EMT/MEDIC/ EMS Badges

What do you think?  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• Get the badge
    • Forget the badge talk to someone's boss and find out how to get the pt released without it

I have a badge. It was issued with my equipment, and my union gave me a nice leather ID and badge holder. I basically use it to hold all of my credentials (ACLS, CPR, Certs, etc) when I am on duty. Officially, the badge is for "off duty identifcation", but you know what I really use for "off duty identification" if the need arises? My ID card! The one with my picture and the words PARAMEDIC in big letters. This badge they have given me, has never, not once, been of any use. I can't even get free coffee at Dunkin Donuts with it. However, anytime I go through any security screening (airports, secure facilities, etc.) with it, I am usually without fail give a hard time and made to present my ID and stuff. People generally don't respect badges, and if they do, its because they think you have some sort of police powers, and if people are doing something under the belief you have police powers, you are comitting the crime of impersonating a police officer. Also, there are many places in this country where if you are carrying a badge, police powers or no, you had best be carrying a gun to back it up. Just look at the two poor auxillary officers who were in that very situation a couple of weeks ago.

So, in my humble opinion, if you really, really, really want a badge, go ahead, order one and make it all shiny. Its not going to get you anything good and it may get you hassled, arrested or killed. But it is shiny.

It reminds me of those bounty hunter programmes you see on TV with the bounty hunters running around with AGENT plastered all over them and badges hanging form their necks. In fact most states have banned bounty hunters from wearing anything which might make them look like cops. They knock on doors and shout "AGENT!" or "ENFORCEMENT AGENT!" and when the perps are arrested they say things like "God damn cops what did I do?"

Does this ring any bells?

Seriously dude drop the badge idea and stick with your ID card you are asking for trouble and a badge bought from the internet kinda shouts "WANNABE!" I'm not saying you are I'm just saying how it might appear to any professionals in your close proximity at the time. Sure you might impress the waitress in your local coffee house but Mr Smith and Mr Wesson do not make good bed partners.

I have to admit, it did occur to me awhile back that my 11-year-old son might have fun with a badge. He's a huge Star Wars fan. I bet he'd be thrilled if I went to Galls and ordered up a badge engraved with the words "Jedi Master" (or some such verbiage). He'd love that. But I'm unlikely to actually cough up the money. It's a fun idea, but one that's probably not worth the cost.

I would get one of the little "Jr. Firefighter" badges off one of the fire trucks. Thats about how much your "EMT" badge will mean to the general public. About the only thing it is good for is....

*thinks*

Yeah, I can't think of one time its ever been needed.

OK, now that my computer is back up...

In New York City, at 26 Federal Plaza, a member of a volunteer ambulance service attempted to enter the building, which is the Jacob Javits Federal Building, with his VAS IDs and badge wallet in his briefcase. He was not even attempting to use said VAS identification to gain access, and was in civilian clothing, on totally unrelated non EMS type business thereat.

Building security saw the badge on the X-ray of the briefcase, and arrested the individual for possessing the badge, despite the fact that he had the state DoH and agency photo identification cards, and was not even planning on using them. He was either coming from his VAS, or was going there afterwards (my speculation, I don't have the specific details on that issue).

The arresting officers (unknown if private security, NYPD, NY State PD, Federal Protective Service, or what) arrested the individual, as the badge had either a New York City or State emblem on it, and supposedly was criminal impersonation, as it was not issued by either a New York City or State agency.

My VAS badge design is supposed to have been registered with the State DoH, and has the seal of the state of New York prominently displayed on it. If my VAS agency was still active, I would still carry the badge, and would, under similar circumstance, probably be arrested if I had it in possession when attempting entry to the Javits Building, even if I had legitimate business to be there.

There have been, last time I was updated, from both New York and New Jersey, about 80 personnel from both EMS and non-EMS badge carrying agencies arrested, but nobody has been fined, or had jail time. Apparently, each case has been tossed out, as being without merit.

Yes, the NYS DoH rules state that an EMT badge or patch may be used, but the DoH doesn't offer any set design on either (you should see my NYS EMT patch collection, but I am not trading or selling any of them).

By that standard, if I were to do a call in the Javits building, even in the FDNY EMS uniform, by the fact I wear an NYS EMT patch (with FDNY "rocker") on my shoulder, should someone decide that it is not an "approved' patch, I could be arrested. The double-standard of "Damned if you do, and damned if you don't" is in full effect.

This brings up a current debate within my department. Presently or uniform is blue "EMS" pants and a polo shirt the department emblem embroidered on it. Some of the newer members want to change the shirt to a button down complete with collar brass and badge.

I don't believe that any fire/EMS provider should wear a badge. The public see's a badge and automatically assumes you are PD. Not good when you are trying to obtain information on your patient and they or their friends/family think because of the badge you're a cop. Also, as stated before, there is an increased risk of personal injury because you are believed to be a cop. Nothing against cops but I don't get paid as well as they do and don't want to be put in situations that they routinely get involved in. If I did I would have been a cop.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.