EMT/MEDIC/ EMS Badges

What do you think?  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• Get the badge
    • Forget the badge talk to someone's boss and find out how to get the pt released without it

Let me try to sum up this string:

Those who feel a badge is needed as a symbol of training or authority, use an appropriate one.

Those who feel a badge is NOT needed as a symbol of training or authority, don't use one.

For whichever school of thought you follow, you would be correct.

Fineto!

I'll throw a different spin on things. I work for a special events EMS company and we wear badges on our uniforms for the dressier events (Auto Show, that sort of stuff) but we also wear ties and epaulet covers (God I HATE those!!!) but we also work some events plainclothes so we aren't as high profile. I have a generic EMT badge on a carrier and chain that I will put on if I have to treat someone but as soon as I'm done it is put away. I thought about getting one made like our dress badges because they won't permanently issue badges but then I thought that $40 would be better spent on something else.

No problem.

Be sure and post a pic of your new badge when it arrives.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Gags...

Anyway, on the topic of NY EMS Badges, my buddy was a VAC EMT in NYC. His shield ws exactly like a patrolmans shield, except it said NEW YORK CITY EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES instead of NEW YORK CITY POLICE DEPARTMENT. His DOH # was in the same place as a patrolmans shield number goes. From 10 feet away, it's really hard to tell the difference, as the lettering is all the same color...same as the shield, so it blends in with the rest of the badge. This was back in 1998. I have no clue what they're carrying now, if anything at all.

If you're in NYC, I recommend not getting on at all.

• 4 years later...

Whats the current state of affairs in NYS especially NYC, regarding this badge controversy? A few of us new grads are researching this before purchasing shields.

Havent found any writeups of arrests since the events in this thread in 2006.

Seems to me that if judges tossed out all 80 arrests, any arrests on same charges under the same circumstances would constitute harassment or false arrest and be actionable.

I spoke to a few street cops (detectives and a sarge) and they all said they wouldnt have any problem with an emt with a shield as described in he arrest reports above unless he was trying to pass himself off as a cop.

anyway, anyone have any authoritative guidance here?

We don't have badges, except on our dress uniforms (and I'm not special enough to have a dress uniform yet), though we do have some small pins we were on the left breast (and by we, I mean full-timers, part-timers don't get 'em). Badges are cool from a certain perspective, but really, I'm not a cop, I don't enforce the law, I don't need anymore proof than my ID badge, ambulance, and uniform and the fact that I mysteriously appeared right after you called 911 to prove who I am. We're medical providers and I feel we should look like them, and stop skirting the line between public safety officer and ER caregiver. One or the other, because this whole deal of trying to have the best of both worlds is really just making us the red headed stepchild of both.

ok great thanks for your opinion. we're past "you're stupid because you [do / dont] (pik one) want a badge."

now we're at info gathering for those in NYC who want one and want to be sure it wont cause a problem with NYPD and NYS Court Officers

any relevant feedback on that point?

Thew bottom line is with regards to a shield in NYC. The NYC Administrative law can be used against you by any police officer who wantsa to lock you up for it. So, I ask the following question:

1. Is it worth it to potentially get hassled for having and or wearing a shield that you need to go out and buy yourself ???

2. Why take the chance ????

I you want to treat yourself becasue you feel that becoming an EMT is an accomplishment, then i get it.

Here are some good options:

1. Go out and treat yourself to a really nice jumpsuit that will keep you worm duringthose cold winter months when you run calls in the middle of the night.

or 2. Go out an treat yourself to a really bright yellow relective EMS coat to really PROTECT you when running highway calls. You can feel free to plaster EMT patches all over it.

good luck with ther whole shield thing.

To quote a former Chief of my agency. "We do not have shields, we do not need them. Shields are something to hide behind. We have BADGES. Badge are a symbol of your authority and we wear ours proudly."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.