BLS before ALS

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About this whole "intercept" thing... the concept itself is pretty foreign to me. I've thankfully never worked in a "tiered" system. Every system I ever worked in had all trucks staffed with a medic. Actually, usually two medics, or a medic and an RN. Intermediates have been a dying breed in most of Texas for almost 20 years. I part-timed at a rural county service for a few years that ran two trucks, and sometimes one of them would run with only an Intermediate on board instead of a medic. In that time, I never experienced being inappropriately called for a scene intercept. They may not have all needed ALS interventions, but they all certainly needed ALS assessment. And the Intermediate was good about not calling for an intercept when it would delay the patient's transport. Of course, I have no idea how many times he didn't call for a medic when he should have, but I don't think that was a significant problem.

Is this inappropriate use of intercepts really a rampant problem in places?

Is this inappropriate use of intercepts really a rampant problem in places?

Yes actually, but it is mostly perpetrated by the medics who tell all the n00b B's and I's that they must request ALS for just about everything. The B's and I's pretty much end up learning nothing as they now only have the job of navigating to the hospital.

But the next day when they are hanging out with their other n00b friends they talk about this awesome 911 call that they needed ALS for and they proclaim how awesome they are and how skilled they are and all the experience they have, but they still don't know how to do a sheet-transfer without causing patients pain.

It is equal parts bad BLS providers not striving to get involved, and bad ALS providers not allowing any independent thought or evaluation.

• 2 months later...

Yes actually, but it is mostly perpetrated by the medics who tell all the n00b B's and I's that they must request ALS for just about everything. The B's and I's pretty much end up learning nothing as they now only have the job of navigating to the hospital.

But the next day when they are hanging out with their other n00b friends they talk about this awesome 911 call that they needed ALS for and they proclaim how awesome they are and how skilled they are and all the experience they have, but they still don't know how to do a sheet-transfer without causing patients pain.

It is equal parts bad BLS providers not striving to get involved, and bad ALS providers not allowing any independent thought or evaluation.

Cos, I have to disagree with you on this point. I worked in a service that did a high number of intercepts, and as MEDICS, I never, nor do I know of any of my partner EMT-Ps ever chastizing an EMT, for not calling for a medic intercept, actually, it was quite the opposite, they would call us inappropriately for medic intercept, when it would actually delay the patients arrival at the ER and there was not much ALS to be done except maybe I.V., EKG and transport.

Just my 2 cents.

Cos, I have to disagree with you on this point. I worked in a service that did a high number of intercepts, and as MEDICS, I never, nor do I know of any of my partner EMT-Ps ever chastizing an EMT, for not calling for a medic intercept, actually, it was quite the opposite, they would call us inappropriately for medic intercept, when it would actually delay the patients arrival at the ER and there was not much ALS to be done except maybe I.V., EKG and transport.

Just my 2 cents.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.