Patient Care (or lack there-of) Attn. Va. providers

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"a lot of providers I've met have no interest and show only disdain for medical emergencies. Everyone wants to see an MVC or a stabbing. You can't choose which calls you receive."

This is where the morons in the industry stand out. Only like cookbook trauma calls. I for one love medical calls, you actually have to use your brain to figure it out!!! :roll:

As far as the original post. Next time say something to the crew. I don't like to get involved with another EMS crews business, but I will stand up and point out shady care in a heart beat! I have never had a refusal that I at least couldn't talk in to getting vitals and a monitor on them. You just have to use diplomacy and compassion on them ( Yes, some still do this)! :shock:

"a lot of providers I've met have no interest and show only disdain for medical emergencies. Everyone wants to see an MVC or a stabbing. You can't choose which calls you receive."

This is where the morons in the industry stand out. Only like cookbook trauma calls. I for one love medical calls, you actually have to use your brain to figure it out!!! :roll:

As far as the original post. Next time say something to the crew. I don't like to get involved with another EMS crews business, but I will stand up and point out shady care in a heart beat! I have never had a refusal that I at least couldn't talk in to getting vitals and a monitor on them. You just have to use diplomacy and compassion on them ( Yes, some still do this)! :shock:

What makes EMS great is never knowing what your going to see.

As far as butting in, if done right probably get a positive response. If you point out mistakes in front of everyone you'll get nowhere except maybe removed from the scene for interferring. I agree help them get to the right treatment if patient is allowing exam and treatment by quitely asking questions and offering help as an educated bystander, guide them w/o them even knowing it, but let the lead medic make the call.

I work with a very knowledgable first responder that will at times ask me a question, such as would you like me to get this or that for you. When he does usually it is to remind me of something that maybe in a sleep deprived state I missed. Myself I'll make a statement like I have to be careful with that med because of my allergies and amazingly I've seen many then remember to ask the patient about allergies then. Theres a right way and a wrong way, but by no means allow someone to make amistake that harms the patient.

FIREmedics know so much more about life. I am just a Fire/EMT. But, I can cut up a car. I can put out the fire, if my pt is on fire. I have lots of tools at my disposal. If you ever need 1000 gallons of water to flush with I have it.

And I have lots of insulation and gear.

[spoil:5728081c97]*remove tongue from cheek*[/spoil:5728081c97]

a firefighter/paramedic has the same cert as a EMS only paramedic.

Exactly.

Don't get all hung up on education, guys. It's all about the patch.

[spoil:10bd292634]/sarcasm[/spoil:10bd292634]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.