EMT/MEDIC/ EMS Badges

What do you think?  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• Get the badge
    • Forget the badge talk to someone's boss and find out how to get the pt released without it

Now I know this was spoken about before, probably numerous times. However I'm curious how many people are still issued badges? and how many EMT's that are not issued badges but get them on there own ? It was suggested to me to get one, the company I work for does not issue them anymore, they did in the past. When I asked them why they stopped, they mentioned something about an EMT being arrested for carrying it. When I did further research I can't really see any legal reason as to why EMT's cannot carry them, but don't see why they should either. ( It was suggested to me because alot of facilities, specifically psychiatric one's ask for a name and badge number before they sign your ACR/PCR, and on occasion they wont let me just give them my DOH number they want to see a badge, my old partner does have one and they usually will take his information, now that I have a new partner she does not have one neither do I. This is where this originates.)

This section of the NY DOH's website

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/policy/03-08.htm

says you can wear a badge, patch, insignia etc... as long as it only indicates the level you are trained at. Meaning you can't claim to be a paramedic if you are a basic and so on. You can read it all on that link.

So I'm curious to hear opinions, debate and over all just about anything on the subject.

If you are going to ask a question like "what the hell psych center wants to see a badge or wont release a pt." Don't waste anyones time. I don't know why they require it but we all know in healthcare we all must cover our own arse's and have our own protocols.

I used to wear a badge until I had a kid that had taken an od and was semi out of it and would not tell me what he had taken because he thought that we were the police because we had those big shiny badges on our chest let the cops wear the little medal targets not me! if you want to wear something wear a stethoscope

I dont agree with wearing a badge. My uniform is navy blue shirt and pants. Its sometimes hard enough to get a patient to talk to you as it is, because alot of our uniforms make us look like law enforcement. To me, its borrowing trouble to put a badge on. Our jobs are dangerous enough without adding a shiny metal target on our chest. I work in NYS as well, I have dealt with countless psych patients and have never had anybody ask for my badge. Although i realize that Im in the wilds of upstate NY and not in the big city, and that protocols and procedures differ from area to area within the state. Im not willing to take the chance of some crazed drunk or meth head taking a potshot at me because I wear a badge, its just a matter of personal safety.

On a dress uniform? now thats a different story.

we never wear badges nor are we even issued them

our fire co only requires an ems shirt with the co logo no real uniform unless it is dress

the pts seem to like the dress down attitude

badges only make things worse and pts more defensive.

maybe its cuz i live in a rural area i dont know but we find the no badge is a good thing

In the county I live in in MI, the county paramedics (with the sheriffs department) wear badges, carry guns, etc) No where in Michigan have I seen an EMT with a badge issued by a company. I have however seen several guys with wallet badges that they bought on their own, but these are the same guys that when authorized by their fire departments, are putting so many lights on their pov, that it looks like Christmas at Times Square!

I never have needed a badge as an EMT, and can understand how that they could cause more trouble than they're worth. First off, its a target for the bad guys who equate badge with gun. Second, the OD pt will not talk to you because they're worried about going to jail for illegal drug use, and its just one more thing on the uniform to have to keep up with.

In Michigan, you have have your State License, your County ID, and your name tag all required by the State. Then if you add anything like the stethescope, collar brass etc, its just more 'sparkle'.

I've only used my badge as a Firefighter for ID purposes at accidents and if in civillian clothes (only where needed) I don't flash my badge to get into strip bars, get out of tickets, freebies at restaurants or anything like that. Thats not what its there for. In fact, very few people have ever seen my badge in my billfold!

just on side note, i wouldnt wear it on my uniform but rather keep it in a wallet or in a closed pouch of a utility belt or something else of the sort.

i have no interest in wearing it on my shirt, i work in the projects too often

Minus five for failing to search this frequently and exhaustively covered topic.

The answer, as already unanimously replied, is no. None of the occupations you have listed are anything that has any business with a badge.

Note on your PCR that the facility personnel refused to sign, and leave. No big deal. This is a situation that should be taken care of by your agency management, not by you. That's why they get the big bucks and you eat Raman noodles.

Save your money and get a Star Of Life tattoo instead. :wink:

Minus five for failing to search this frequently and exhaustively covered topic.

The answer, as already unanimously replied, is no. None of the occupations you have listed are anything that has any business with a badge.

Note on your PCR that the facility personnel refused to sign, and leave. No big deal. This is a situation that should be taken care of by your agency management, not by you. That's why they get the big bucks and you eat Raman noodles.

Save your money and get a Star Of Life tattoo instead. :wink:

first thing i said was "Now I know this was spoken about before, probably numerous times."

but the last topic i saw about it was numerous months ago, and hell things change everyday in this field.

star of life tattoo ? interesting ?

and thx for your opinions, and on a side note, i can't stand Raman noodles!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.