Homosexuality - Why do people still care?

vs-eh?

Do you have a problem with homosexuals?  

85 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes (explain yourself)
    • No (explain yourself)

Just for the record, in my original post did I ever once bring religion into the subject? Not all people of faith shove it down others throats, I only defended religion when it was brought up and denigrated by others.

Peace,

Marty

P.S. Not everyone on this board who defends religion is Christian. :wink:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'd really like to know is what in the name of (insert name of whatever god, tree or other object you pray to) any of this has to do with EMS. It has nothing to do with it. The only reason that there are so many posts is that someone cooked up a topic, putting religion and sexuality into the mix and found a recipe that is bound to boil over every time. If we spent as much time talking about why the Medtronics company has been closed down by the US government for the second time in three years and why their products are under involuntary recall and what you are supposed to do if your agency uses Lifepaks and one breaks down, we might have something worth talking about. Its amazing that a non-issue can take up 7 pages on a forum and how it almost instantly degenerated into personal attacks.

Hey, NREMT-Basic... I completely agree that we often overlook those issues most important to us as medics (I use the term as referring to medical professionals, not just paramedics...) I wasn't even aware of the Medtronic Lifepak deal. But, if you would be so kind to look at the header on this thread and where it is situated.... "NON EMS DISCUSSION". Therefore, anything, including but not limited to the weather, politics, Chinese food, salamander procreation, the Dewey decimal system, how to effectively make spit wads and voluntary castration as a lifestyle may be discussed in this area.

We're medical professionals, yes, and this site was created specifically to cater to that need. But we are also humans with varied interests and perspectives. That's what makes this forum so great. You can post EKG strips and archaic terminology and have pertinent, wonderful, educational discussion on them. You can ask a dumb question and get a good answer, usually involving "use the search function, stoopid". But you can also discuss other things that are important to you. That is why this forum area exists.

I return to what I said earlier today... no likee? No clickee! NO READEE!

PRPG, I see where you are coming from and Dwayne, I don't think he was going where you thought he was going. I didn't read it that way, to be sure. He wasn't defending the content of vs-eh?'s latest productions... just his sovereign right to create them and the fact that creating them is to be allowed or even encouraged.

vs-eh?, we are still waiting to see what makes the typing flow... in the words of any 3 year old... "But WHY does it do that?"

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

I don't understand why everyone always gets so heated in conversations like these that concern gays, religion, politics, and what ever else you want it to be. I see it as I have my opinion and you have yours. Just because I might believe in God and someone else might not, or I am not gay does not mean I am any better then the next person. I belive it is that persons right to do as they please as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. Just think about it. :lol:

Actually, the Medtronic and Physio Control actions occurred several months ago. No big deal, it was a corporate position. They (Medtronic) released Physio Control as it was in the beginning as a separate company. The recalls are limited and isolated like any other medical equipment.

If you have a problem contact your representative (which might have changed, with the corporate shake up).

One can read about in JEMS, as well as EMS Insider.

Now, back to your local social and philosophical debate, in progress.

R/r 911

Actually, Marty, salamander genetics and procreation are a very viable biological study, haha! You don't want to know what they're teaching us here...

The voluntary castration is a lifestyle that some endorse. I just threw it in here to see how folks would react to it!

I swear, I haven't been totally corrupted, lol!

Wendy

I have no problems with gays for being gays. I have problems with gays that have naked parades, beat kids or litter just in the same way I have problems with heteros for having naked parades, littering or beating kids.

Yes, I know from my gay friends that coming out of the closet is hard because our society makes it that way. On one hand, I am against inverse/affirmative/positive discrimination. I don't believe in quotas -and take that from a woman from a really, really "machista"-roman-catholic-developing country. I will simply treat everybody (whether gay, old, Russian, or blind) the way I wish I was treated (kinda kantian, isn't it?). I wish I was treated with respect, without people feeling pity for my being a woman from a machista-roman-etc-etc.

On the other, I personally think that homosexuality is abnormal. But I also believe that smoking when you know it's bad for your health or working 10 hours a day at something you hate just for a paycheck are both abnormal behaviors. I occassionally smoke and do other things that are (or may, according to you) abnormal but that only makes me as different as each human being is. It's all about accepting and, overall, respecting those differences.

I, opposed to what my acquaintances may think, have morals. Moral judgments are inherent to any culture, I may believe that something is wrong, but, since I am not Dr Greg House, Jesus Christ, Vishnu or any of his avatars, it's hard to try to convince somebody that they're wrong and I am right. I don't want to be a religious zealot, but I'd also hate to be a moral relativist.

Just remember that there were times when if someone thought a woman was a witch, she was thrown to the ocean just because of the suspicion, if she survived that proved that she was indeed a witch, if she didn't, she was not, and she would go to heaven. Nowdays, I consider, that tolerance is not enough (and not only in reference to sexual preferences). We must find the way to stop looking for witches and begin to learn how to live with them.

Just remember that there were times when if someone thought a woman was a witch, she was thrown to the ocean just because of the suspicion, if she survived that proved that she was indeed a witch, if she didn't, she was not, and she would go to heaven.

Ahh the good ole days! Now you have to buy them Dinner to find out! :lol:

Peace,

Marty

P.S. I am only kidding Ladies. Don't kill me!!!