1. 1.

• Yes, We need a professional look
    • No, I like looking like a cop/FF
    • I prefer to wear whatever I want

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just have a standard cop style shirt with your qualification level written on it (e.g. "PARAMEDIC" ), black pants and shoes. We also have a dark green V neck jersey if you want - but that just has "St John" written on it.

I know most guys in the UK and Oz wear a green or blue jumpsuit with the Star of Life on the back and "PARAMEDIC" in big letters.

Didn't NYC*EMS do something like that ...I seem to remember them using a white shirt and dark green or blue jacket?

Just prior to the merger into the FDNY, the NYC EMS used white shirts, green pants, jackets and ties. Collar pins indicated from what station you were from, or your rank by LT and Captain bars, and oak leaves and stars for different level chiefs.

Differentiation between EMTs and Paramedics was by the "state" patch on the right shoulder, no matter what station or rank.

Green baseball cap with the NYC EMS patch for headgear, or go "spiffy" for "dress uniform" with a green "8 point Garrison Hat".

With that uniform, we were still mistaken for Sanitation Department supervisors, or NYC Parks Department personnel.

We also used badges. When I first came on, it was a stop-sign shaped thing, and later, we started using a "New York/New Jersey Port Authority Police Department" style shield. This shield had, side by side, the emblem, of the city of New York, and a Star Of Life, as the NY/NJ PAPD has side by side seals of the 2 states.

Now, although, as covered in other strings, we are not allowed to display the badge on either the work or class A dress uniforms, we now have a "fireamatic" Maltese Cross type design badge, which most in the FDNY EMS claim looks like it came as a CrackerJack Prize.

Well now we cant have you looking like a firefighter now can we, thats a "promotion" - *tounge in cheek* - what a crock, I feel sorry for you guys who aren't even allowed in the house and get dumped at some CSL where the crazies can badge you.

Far as uniform, I like the dark blue or green jumpsuit (like the Londoners wear) with the SoL all over it or something like ours, just a shirt and pants.

I know one or two places that use total white - I wonder if they have a Superior ambulance with the yellow lights and glass IVs too!

We don't even have the Star of Life on ours - we used to but not any more, and our protective clothing is a hard hat and a reflective vest. I sure could go for the thick bunker coat those FDNY guys stuck at ther CSL's have.

I think for safety medics need to be "nuteral" ie not look like a cop so that the nutters don't confuse the two.

Bring on the jumpsuit! :lol:

Overhear in the UK we have been wearing green uniforms for sometime now, the Ambulance services do have different styles but have found that with the Green & Yellow reflective safety jackets do remove them from looking like the Police & Fire services.

The type of uniform style that is used mostly here are dark or kelly coloured green combat trousers

short sleeved shirts with pockets for torches,Pens etc and epauletts with service name and grade in blue or green,some service also wear red,also a Blue or white T-shirt is worn under the shirt and top jackets in green or green & yellow with reflective words on the front & Back ie, Ambulance or Paramedic & Emergency Medical Technician.

I forgot something.

The Fire fighters of FDNY don't wear their badges on either the work or dress uniform, but they also carry one for identification, in addition, or instead, of the ID card.

For the "Class A Dress Uniform" "Bell Cap", so called as it kind of looks like a bell, the emblematic cap device is a Maltese Cross for the Fire fighters, and a Star Of Life circle thingy for us EMS folks.

Also, after a couple of years post merger, the department finally allowed the EMS Captains and Chiefs to wear the dress uniform white colored hats, instead of blue with the assorted silver and gold bands, and the "Scrambled Eggs" on the brims for the Chiefs. At least it LOOKS like some kind of uniform "equality".

For those who cannot picture the Bell Cap design, think a Railroad Conductor's style hat, seems the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I still like the idea of a high quality form fitted scrub talk with EMS pants.

What exactly is a scrub talk anyhow? Is that when your grandma threatens to wash your mouth out with soap for sassing her? B)

Scrub tops that are too form fitting look gay. I'm all for scrubs, but they weren't maid to fit like danceskins. They should have a little comfort and breathing room. I don't wanna see your man boobs or your hairy pits.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.