Response Bag

Seriously, you are not going to need all that stuff. I lived out in BFE for 10 years (and I was usually first on scene if anything happened) and never needed anything more than a steth, BP cuff and gloves and a cell phone to call 911. If nothing else, make sure you have gloves to protect yourself.

Honestly, there is really nothing much you can do until the ambulance shows up. Put your money towards good quality education and at gas prices the way they are, spend the money on gas to get extra ride time and clinicals done. That, in itself is how you are going to effectively help your patient, not by carrying a fancy bagload of gauze and bandaids.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, you are not going to need all that stuff. I lived out in BFE for 10 years (and I was usually first on scene if anything happened) and never needed anything more than a steth, BP cuff and gloves and a cell phone to call 911. If nothing else, make sure you have gloves to protect yourself.

Honestly, there is really nothing much you can do until the ambulance shows up. Put your money towards good quality education and at gas prices the way they are, spend the money on gas to get extra ride time and clinicals done. That, in itself is how you are going to effectively help your patient, not by carrying a fancy bagload of gauze and bandaids.

first off i got it all for free from from my uncle.

second i get all my training for free becaue im a volunteer

Education and training are two seperate things. You can train a monkey to intubate, but you can't educate him to know when not to intubate. Now if you get free education, sign me up. I'd gladly give up student loans for a few nights a week.

Training: Noun: The act, process, or art of imparting knowledge and skill: education, instruction. Repetition of an action so as to develop or maintain one's skill.

Education: Noun: The act or process of educating or being educated. The knowledge or skill obtained or developed by a learning process. A program of instruction of a specified kind or level.

He is educated for specific skill or knowledge, by training.

And as far as education and training. No matter how much you spend on it, the skills gained are only as useful as the individual mind allows them to be.

understood, but if you are educated in training is that not education. if you can get college credits for an EMT class how can you not consider it education. i now realize you are refering to formal college education, which in that case i will be getting a few scholarships, and there is a program that covers $600 of a volunteers education per year in New Jersey.

now if anyone would like to answer the question i asked i am all ears.

Training: Noun: The act, process, or art of imparting knowledge and skill: education, instruction. Repetition of an action so as to develop or maintain one's skill.

Education: Noun: The act or process of educating or being educated. The knowledge or skill obtained or developed by a learning process. A program of instruction of a specified kind or level.

He is educated for specific skill or knowledge, by training.

And as far as education and training. No matter how much you spend on it, the skills gained are only as useful as the individual mind allows them to be.

To add to that last line, the mind can be expanded by not only understanding the "when" to do something (i.e. if the patient meets A and B, but doesn't meet C, then do X) but the how (drug X causes the body to do Y which results in Z) and why (G causes H which is bad because H results in I that can be counteracted by Y). If the only thing that was important was the "skill" involved then why not have 1 level that can do everything. As I've said in another thread, I have opposable thumbs, therefore I can push [as in the physical action of pushing the plunger, not scope of practice] medications, hence shouldn't I be considered ALS?

understood, but if you are educated in training is that not education. if you can get college credits for an EMT class how can you not consider it education. i now realize you are refering to formal college education, which in that case i will be getting a few scholarships, and there is a program that covers $600 of a volunteers education per year in New Jersey.

You can get college credit for just about anything, including volunteering. Heck, I've taken a class entitled "Why People Believe Weird Things" [1 unit seminar class, but I got an A in it]. My school has a program where students submit ideas for a class and then the student government in conjunction with academic senate tries to find people to teach the more realistic course ideas. My school has just started a program where students [again, with oversight] will be allowed to teach a 1 unit pass/no pass class. It might be 1 unit, but it's still college credit/

Futhermore, education and training leads to different types of jobs. For example, what is the difference between a med tech and a RN? Both hand out medications, don't they? How about the difference between an x-ray tech and a radiologist? Why else is there such a large wage gap in other fields between someone with a formal education vs someone with training?

Futhermore, education and training leads to different types of jobs. For example, what is the difference between a med tech and a RN? Both hand out medications, don't they?

Actually, no. A Med Tech runs medical laboratory tests on human tissue and fluid samples, and interpret and report the results. Although they usually have a much deeper education than nurses, they do not hand out medications.

i now realize you are refering to formal college education, which in that case i will be getting a few scholarships, and there is a program that covers $600 of a volunteers education per year in New Jersey.

That ought to almost cover your books each semester. The cost of the actual hours, lab fees, lab supplies, transportation, etc... is up to you. Formal college education is paramount in medicine, and the sooner you get into it, the better. EMT school is just a first aid course, nothing more. It is not medical education. Don't leave there thinking you have achieved anything of significance, much less education.

It's been answered multiple times. You already have more than you'll ever need. There is nothing else you need. Did you miss those answers, or are you just waiting to hear the answer you want to hear?

Actually, no. A Med Tech runs medical laboratory tests on human tissue and fluid samples, and interpret and report the results. Although they usually have a much deeper education than nurses, they do not hand out medications.

Err, I've always called the people (they're not RNs or LVNs for the best that I could tell) at assisted living facilities that hand out the medication "med techs." As an example: http://www.occupationalinfo.org/35/355374014.html

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.