Response Bag

If you stick around here long enough, and I sincerely hope you do, you will learn this site promotes the fundamentals of EMS as a profession. The "elders" here have copius amounts of knowledge and they are eager to share it with anyone who asks. EMS is more than stocked jump bags, POV lights and EMT stickers and patches. It's medicine and the art of practicing medicine. It's trading ideas, sharing knowledge and helping each other grow. We are about promoting EMS as a profession. Until we have mastered the core of EMS, all the best stocked jump kits in the world aren't going to make us professionals.

Most of us were where you are now. Wanting to be prepared, being excited about EMS and wanting to help others. We have learned, though, that carrying 50lbs of equipment around in your POV doesn't make you any more prepared until you know when, where and why you are using the equipment in the first place. I am willing to bet that after you finish class and get some time in, you will see that traveling lightly is the way to go.

Good luck to you in your studies and training. Even if you have so many hours to do ride time and clinicals, it isn't a crime to get more time in. Practice makes perfect! If you have any questions about class or need help with anything, there are people here who will be able to help you better understand what you are learning.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you stick around here long enough, and I sincerely hope you do, you will learn this site promotes the fundamentals of EMS as a profession. The "elders" here have copius amounts of knowledge and they are eager to share it with anyone who asks. EMS is more than stocked jump bags, POV lights and EMT stickers and patches. It's medicine and the art of practicing medicine. It's trading ideas, sharing knowledge and helping each other grow. We are about promoting EMS as a profession. Until we have mastered the core of EMS, all the best stocked jump kits in the world aren't going to make us professionals.

Most of us were where you are now. Wanting to be prepared, being excited about EMS and wanting to help others. We have learned, though, that carrying 50lbs of equipment around in your POV doesn't make you any more prepared until you know when, where and why you are using the equipment in the first place. I am willing to bet that after you finish class and get some time in, you will see that traveling lightly is the way to go.

Good luck to you in your studies and training. Even if you have so many hours to do ride time and clinicals, it isn't a crime to get more time in. Practice makes perfect! If you have any questions about class or need help with anything, there are people here who will be able to help you better understand what you are learning.

Here, here!

Err, I've always called the people (they're not RNs or LVNs for the best that I could tell) at assisted living facilities that hand out the medication "med techs." As an example: http://www.occupationalinfo.org/35/355374014.html

The people who put four to six years into a university education to earn the initials MT behind their name would not appreciate this presumptive generalisation.

I question the accuracy of the information at your link. Although it is possibly accurate somewhere in some state, I have never heard of a CMT, only a CMA, which fits that description.

Of course, all of this is irrelevant to the topic at hand, and certainly does not negate the validity of your original point, which was a good one.

However, the most important thing I carry is a cell phone so that I can activate the 911 system.

Well stated. Isn't part of the EMT course knowing when to request more resources? Last I knew, it was included. So by yourself, with only a little bit of gear (and not one of the most important ones; such as the ambulance itself to transport), you need additional resources to correctly handle the situation. The cell phone is one of the best tools to have for that.

Otherwise, I agree with others about education being more important than supplies. If you really want to help as a first responder, know how to perform an accurate and thorough assessment so you can have a decent report for the crew that does show up to handle the call. If you have all the toys, and no decent assessment skills or report ready then that would make you nothing more than the joke of that call. Take some anatomy and physiology if you want to spend your money well.

Shane

NREMT-P

I don't understand why these topics always raise my blood pressure. Maybe it is the dispatcher ass catching up with me.

I carry a pocket mask, and it only goes in my pocket when I am going into a place where there is a lot of people.

I have a mini first aid kit in my car. But its for me and the people in my car. I promise you if I see a wreck I am not going to be running up through the puddles of gasoline and body parts screaming "I'M AN EMT I'M AN EMT!!!!"

Right now, 22 years old, with a ruined credit report (thanks mom!) and a college drop out, going back isn't in the picture right now. Saving up money for a medic program is starting however. And I read everything I can get my hands on. I ask questions, I study and do what I can to learn my skill. That is obtaining education, not training.

Next whacker EMT I come up on that is obnoxious and annoying, I call dibs on the first punch.

I promise you if I see a wreck I am not going to be running up through the puddles of gasoline and body parts screaming "I'M AN EMT I'M AN EMT!!!!"

why not? isnt there some sort of law that says you are supposed to help out, correct me if im wrong. i know there is a law saying you cant be held accountable for helping.

i understand knowledge is power, and im not worried about that. education will come to me in time, and im not worried about money, i work and have a high paying/low labor job. im actually going to study psychology, it wont help me out with EMT, but i dont want to be a professional EMT, i want to be a federal agent.

last night i watched the 9/11 movie; if you were to find yourself in that type of situation wouldnt you want to be prepared? if you came upon an accident where someone has massive bleeding wouldn't you want to be able to help stop the bleeding before an ambulance arrives. where i live it generally takes us alittle under ten minutes to respond to a call(all volunteer), and we cover 5 towns, it could take over 15 min for an ambulance to get onscene. Now im not an expert but im pretty sure the human body can loose a lot of blood in 15 min.

i personally dont know how a trained EMT could pass a bad accident(with out responders on scene) with out guilt and wondering if someone might not have died if they had taken action.

its obvious that one would immediatly activate the EMS system when encountering an accident. its not like im trying to be a savior or something, im not going to "cure" them by myself. I just want to be able to do what i can while i can.

if you came upon an accident where someone has massive bleeding wouldn't you want to be able to help stop the bleeding before an ambulance arrives. where i live it generally takes us alittle under ten minutes to respond to a call(all volunteer), and we cover 5 towns, it could take over 15 min for an ambulance to get onscene. Now im not an expert but im pretty sure the human body can loose a lot of blood in 15 min.

Got a couple of towels? A Blanket? Extra shirt? Pair of gloves and 2 hands?

There are a lot of ways to stop bleeding. Choose one. I don't need a box of 4x4's and 20 rolls of kerlex to do it.

i personally dont know how a trained EMT could pass a bad accident(with out responders on scene) with out guilt and wondering if someone might not have died if they had taken action.

Easy. I will only stop for two types of calls. If I am flagged down, or if there is OBVIOUS IMMEDIATE action needing to take place. Otherwise, what is Tactical Cavalier One going to do on the scene besides light it up with my one pretty little blue light.

Otherwise, I will pass by, maybe call 911 if there isn't 20 people standing around with cell phones. Knowing that someone with much more, and more appropriate, equipment is on the way.

Woo hoo.. I will place myself in danger on the side of a highway to monitor vital signs and hold C-Spine on someone that will probably not even need it.

Thats why I won't stop. If I am going to die doing this job, I want to die a hero, and not a zero whacker like so many people do.

I know that just pissed off someone.

Its true. I was working dispatch the other day, and sent a dept on a CO check with no symptoms. The CO detector was in the box for 4 months and started going off randomly, and this was related to the department. What do we hear? Screaming sirens as they go enroute. I confirm they know the details, and they answer with sirens still blazing.

Getting off on a tangent here, but can you see where I am coming from at least?

why not? isnt there some sort of law that says you are supposed to help out, correct me if im wrong. i know there is a law saying you cant be held accountable for helping.

There is no law in most states (not all) that says that you are supposed to help out. I believe Vermont is one of the states with a law that says you have to stop, but that's not just limited to trained personnel.

The law about saying you can't be held accountable for helping disappears as soon as you identify yourself as a trained rescuer. That means you received formal training in emergency response and will be held to that standard. The good samartian law covers civilians.

Shane

NREMT-P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.