Response Bag

So, if you don't want to be a professional EMT and you have plans of becoming a federal angent anyway, why are you wasting a slot on the class roster? Do you not understand these classes have a limited load capacity and you are taking someone's slot who actually wants this as a career? I am pretty sure that federal agents make a hell of a lot more money than even professional EMS. And by the time you acheive the federal agent gig, why are you going to want to run volunteer EMS out in BFE? I think not.

You need to seriously look at reality and if you want to jump puddles of gasoline, be a gas station attendant, not an EMT.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because a whacker bag in the trunk prepares you for 9/11?

I thought it but I didn't go there, figured someone else would pick it up.

Basing your EMS career on childhood ambitions: +5 points

Basing your EMS career on movies that sensationalize an American tragedy: -100 points

First off nothing that you had in your car would've done any good on 9/11. Unless you have some SAMs hidden in your trunk. So you don't even want to be a career EMT, so why are you going to go around stopping at car accidents with your personal ambulance, i mean car. Do you just want people to see you out there working, you want to be a hero huh ? Well this is the wrong line of work to be a hero, go to school and become a federal agent then you can go around being a hero. Just make sure you have plenty of ammo in your trunk, you never know what you might come across.

first off i got it all for free from from my uncle.

second i get all my training for free becaue im a volunteer

But you're asking us info on what equipment to get...so that equipment that you're talking about, you still haven't gotten...and your uncle doesn't have it...so it won't be free. They're saying get college education from that (past your EMT class).

Right now, 22 years old, with a ruined credit report (thanks mom!) and a college drop out, going back isn't in the picture right now.
Why not? Fill out your FAFSA form and see how cheap you can get your community college at, then transfer to a 4-year (still getting federal help), then work for a little bit to save up money for medic school, then go work as a paramedic and build up that credit again.

So, if you don't want to be a professional EMT and you have plans of becoming a federal angent anyway, why are you wasting a slot on the class roster?
I don't see much wrong with that? We've already discussed how EMTs are basically first responders for paramedics. It's a great course for simple life skills and understanding processes of medical emergencies, which as a federal agent in the field, he might come across...but maybe just emergencies with his own family one day.

If the course is easy enough that anyone can get in and take it as a sideclass while pursuing another career, it's not the course-taker's fault...

No. 1: Im a volunteer, maybe for a few years, hopefully for life, I'd like to keep doing it. If I take the place of someone in a class who wants to be a pro then I guess they are SOL, they should have been a little faster in applying. They are doing it to make money, Im doing it out of kindness.

No. 2: Okay maybe 9-11 wasnt a really good example, but you get my point, when the shit hits the fan its better to be prepared than not. And if you didnt get that then maybe you should get an education.

No. 3: One of the reasons I did join a volunteer squad is because it has so much relevance to Fed. Agent. Most Fed. Agents have to get EMT certified anyway. They are both high stress jobs, and maybe one day if my partner gets shot I will have the experience and training to keep him alive.

No. 4: Its not about being a hero. Its about helping people. I dont care if no body knows who I am, as long as I help someone I am satisfied. Isnt that what it is all about? Isnt that why people become EMTs?

No. 5: I dont plan on spending hundreds of $ on equipment. Hence the reason I dont have and dont plan to get an O2 bottle.

No. 6: And yes, I would still love to be involved after I am an Agent. Who knows I might not even be able to become an agent. I hope to get more certifications over the next couple years as well. For example Im looking into taking the Dive course.

No. 1: Im a volunteer, maybe for a few years, hopefully for life, I'd like to keep doing it. If I take the place of someone in a class who wants to be a pro then I guess they are SOL, they should have been a little faster in applying. They are doing it to make money, Im doing it out of kindness.

I can't wait to see if Dust reads this one....

No. 2: Okay maybe 9-11 wasnt a really good example, but you get my point, when the shit hits the fan its better to be prepared than not. And if you didnt get that then maybe you should get an education.

Refer to my earlier post about hemmorage control. If you are resourceful you are prepared.

No. 3: One of the reasons I did join a volunteer squad is because it has so much relevance to Fed. Agent. Most Fed. Agents have to get EMT certified anyway. They are both high stress jobs, and maybe one day if my partner gets shot I will have the experience and training to keep him alive.

