The 3-yr. old asks, "Why?"

StickEm

I suppose my question speaks directly to those who are in this line of work and get peeved when they can't relocate to another state or transfer credits to a college to further their edumacation.

I am well aware that the NR is a money-making scheme, but it also serves a higher purpose. That purpose is to prove competency WITH REGARDS TO BASIC AND PROFESSIONALLY ACCEPTED PRACTICES in the field of EMS.

This gives us the option of moving around and not having to "prove" that we can do the job asked of us, in thse states that participate.

GA does participate, though it is not necessary to be an EMT B, I, or P.

All you need is a state lisence.

The school I went to is regarded as having the best program in the whole state, with direct involvement and input from the state's medical director. I could have gone to a handful of other schools, but immediately saw the value in having those hard-earned credits be transferrable towards a degree or at least towards another program, (i.e. nursing, rad tech, etc.,) Also, being nationally registered gives me the option of moving to a participating state should the need/desire arise.

What's not to like about that?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old topic. Use the search feature. Discussed, argued, and the answer we will never know like how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie pop center 8)

Grape.. 371

Nobody watches the commercials anymore: the owl reached the center of the tootsie roll pop after 3 licks!

Ruffems said

I know several medics who have tried to take national registry after they have been out in the field for many years. they failed each time because they didn't know the national registries standard for testing.

It's hard for someone who was not taught the national registry way to actually pass their test. You have a better chance passing it directly out of school than taking it 5 years or 10 years down the road.

That might explain why I failed the NR test when I took it, all those years ago: I had already been an EMT for some years, and somewhat set in my ways.

Nobody watches the commercials anymore: the owl reached the center of the tootsie roll pop after 3 licks!

Ruffems said

That might explain why I failed the NR test when I took it, all those years ago: I had already been an EMT for some years, and somewhat set in my ways.

I just took mine for the first time on Monday, and it was a hoot!

The one thing I seemed to notice though about the experienced medics was their unwillingness to 'bend' to the NR standard. Understanding I only had conversations with 4-5 (there were perhaps 40 medics/students testing) of the experienced medics, but the attitude seemed to be “This is how I do it, and they're just going to have to deal with that.”

My personal experience has been that the NR doesn't really have to deal anything. They make the rules, hold all the cards, etc.

I got to proctor for the basic NR, and I was telling some of the waiting students “There's nobody dying here today, no real emergency. The proctors don't care if you look good doing what you're doing, they just want to know if they can mark each box on your skill sheet. It's just a real life video game! Run through, pick up all your points, and go home.”

That's pretty much the way I viewed it. I just chilled, (hell, you can have three tries per station) thought about it as a game, tried to steal all of my Wanka points from the evil proctor, and went home. Passed all stations first time through (with one protest on dynamic cardiology).

The experience medics, all of who were kind, funny, and much smarter than I, seemed to have a need to buck the system, and I think it hurt many of them. They sure as hell weren't to dumb to pass, just had a real life approach to a bunch of fantasy problems...

Just my thoughts.

Have a great day all!

Dwayne

but I'll bet that if you ask those same medics in several weeks if they passed or not they will tell you that they failed at least one station if not more.

If you don't go right down the NR line in testing then you WILL fail. NO if's ands or buts about it.

If you don't go right down the NR line in testing then you WILL fail. NO if's ands or buts about it.

That is for sure. On my first attempt, I got failed on traction splinting for not using a partner to pull traction for me while applying a SAGER SPLINT. Yes, we all know -- including the examiner -- that you don't pull manual traction before applying a Sager Splint, but hey... it's on the checksheet, so you have to do it anyhow. Idiots.

However, I have seen on multiple occasions that, even if you do go right down the NR line, you can still fail. The examiners are human with human fallability. They misunderstand things you say. They misinterpret things you say. They forget to tell you things they were supposed to tell you. They get distracted and overlook things you do. And some of them are just idiots.

Even the best prepared candidates run a risk of failing the NR practical because the process simply is not objective enough. It should be trashed altogether.

Old topic. Use the search feature. Discussed, argued, and the answer we will never know like how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie pop center 8)

That depends if you have all day to go through 2344 topics just to find the one already discussed, I dont think so. I have better things to do. :-s

That depends if you have all day to go through 2344 topics just to find the one already discussed, I dont think so. I have better things to do. :-s

That's why it's a key word search.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.