EMT/MEDIC/ EMS Badges

What do you think?  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• Get the badge
    • Forget the badge talk to someone's boss and find out how to get the pt released without it

and thx for your opinions, and on a side note, i can't stand Raman noodles!

Then good luck in college, lol!

I don't like them either, and it took me 6 years to get a 4 year degree.

Coincidence? I think not. :wink:

Anyhow, think about it. Have you been fired yet for not getting a signature from people who refuse to sign? No. So why do you care? Why the heck would you spend a dime for their signatures? You shouldn't. If you buy a badge for no more justification than that, then you're just doing it because you want it and are trying to rationalise it to yourself.

Nobody who is not issued a badge has any business with one. And a good percentage of those who are issued them have no business with them either.

Then good luck in college, lol!

I don't like them either, and it took me 6 years to get a 4 year degree.

Coincidence? I think not. :wink:

Anyhow, think about it. Have you been fired yet for not getting a signature from people who refuse to sign? No. So why do you care? Why the heck would you spend a dime for their signatures? You shouldn't. If you buy a badge for no more justification than that, then you're just doing it because you want it and are trying to rationalise it to yourself.

Nobody who is not issued a badge has any business with one. And a good percentage of those who are issued them have no business with them either.

well, my partner always had a badge, so they would take his info and then sign, i have yet to hand in an ACR without a signature.

money eh ... i make more then enough, i work more then 1 job! ems dont pay the bills.

thanks for the entire opinion though thanks :)

....The answer, as already unanimously replied, is no. None of the occupations you have listed are anything that has any business with a badge.

Note on your PCR that the facility personnel refused to sign, and leave. No big deal. This is a situation that should be taken care of by your agency management, not by you. .....

:wink:

(edited for content)

As I began reading this post, I though the exact same thing..... The minute a Psych. facility REFUSES to accept, or release a patient to you,, heads will roll, and management will be involved. Why spend money on BADGES when you can spend the money on BEER, and or wild women,,,, (LOL)

The point is you don't need it, and it could get you killed. Ex. you are in a bank that gets robbed, they begin looking thru your wallets, they see your badge, (don't or can't read) and think you're a COP. Bang you're DEAD. Or even worse, you are working and in uniform, you stop at a local 7-11 (a.k.a. STOP and ROB) you walk in with your shiny badge on. Robber turns, sees badge out of the corner of his eye, and BANG you're DEAD.

Look what happened to those 2 brave well meaning Auxiliary cops, looks like cops, has badge,, but NO GUN, DEAD.

I never bought a badge on my own, and the minute the agency I was working for said it was optional to wear, as a MEDIC, I stopped wearing it. Now only wear it when I', on duty in police uniform, wearing a vest, and ARMED.

To do anything more than that is inviting disaster.

My thouhgts are my own and do not represent my agency or dept.

Former NYC-EMS (FDNY) Lieutenant,, now Police officer, flight medic, VFF

I have a department issued badge, it's gold and shiny and pretty and I wear it for parades and funerals, banquets and ceremonies, open houses...............etc.

It says something like life member, I think.

Why I want to subject it to being puked on is beyond me.

I have nothing shiny on my duty clothes, I leave all that stuff for the dress clothes.

tskstorm, the reason you're being taken to task for not searching is that, though you claim to have read them, you're regurgitating all the same old arguments...

When you use an old argument (many of them), call them new, and then present them with little punctuation, no capitalization, and poor spelling, you shouldn't be surprised when the wanker patrol comes screaming up to your (virtual) house...

Come on man...you want a badge for the same reason you want lights on your POV...It's understandable...but it's dorky...let it go...

Just a few words meant a constructive criticism...

Have a good day!

Dwayne

the way i look at this is if you are wearing a nice and shiny gold badge or whatever finish it is, just wait till you have that one person that isn't right in the head and rips it off your duty shirt and stabs you with it.

1. need a new shirt now.

2. the now dangerous pt. you have has a weapon.

3. you have no sort of weapon to defend yourself against an attack in the back of the truck (unless you hit them with the O2 tank)

I mean how many more reasons do you need? I know where I live we have a Super-max prison and a large sized jail here and we run many calls out of each. as being a ex-correctional officer i know what inmates can use as weapons so why give the more of a chance. just think safety. but for person preference i don't want a 3" long pin on me but do what you want.

as for the receiving facility not wanting to sign for transferring care of a pt. note all information and contact your supervisor immediately.

The origin of this thread is almost understandable...but like everyone else said, it's not really necessary. State or Agency ID# will always do in a pinch.

Usually.

For EMS ...if you're in the field or station during your tour, you don't need a badge on your duty uniform. Keep it in your sock drawer, in it's little velvet case, until you need it for a funeral, wedding, awards ceremony, or the like. As far as "official" identification, am ID card with your picture on it should suffice in any instance.

These days, even Law Enforcement can get by with a cloth patch emblazoned to look like their departments shield or star. Why alot of them choose not to, is way beyond me. Corrections do it, and for good reason, explained previously in this thread.

Be safe, leave the shiny trinkets at home.

I never understood the concept of a badge I mean how do you link the badge to the person showing it to you? There is nothing to prove that the badge is theirs and that they are who they say they are. Police in the UK have warrant cards with a photograph so the constable can be identified.

Anyone can buy an EMT/Paramedic badge online and ebay has hundreds and you can even get them embroidered with your name and number. This alone makes me wonder why any facility would accept a badge as ID when they are so freely available.

Surely your State or Company ID card would be more acceptable as it holds a photograph of you.

I can only echo what other posters have already said.

If a receiving facility refused to sign then I would document this and inform medical control.

Also, you guys look too much like cops anyway with your navy/black uniforms surely a badge would only make you look more cop like? We wear green in the UK and the police wear black but drunk/drugged/angry people still see us as a position of authority and try to cause us harm.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.