Define "Federal Agent" CIA? FBI? US Marshal? DEA? DHS? Secret Service? US Park Police? The list goes on. Hate to tell you buddy. Working for the fed's isn't all guts and glory. If you want to shoot and be shot at join the Army.

No. 4: Its not about being a hero. Its about helping people. I dont care if no body knows who I am, as long as I help someone I am satisfied. Isnt that what it is all about? Isnt that why people become EMTs?

That isn't how you make it sound. OH MY GOD FEDERAL AGENT OH MY GOD CAR WRECK OH MY GOD O2 BAG OH MY GOD 9/11...........

No. 5: I dont plan on spending hundreds of $ on equipment. Hence the reason I dont have and dont plan to get an O2 bottle.

Any stocked jump kit is $75 plus from a reputable retail outlet. If you are so concered about having all of the equipment you need why won't you spend money on it? If you are rolling up on car wrecks won't you want a C-Collar? What if they aren't breathing? Won't you want high flow O2 and a BVM?

No. 6: And yes, I would still love to be involved after I am an Agent. Who knows I might not even be able to become an agent. I hope to get more certifications over the next couple years as well. For example Im looking into taking the Dive course.

Certifications are not what make you better.

I am all for having what you need to get the job done. But, don't think you will be a better what ever just because your cert folder is 2 inches thick.

Sigh

This convo's going to hell. Now i t's just picking on PAV.

-Let's not rip him apart for not knowing what equipment you really, since he's said he hasn't taken the EMT course, yet. He was just asking. It's one thing to explain to him what's needed and not, but another to make fun of him for wanting to be prepared. You tell him to go buy a stocked kit as to make fun of him for being over-prepared, when he came here to ask specifically what he'd need not a bunch of useless stuff in a stock kit.

It's like people want him to fulfill their idea of him as a whacker, so they can than make fun of him.

PAV:

-I disagree with your statement that most federal agents need to be EMT certified. What will make you a good candidate is a strong academic record and a BA and good recommendations from previous employers at jobs with important responsibility. Clean record, good psych profile, well rounded with different interests (EMS would be a good interest, out of many others though), physically fit, and good interview (know how to interact).

BTW, PAV, I am getting paid for being an EMT...does that mean I'm doing it for the money?

Or does it mean getting paid was the only way my county allows me to work 911 EMS? I know you're defending your actions, but don't slam others in the process or more people will jump on you.

Define "Federal Agent" CIA? FBI? US Marshal? DEA? DHS? Secret Service? US Park Police? The list goes on. Hate to tell you buddy. Working for the fed's isn't all guts and glory. If you want to shoot and be shot at join the Army.

Dont worry, I know that. I want to go into ballistics or explosives something along that route. If I could go tactical for a few years that would be great. And I know that you dont become a "hero" in that line of work, and if you disagree; how many SWAT members are praised on TV and glorified? None that I know. Its what I've wanted to be since I was a kid. Its not about the money (although it is nice), its not about the "glory", it just "me" its who I am. I'd join the military, except our officers arent doing that good of a job, and Im not talking about Bush and Generals, I support them utmost. Its the guys on the ground that make mistakes. I'm thinking about the CoastGuard, Border Patrol, or AirMarshalls for a few years. They are easier to get into and will give me experience needed for the Fed Agencies.

This convo's going to hell. Now i t's just picking on PAV.

Agreed, but Im not sure why I keep coming back.

-I disagree with your statement that most federal agents need to be EMT certified. What will make you a good candidate is a strong academic record and a BA and good recommendations from previous employers at jobs with important responsibility. Clean record, good psych profile, well rounded with different interests (EMS would be a good interest, out of many others though), physically fit, and good interview (know how to interact).

I have had a mentor for my senior project ( its a high school thing) who is in the Secret Service and he said it is a huge factor. They all get certified. Plus the exceptance rate is under 3%. Im looking into various Agencies because of the odds of getting selected. Including ATF, FBI, DSS, and SS. Experience like this will definatly help my chances. The number one thing he told me is to get certified in as many things as you can, get as much experience as you can, and dont lie.

BTW, PAV, I am getting paid for being an EMT...does that mean I'm doing it for the money?

Or does it mean getting paid was the only way my county allows me to work 911 EMS? I know you're defending your actions, but don't slam others in the process or more people will jump on you.

sorry about that, I didnt say "some" even though I was thinking it. Im sure some people do it because they want to help. But others, who knows? I must thank you for understanding me and "having my back" on this one. thank you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.