BLS before ALS

What do EMT Basics do? Well that depend upon the system that employs them. If the system forces an EMT B to be a taxi driver and a gopher then that is what will be done. If the system allows the aforementioned provider to perform skills and interventions then that is what will be done. All systems have their fair share of idiocy and excellence. After a decade of seeing many different forms of service and how the levels interact, I feel that EMT B providers are being held back by the ego of the EMT Paramedic provider.

A request was made to have an explanation of what EMT Basics do, see if you can follow.

Airway

o OPA and NPA

o Combitube

o LMA

o King

o LMA

o ETT

o BVM

Of the above the most important is the use of a BVM to maintain PEEP and thus splint open the airway

Breathing

o Ventilation at the appropriate rate

o Proper BVM technique

Circulation

o CPR

o Bleeding Control

o Warming or cooling patients

This covers most of the stuff that we do. EMT Basics are also expert people movers and packaging is something else that is mastered.

In response to what makes them better than the high school kid with a first aid class, simple we come with the ambulance and we don’t really need you EMT Paramedics if you are going to be stupid and wast our time.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to discuss on this thread. I think I can identify a few general points:

1) Explain the Basic EMT scope of practice.

2) Paramedic ego hold back BLS providers.

3) BLS providers do not need paramedics if the paramedics are stupid.

4) BLS providers are more useful than first aid trained high school students.

Is there a general point of discussion to this thread? You will have to better articulate your stance and perhaps be a little more specific in your deliver or you may take a few hits from some of the other members on this board.

Take care,

chbare.

chbare thanks for asking for more. After we get clarification a search will probably show that any point to be focused on has been done many times. You know me I'll beat a dead horse, but this horse has decomposed.

What do EMT Basics do? A request was made to have an explanation of what EMT Basics do, see if you can follow.

Airway

o ETT :shock:

when in the heck did this happen...and if you can drop a tube thats a little scary :shock:

when in the heck did this happen...and if you can drop a tube thats a little scary :shock:

Sure Kyle anybody can they just usually miss and are not educated enough to catch it. Kyle I'm glad you realize the need for more education to do more skills.

What do EMT Basics do? Well that depend upon the system that employs them. If the system forces an EMT B to be a taxi driver and a gopher then that is what will be done. If the system allows the aforementioned provider to perform skills and interventions then that is what will be done. All systems have their fair share of idiocy and excellence. After a decade of seeing many different forms of service and how the levels interact, I feel that EMT B providers are being held back by the ego of the EMT Paramedic provider.

A request was made to have an explanation of what EMT Basics do, see if you can follow.

Airway

o OPA and NPA

o Combitube

o LMA

o King

o LMA

o ETT

o BVM

Of the above the most important is the use of a BVM to maintain PEEP and thus splint open the airway

Breathing

o Ventilation at the appropriate rate

o Proper BVM technique

Circulation

o CPR

o Bleeding Control

o Warming or cooling patients

This covers most of the stuff that we do. EMT Basics are also expert people movers and packaging is something else that is mastered.

In response to what makes them better than the high school kid with a first aid class, simple we come with the ambulance and we don’t really need you EMT Paramedics if you are going to be stupid and wast our time.

Interesting first post to say the least. Refresh our memories please, where was the BLS scope of practice asked? I don't recall reading that particular thread. And it seems as though others missed it as well.

As far as the "ego of the paramedic provider" comment, I find it hard to believe that you think it's an ego thing. In my opinion, this demonstrates your lack of understanding or even ignorance with regard to EMS as a profession and also as to the skill sets of differing providers.

So the thing that makes you better than a high school student with a first aid course is that you can bring the ambualnce for transport? That's good that you have it. Because the scope of practice for a BLS provider is quite limited for a true medical emergency. You're going to need the rapid transport. I think you're misinformed if you feel that a 120-140 hour EMT-Basic course that teaches little to no critical thinking is sufficient to handle an emergency, even over a "stupid" paramedic to "waste your time." It's my opinion that a paramedic is better educated to deem weather an EMT-basic is needed than an EMT-Basic is to decide if a paramedic is truely needed. The educational process for the two are distinctly different. And no matter how you look at it, the paramedic curriculum is far more in depth.

If you want to be a good EMT, then maybe you could take some of your time and sit through an A&P course. Then you might have a leg to stand on. Remember, most paramedics have spent more hours sitting in anatomy & physiology class learning about the human body and how it functions than you spent to become an EMT-Basic. The current EMT-basic program is little more than a glorified, feel good first aid course. In fact, most people including myself feel that the EMT-Basic program isn't adequate for little more than interfacility transfers.

Shane

NREMT-P

More proof positive that most Basics do not even know what they can or cannot do. Individual states may allow certain procedures such as combi, king or intubation, but not according to the National EMS and Basic EMT Curriculum. Other than those special skills that was mentioned, ARC Advanced First-Aid can do the same, even my Boy Scouts. So what is your point?

I would be sure before defending one self, that I thoroughly knew my education, skill, and expectation levels before making such claims. It makes one look very foolish.

The first part of Basic EMT training should be to know what the national standards and

ability they can perform. Obviously, this too is another thing lacking in their education.

R/r 911

Our next thread on "where is that topic now", put your hands together for our friend the dead horse!

<crowd goes wild>

Beaten the hell out of world over in classrooms, ambulances and web forums, they say that this horse has more lives than satans cat, is made entirely of carbon steel and is related to the fall of the city of troy, make im welcom, Mr Ed!!!

:lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.