EMT/MEDIC/ EMS Badges

What do you think?  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• Get the badge
    • Forget the badge talk to someone's boss and find out how to get the pt released without it

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges....

Oops, that was the "Favorite movie line" thread, wasn't it??

My bad.... PC

Help me PCB... My partner & I were arguing about that line just a few weeks ago! I said it was from a movie, he said not. What movie is it from?!?

D.

As you can see, this is a favorite quote of many.

From Wikipedia:

The original quotation comes from the 1948 film The Treasure of the Sierra Madre with Humphrey Bogart. In one of the scenes in the movie, a Mexican bandit leader (Gold Hat, played by Alfonso Bedoya) is trying to convince Fred C. Dobbs (played by Bogart) and company that they are the Federales.

Dobbs: "If you're the police, where are your badges?"

Gold Hat: "Badges!? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!!"

This in turn was adapted from B. Traven's 1927 novel upon which the movie was based:

"All right," Curtain shouted back. "If you are the police, where are your badges? Let's see them."

"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."

Quotes and spoofs:

In an episode of The Monkees from 1967, the band members play at being banditos. Michael (El Nesmito) wonders whether they should carry a club card or some badges. Micky (El Dolenzio) replies sneeringly with the line, "Badges? We don't need no steeenking badges!"

In the 1974 Mel Brooks film Blazing Saddles, probably the most famous parody of the line is delivered. Hedley Lamarr (Harvey Korman) is interviewing a line of criminals in order to deputise them so that they can terrorize a town. The line is filled with stereotypical criminals, from bikers to robed Klansmen. A group of Mexicans dressed in sombreros and bandoleros step up to him. He speaks to them briefly, hires them and tries to hand them deputy badges: "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

In the "WKRP in Cincinnati" episode "Filthy Pictures" Dr. Johnny Fever is forced by his employer Arthur Carlson to give details of a past arrest, a small event Fever characterizes as an "altercation with 145 Mexican cops." "I asked to see their badges," Fever tells Carlson, "but the guy said 'Badges?....We don't need no stinking badges!'."

In the Stephen King novel It, the character Richie Tozier repeatedly says "Batches? We don't need no steenking batches!"

In the 1984 film The Brother From Another Planet, two "men in black" (alien bounty hunters) enter the bar where the alien was supposedly found. The bartender, suspicious of their intentions, demands to see some I.D. John Sayles, the director of the movie, delivers the line "Badges? What badges? We don't have to show you any badges."

In an episode of the television series The A-Team (c. 1985), Hannibal hatches a plan for the team to dress as cops, but Face observes that they don't have any badges, to which Murdock responds "Badges? We don't need no steeenking badges!"

In the 1986 film Three Amigos, Steve Martin, Chevy Chase and Martin Short say "Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

In the 1989 Shelley Long film Troop Beverly Hills, when the troop's achievement patches are taken away, Rosa, the maid of Long's character (played by Shelley Morrison) says, "Patches? We don't need no stinkin' patches!"

In the 1989 "Weird Al" Yankovic film UHF, the host of Raul's Wild Kingdom receives a shipment of badgers in error: "Badgers? Badgers?!? We don't need no stinking BADGERS!!!"

In an episode of The Super Mario Brothers Super Show!, a Koopa Troopa (played by John Stocker) snaps "Caterers? We don't need no stinking caterers!"

In the 1989 Jim Jarmusch film Mystery Train, a young Japanese tourist obsessed with Carl Perkins and American culture says, "Matches? We don't need no stinking matches!" upon lighting a cigarette with a Zippo lighter.

The children's animated company Nelvana has parodied the quote in such cartoons as Care Bears, Fievel's American Tails and Babar.

A medallion is needed to enter the goblin realm in the seventh level of 1992 PC game Ultima Underworld. When the gatekeeper asks for it, one of the possible answers is "Medallion? I don't need no stinking medallion!".

In an episode of the sitcom 3rd Rock from the Sun (c. 1996), Harry (French Stewart) exclaims, "Bagels? We don't need no stinking bagels!"

In 1996, a recording of the University of Kentucky Mega-Sax Quartet in mostly-unaccompanied tracks was released called We Don't Need No Stinkin' Rhythm Section (Seabreeze 4516).

In the 2000 vampire film "From Dusk Till Dawn 3: The Hangman's Daughter", set in turn-of-the century Mexico, when an American brush salesman tries to sell brushes to a rather rough looking Mexican vampire, he replies, "We don't need no stinking brushes!".

In the 2001 film Bubble Boy, When offered patches to fix his bike the character Slim says, "Patches? I could use some stinking patches."

In an episode of Trial by Jury, Detective Lennie Briscoe responds to a woman who asks to see his and his partner's badge with, "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges." When the woman opens the door and asks what he said, he replies "I said yes, yes, of course you need to see our badges."

In the "Ghost in the Machine" episode of the cartoon Transformers, Scourge, possessed by Starscream's ghost, is intercepted by a couple of other Decepticons, who ask him for an entry pass. Starscream's ghost materialises and says "Passes? Passes? I don't need no stinking passes!".

