Response Bag

Im new to the EMT thing, Ill be getting certified during the summer. Everyone talks about all the gear there squads give them. But Im on a volunteer squad so we dont get anyhting other than training and clothes. Im luck enough to have an uncle who is a professional firefighter/emt, and he loaned me a green O2 bag to use, and some stuff that he had laying around. My question is:

What are the essential parts for an emt response bag?

I really just want to have enough to do something if i drive upon an accident or something. i realize im not really allowed to use any of it yet, but i am CPR certified and if i can help someone i will.

I currently have:

a shit load of gloves

2 lrg truama dressings

1 BVM adult

1 BVM Ped

2 5x9 abd pads? (not really sure what that is)

18 4x4 gauve pads

16 3x3 gauve pads

1 emt sheers

2 med gauve rolls

1 lrg gauve roll

2 cold packs

3 small triangular bandages

2 med triangular bandages

1 space blanket

some alchol prep pads

and a bunch of these plastic hook looking things that im not really sure what they are.

i think i need to get a small pen light to stick in it.i have looked at complete bags for sale and they have a lot more stuff in them, but what exactly is necesarry. thank you.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im new to the EMT thing, Ill be getting certified during the summer. Everyone talks about all the gear there squads give them. But Im on a volunteer squad so we dont get anyhting other than training and clothes. Im luck enough to have an uncle who is a professional firefighter/emt, and he loaned me a green O2 bag to use, and some stuff that he had laying around. My question is:

What are the essential parts for an emt response bag?

I really just want to have enough to do something if i drive upon an accident or something. i realize im not really allowed to use any of it yet, but i am CPR certified and if i can help someone i will.

I currently have:

a shit load of gloves

2 lrg truama dressings

1 BVM adult

1 BVM Ped

2 5x9 abd pads? (not really sure what that is)

18 4x4 gauve pads

16 3x3 gauve pads

1 emt sheers

2 med gauve rolls

1 lrg gauve roll

2 cold packs

3 small triangular bandages

2 med triangular bandages

1 space blanket

some alchol prep pads

and a bunch of these plastic hook looking things that im not really sure what they are.

i think i need to get a small pen light to stick in it.i have looked at complete bags for sale and they have a lot more stuff in them, but what exactly is necesarry. thank you.

o2 bag? and no o2? nrb? nc? steth? bp cuff? with the equipment mentioned you cant perform a full set of vitals. And if you drive up to an accident 3 things you should be really thinking(in my opinion) is the scene safe? activate 9-1-1. and C-spine stabalization. Of course there are many other aspects to consider and alot of details change everything. but hey I said what I said.

o2 bag? and no o2? nrb? nc? steth? bp cuff? with the equipment mentioned you cant perform a full set of vitals. And if you drive up to an accident 3 things you should be really thinking(in my opinion) is the scene safe? activate 9-1-1. and C-spine stabalization. Of course there are many other aspects to consider and alot of details change everything. but hey I said what I said.

yeah im new to it all, im not even an emt yet, so i cant really take vitals or any of that, but in time i will, and then i will probobly get that stuff, ill just have to add it to the list. if you read it all you would lnow that my uncle gave it to me, and he didnt have the O2 bottle for it. thats why i dont have, and at the age of 18 i dont have the money to buy a O2 tank.

yeah im new to it all, im not even an emt yet, so i cant really take vitals or any of that, but in time i will, and then i will probobly get that stuff, ill just have to add it to the list. if you read it all you would lnow that my uncle gave it to me, and he didnt have the O2 bottle for it. thats why i dont have, and at the age of 18 i dont have the money to buy a O2 tank.

an emergency o2 tank is like 40$'s .. not all that expensive, its less expensive then most steth's, if you cant afford proper equipment to help, and arent knowledgeable in skills such as vital signs, c-spine stabalization etc.. you shouldnt really be jumping out of your car to help just yet, just activate 9-1-1. again just an opinion, you and everyone are free to do as they wish.

no we are supposed to go to the station and hopp in a rig, but moost people have bags so they dont have to if they see something happen or if they are close. legally i cant go directly to a scene for a year after I have EMT cert. I just want something so that if i need it i have it.

im going to emfacise this again:

Im not yet an EMT, I will be before the end of the summer, i want to get a head start in getting a bag together, just want to know what are some essntial equipment. assume i dont know much, because right now i dont im learning a little bit now but once i start the course i will be certified in 5 weeks.

$40 for O2 bottles? i thought they were atleast $100, guess i was wrong, but anyway I'd rather have the other supplies in the bag then have just an O2 bottle, its not that big of a bag.

What will you be doing that one year before you're allowed to go directly to a scene? Go to station first and respond with other responders? How does that whole thing work?

The basics for me would be Steth, BP Cuff, O2, O2 Masks, Gloves, Light, Gauze, and BVMs/OPAs...as far as things you'd need right away on-scene, but best way to decide what you need is to get experience answering calls in YOUR area and then keeping track of the things you use most.

You get no equipment?

So, if you can't afford any, you're expected to show up to scenes with nothing at all?

he's not an emt, hes not a cfr, hes going to be going to school to be an EMT soon, and apparently is on a volunteer squad.

anyone else read something wrong in what i said ?

where are you located where you cant legally go to an emergency scene for 1 year after your certification ?

When you are trained, knowledgeable, and comfortable with your training and knowledge, then and only then should you get equipment to help if you see something happen, otherwise call 9-1-1 and let a 'proffessional' deal with it.

and a 5 week course? I know in NYC we only have a 120 hour course, but it is broken down over a few classes a week for handful of months so you can absorb the knowledge.

If you dont like what I or other EMT's have to say about this subject perhaps you should re-evaluate your anxcious attitude.

To be completely honest, if you show up to a scene, you should remember your ABC's. I realise your not an EMT yet so don't take this wrong. Airway, Breathing and Circulation are your main concern. If the patient isn't breathing, there is no pt. Control those 3 things and wait for the ambulance to show up. Everything else you'll require should be on the ambulance.

You sure have alot of hemmorage control in your bag. That's a good thing. Take half of it out though and replace it with some oral ( can I say that here Dust?) and nasal airway devices. They work well with your BVM.

BTW, 5 x 9 abd. pads are abdominal dressings.

Like others have said, do not respond to calls POV untill you are comfortable. You should, once certified, respond with the ambulance. Responding POV is dangerous and to many cooks can spoil the broth if you know what I mean. If you had a crew respond with the ambulance, that should be adequate personnel. If they require more help, they'll request it.

and just some information, ive been flagged down, on my way to and from work and nothing is worse then not having your ambulance with full equipment when someone is in distress and even with all our equipment, we cannot fully help a patient, as we dont cure problems in the field we stabalize till we can get to a hospital where a dr. can cure the pt. (general statement, not specific to any one call)

food for thought, take it for what its worth.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.