Patient Care (or lack there-of) Attn. Va. providers

its all good, but there IS a constant degrading of the fire service here. and it is indeed an EMS forum, not a fire one. i'm perfectly fine with it, i just don't understand why. my former paramedic instructor used to work for a large municipal fire department, then he switched to a city that is seperate fire/ems and works as an EMS only paramedic. i'm certain his credibility/quality of care have improved now that he doesn't have the title of firefighter, right?

my previous statement could very well be changed to a firefighter/paramedic has the same education as an "EMS only" medic. they just also attended a fire academy and work for a fire department rather than an ambulance service. im betting the majority of you know this and the whole "firemonkey" stemmed from one or a few individuals who thought it would be clever to consider the fire service "simple". and now six thousand of the forums EMT-Bs have hopped on the bandwagon and use the term whenever even remotely applicable.

Eric

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric, calling a firefighter a firemonkey is no different than calling a paramedic an ambulance driver. Both are derogatory terms to the person being called firemonkey or ambulance driver.

eric , was that the best you can do? I'm sure that being called a firemonkey doesn't upset your delicate sensibilities.

Or did I misread that you were upset about being labelled a firemonkey?

Here is what you say

its all good, but there IS a constant degrading of the fire service here. and it is indeed an EMS forum, not a fire one. i'm perfectly fine with it, i just don't understand why.

you say you are perfectly fine with it but you don't understand why.

I don't know how long you've been in EMS but paramedics have been called ambulance drivers long before the term firemonkey has been around. It's in the lexicon of EMS speak now and it's here to stay.

The degrading of fire departments have been postulated by a few on this forum and those few know who they are. It's here to stay and just as medics have gotten used to the term Ambulance driver, you fire guys Or Firemonkeys as some put it, need to get used to that term.

And by the way any reason why you chose to insult me rather than those who seriously laughed at you in this thread?

Eric, people don't have a problem for medics who work for the FD per se. The problem is with the people who become medics just to become a FF. These people don't really care about the pt or the job and are only doing it as a stepping stone to ride the big red trucks. Unfortunetly in some areas EMS is controlled by the FD. I say unfortunetly because in many cases EMS is treated as a second rate part of the FD and doesn't get the funding/equipment/staff that it truly needs. The FD should stick with the fire fighting and EMS should be it's own seperate department.

Doc, what you just posted was well known in the fire circles and ems circles. as a matter of fact, it was pretty obvious.

be careful what you post, you might get labelled as captain obvious too.

We've discussed this in pms but you didn't address anyone else, especially the open ridicule of your earlier posts.

Ok, rant off.

I accept your apology.

have been postulated by a few on this forum and those few know who they are. It's here to stay and just as medics have gotten used to the term Ambulance driver, you fire guys Or Firemonkeys as some put it, need to get used to that term.

I thought we changed to "bucket fairies" a few months back? :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.