In Eldest, the second book of the Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini, Loring the cobbler says "Barges? We don't want no stinking barges!"

On the X-Men TV Show Archangel (Stephen Ouimette) exclaims "Cities? They don't need no stinking cities!"

In the 1985 Anthony Edwards film Gotcha! when Jonathan's friend "Carlos", along with his friends 'surrounded' the FBI agents who then proceeded to flash their badges, "Carlos" retorted "Badges...we don't need no stinking badges"

In an episode of The Simpsons in which Homer Simpson becomes a food critic, Marge Simpson warns him that the typewriter he is using has a faulty E key. Homer replies, "We don't need no stinkin' E!"

In an episode of the 1990s Nickelodeon show, Salute Your Shorts, Appropriately enough, in the episode titled "The treasure of SARAH MADRE, Z.Z. finds a 'Junior Park Ranger's Badge' while the kids are digging for treasure. She shows it to Michael, who replies "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

UK band The Flaming Stars use samples of this dialogue on the song "Bandit Country," from the album Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia

Podcasting has adopted the variation, "Transmitters? We don't need no stinkin' transmitters!" as one of its slogans. It's currently used in several podcasts, most notably Adam Curry's Daily Source Code and was recorded by Craig Patchett from the Godcast Network.

In a fourth-season episode of Farscape, when the Scarran emperor asks John Crichton how he obtained the codes to a secret chamber, Crichton affects a Mexican accent and responds, "Codes? We didn't need no stinkin' codes!"

In an episode of The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, the main characters are being chased by self-appointed police officers, and when one of the characters asks to see their badges, the "officers" shoot at them wildly. The character Sheen remarks, "I don't think they need no stinking badges."

The September 11, 2003 edition of the online comic strip Real Life, the character Greg shouts "We don't need no stinking badgers!" as an intentionally bad pun after viewing the infamous Badger Badger Badger Flash animation. [1]

In the webcomic The Adventures of Dr. McNinja, the leader of a group of "raptor banditos"" cries "Latches? Latches? We don't need no stinking latches!"

In 2 Skinnee J's song "The Good The Bad and The Skinnee" the line "Badges, We don't need no stinkin' badges." is repeated several times.

In the trading card game "Magic: the Gathering," "We Don't Need No Stinking Merfolk" has been named as a card considered for design.

In a cartoon lampooning the George W. Bush administration's warrantless surveillance policy Dick Cheney snarls "We Don't Need No Stinking Warrants!"

In the Inspector Rebus novel Black and Blue, by Ian Rankin, a character orders an Indian takeaway and says 'Bhajis? we don't need no steenking bhajis'

In an episode of Digimon Adventure, Kari Kamiya says, "Crests? We don't need no stinking crests!"

In the Minutemen song "Badges" on the Post-Mersh Vol. 3 and Ballot Result albums, the entire lyrics consist of "Badges, We don't need no badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges!".

:shock: Wow that last post was long. My thoughts on badges, If your service/ department doesn't issue them you don't need one. If your service/department issues them they should be cloth sowed on to your uniform to give your patients less to grab onto. Metal badges can give that psych patient a very handy weapon.

I never understood the concept of a badge I mean how do you link the badge to the person showing it to you? There is nothing to prove that the badge is theirs and that they are who they say they are. Police in the UK have warrant cards with a photograph so the constable can be identified.

Anyone can buy an EMT/Paramedic badge online and ebay has hundreds and you can even get them embroidered with your name and number. This alone makes me wonder why any facility would accept a badge as ID when they are so freely available.

Surely your State or Company ID card would be more acceptable as it holds a photograph of you.

I can only echo what other posters have already said.

If a receiving facility refused to sign then I would document this and inform medical control.

and company ID cards cant be duplicated?

my company ID doesnt even have an expiration date.

what state card? you mean this letter ive had for 2 years telling me they are backed up and new cards cant be processed but this paper has all the authorities of the card. ?

that thing ? why carry it ? the state does not require you 2 carry your card or paper so why bother?

this is slightly off topic just mentioning.

anyways thx for your opinions.

On the subject of lines in movies and tv shows

Remember the time on WKRP in Cincinnati when Jonny Fever, Venus and Andy were trying to get the photos of Jennifer(loni Anderson, whatever happened to her) from the photographers office.

The night watchman was coming close and Johnny uttered that famous line "I was in a jail in Tijuana, Badges, We don't need no stinking badges" and they left the office without the photos.

The first thing to come to mind about badges, metal ones at least, is that they are heavy. I hate having unequal weights on different sides of a piece of clothing. If I put a badge on one side of my shirt, what would I do to balance the weight? If on my jacket, then I suppose I could put a heavy cell phone on the other side, but then I'd be front-heavy, and I don't like that either. Thus, I am more than happy not to have to wear, nor carry, any sort of badge.

A cloth "badge" would be ok. In our service, we have logos that are screened directly onto our shirts. They aren't separate "badges" as such, but the logos serve to help identify us as EMTs.

BTW, for similar reasons I don't carry much on my person. I just don't like a lot of weight hanging off of my clothing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.