarcasm there. Sorry about that. :wink:

And if they are properly medicated, then why would they off themselves?

If we could answer that question, we could stop depression related suicide, couldn't we? Medicating depressed patients is not an exact science. There is no way to reliably determine when they are "properly" medicated, or at what point that medication needs to change, until they start displaying breakthrough symptoms.

Annie is right...non-medicated, physician supervised, depressives are chemically altered...so are you going to be screening employees 24/7 for signs of depression?? Because I would like to see where you get THAT funding because guess what...people get depressed.

Huh? Dude, psychological screening of people for sensitive positions has been going on quite successfully for decades. It is a requirement for cops, and their positions are not nearly as sensitive as ours. How can we afford it? The question is, "how can we not afford it?"!

The point is how to we discriminate between anti-depressants, cold medicine, being hung over, and the bodies natural hormones and chemical imbalances.

Did somebody here suggest we should discriminate? I never did. But, as Ruff made clear, this topic is very specifically about antidepressants. There are other topics about substance abuse, so I didn't feel it necessary to rehash them here.

Okay, I have tried to read through all 5 pages of replies with an open mind but sorry folks, many of you have shown your ignorance of mental health issues! Many if not all of mental health issues are caused by a chemical imbalance. If the antidepressent is correctly prescribed and it is a hit or miss deal, the person will not present in an "altered" state. Think about what we do, either paid or volly we are exposed to stressful situations, scenes that will be burned in our memories and many what if moments. Think about the soldiers that are coming back with PTSD. Their brain chemistry is altered from being in a constant state of flight or fight. Once they get treatment many of them are back to their pre-deploment state of mind.

I can think of one over prescribed drug that will cause a child to be a zomie, ritalin or any of its forms. If a person truly has ADHD/ADD that little pill is a life saver. For those kids that the teacher or parents think is too hyper and is medicated will present spaced out. ADHD is thought to be caused by low levels of dopamine in the frontal lobe. Medicate the problem, raise the levels and the person is "normal".

Now getting back to the original question. SSRI's, MAOIs can not be used as a prophylactic treatment. If you don't need the drug you are not going to see any benefits. It can actually make a person depressed, spacey, or a little off. I highly recommend the Physicians Desk Reference and the DSM-IV for your next reading assignment. Amazingly enlightening!!

I highly recommend the Physicians Desk Reference and the DSM-IV for your next reading assignment. Amazingly enlightening!!
Owned and Read.

Interesting lecture, but really, what was your point? And, would you work with a medic partner taking antidepressants?

I have worked with medics that were taking antidepressants and I currently work with one. I have never seen any reason to doubt their judgment or treatment. You would be totally shocked at how many "normal" people take antidepressants.

Thank you and thank you for your points, Dust, you actually shock me with some of your comments through this, and there has been a documentary on the discovery channel the last couple nights, that has been talking about people in law enforcement being segragated and singled out because of the pure fact they got help for their depression. Instead of being commended and supported for getting help and assisted with problems, you and the other mindless followers on here, seem to knock them and purely shut the door.

Anti depressants do make you drowzy for the first couple weeks and knock you for six, and it would be the responsability of the person taking them to ensure they didnt work during this time or monitored it in correlation with a physician. I started my SSRI's as a paramedic student, during term break and when it came to road time, people noticed a change in me for the better.

This thread is bringing out the haters and judgers or perhaps people who are too afraid to admit that they have issues and are feeling weak because they see medication as a failing. I know this seems the attitude dust has as he is military and hey, hope that shrapnel in the leg doesnt give you ptsd, hate for you to end up sad and depressed like those you seem to think are weak dust.

This thread has shown that the macho culture of suck it up and don't do anything about it, is alive and well. Care for yourself first and you will be a better practioner! I have learned quite lot about this recently and will continue to but this thread is FUBAR. Alot of us are here to learn new things and personal afronts serve no progress. KILL THIS THREAD PLEASE!

In all seriousness......

Should you chose to discriminate and state that anyone who takes an anti-depressant to help them cope with stress of the job, shouldn't be doing EMS, toting that the drugs (in general) allow for an increased crew memebers and patient safety risk... The overall percentage for the risk is just as small was working with an obse partner and they code (due to massive MI) on you while their driving the rig. Extremly small percentage. If its going to help them stay at the top of their game and deal with the stress..... give it to them. But if the drug ultimately alters their decision making process, (such as certain drugs perscribed) they should be monitored closely with medical direction and document monthly evaluations

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.