A call to arms! EMT-B's defend yourself!

I wish there were more moderators on the board. The name calling is unacceptable.

We are here. It has not gotten too crazy yet and Dust is a big boy. He can handle it and provide his own defense for now.

Now if it were someone else, I may intervene sooner..... :D:D:D

(in all seriousness, let us keep it professional and debate/discuss intelligently without name calling)

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE COMBINATION OF EDUCATION AND PASSION = THE BEST EMTS

Wrong. I could not care less if my partner is passionate. In fact, I'd rather she not be. Education and intelligence are the most important combination. Passion is nothing but intent. And intent does not translate to action.

And WTF do you know about EMTs anyhow? What qualifies you to talk about the qualities of a good EMT in the U.S.? You're going to sit here and bust on us for not going to SA, which none of us are criticising, yet you think you are of such awesome EMS savvy that you can comment on EMS here without ever experiencing it yourself?

please accept my apologies, dusty

I wish we could have a system like yours in the states, in my country, its unfortunately the way things are here, ems in sa is in turmoil, private and government. just remember we all start some where. if my situation changes, i'll get up to the ALS level, if its not in SA, i'll get it elsewhere in the world, but i will get it, that is guaranteed!

keep safe in the line of fire

maybe we will cross paths some time :wink:

You're missing the point completely. I don't want ANY basic, no matter how "good" (we still haven't even defined what a "good" basic is yet) s/he thinks s/he is, on my ambulance. And the vast majority of the time, that time on the ambulance as a basic does not give you a "good base" to work from. It gives you bad habits and incorrect notions that are hard to break, making the paramedic instructors' jobs harder. A "good base" would be about two years of college education prerequisites. If you're really interested in being the best medic you can be, then you'll be working on those prerequisites to establish a "good base," instead of playing ambulance driver for minimum wage, or worse yet... for free.

Well, there goes that goal... :D

A good EMT has the ability to recognize, and understand what the pts needs are. Knows his limitations and isn't too macho or cocky to admit that a pts complaint is out of his reach.

I am sick of hearing about skills, and interventions. That is maybe 10% of the job, the other 90% is recognition, through thorough assessment. If you use the excuse that you cant assess a pt because you only received a 120 hours of training, then you doing yourself and the community you serve a disservice. assessment is not ALS or BLS, if you cant conduct one properly, you shouldn't be working in a PB or a tiered service.

Our ability to treat a pt is so minute at either the ALS or BLS level. How many conditions can you realistically treat? Not many. I don't consider a monitor, BP, or pulse ox. or BGL a form of treatment, there tools of recognition.

The BLS meds we use, ASA, oral glucose, epi pens, albuterol, glucagon :D, are idiot proof if you can conduct a proper assessment, if you cant distinguish wheezes from rales. A serious allergic reaction needing immediate intervention as opposed to a slight reaction. If you continue to administer oral glucose to unconscious parties, because thats what it states in your protocol, your an idiot. I dont care what your protocols says nothing goes in the mouth of an unconscious pt. unless its an airway. Aspiration of oral glucose is not good take my word for it.

I have numerous repeat diabetics in the area I work, I find them in all different states of hypoglycemia, from unconscious to belligerent. I can treat a belligerent diabetic with a BS of 30 with oral glucose appropratley, (just because their sugar is 30 dosent mean they will be flat on their back, every diabetic is different, their needs will be different.) and I have done it many times. It takes a little longer, however its not impossible. The ALS providers also use this technique frequently. We don't fight with a pt for an hour, to help put an IV in him, if he is taking oral glucose calmly. I can also identify through assessment who will need d50, ones that I have no ability to treat as a BLS provider.

The problem with BLS providers is 80% of all EMS calls are BLS, they just lack the ability to recognize which ones those are.

So as a BLS provider I don't want an expanded scope, or more meds, or fancy toys. I don't need them to conduct the aspects of my job. If I want them I will go to medic school. If their complaint is unreachable for me, then I have the ability and knowledge to understand that. We encounter blown aortas, gunshot wounds to the chest with cardiac inclusion, traumatic amputations, herniated brain injuries. Are those treatable by the ALS provider? I would say no. Do you think

So yes more education is needed at all levels, but if you use that as an excuse not to be able to fulfill you obligations, and on your own, you don't educate yourself to be able to handle those obligations, then your not helping anyone in the long run, and probably hurting some in your travels.

All medics are not created equal, don't assume that all EMTs are. With some education either formal or on your own. You can conduct an assessment, to the level of any pre-hospital provider. This isn't f'n rocket science, don't turn it into it. If you cant recognize it, get someone who can. If you cant treat it, get someone who can. If you cant recognize it, and cant treat it and cant recognize that you cant recognize it or treat it. Then quit now.

I understand all areas have their own needs, and should be staffed to reflect that. If you have transport time of 2 hours, I dont care if god is on that ambulance your pretty much f'd, with any life threatning event if you dont have helicopter.

So it wouldnt make much sense to have a BLS provider on those rural ambulances. Then again it dosent make much sense to live two hours from a hospital. :D

Even if we had 30 moderators, they are not going to read every post. It is up to the users to help.

I read every post. :D

So does Ruffems. :wink:

I am sick of hearing about skills, and interventions. That is maybe 10% of the job, the other 90% is recognition, through thorough assessment. If you use the excuse that you cant assess a pt because you only received a 120 hours of training, then you doing yourself and the community you serve a disservice. assessment is not ALS or BLS, if you cant conduct one properly, you shouldn't be working in a PB or a tiered service.

Who are you? And what have you done with Whit? :shock:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.