An increase in obese patients

ghurty

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, if mcdonalds can have a super sized meal then why not ambulance services.

Maybe dispatch will ask, do you need that super sized when you call for the ambulance?

Maybe dispatch will ask, do you need that super sized when you call for the ambulance?

the day I need a supersized ambulance is the day I take all my mothers pain pills to end it all.

Will there be a point that transporting morbidly obese patients becomes a liability?

I noticed that after transporting an 840LB patient, our cot lock bar was loose, it wobbled back and forth. But it was tight as could be. The patients weight actually bent the locking bar, and made it impossible to reattach and lock the cot. Luckily we had a second, but had there been an accident with a side impact, it's likely this lock would have broken off. And the bolts of the floor hook were actually broken. These items were meant to hold 650lbs. So, knowingly exceeding these manufacturer guidelines, seems like a legal risk to me. Is there some sort of kit available to retrofit a rig for bariatric transports.

Personally, I like the look of those ambulances in the UK w/ the lifts on the back like stretcher vans have.

the day I need a supersized ambulance is the day I take all my mothers pain pills to end it all.

lol you and me both!!! It is the sad truth as people can be stupid and lazy and which brings us to needing to super size things. Maybe we should just put a trailer on a fire truck. I would think that would be a lot cheaper.

Dispatch already does!! When I was in Lousiana doing that contract for Acadian, the dispatchers ask the patients weight. If the patient is 300lbs or more, two ambulances are sent. Great idea I think as it does not delay care by getting on scene, making the call and then waiting for second unit. (yes, second unit...fire and EMS are still seperate there in a major way)...

Get used to it - this is the trend, and there is no sign of it reversing. According to the latest statistics, 80% of Americans over the age of 25 are overweight.

The thing that concerns me the most is the dramatically increased chance of injury to EMS personnel trying to handle this increased poundage.

Stair chairs help, but there is only so much room in the average residential stairwell- you can't simply increase the number of people supporting the weight. Moving a patient who weighs as much as a large refrigerator is risky!

I would personally support the idea of an "obesity tax". You wanna eat until you can't walk, do it, but the additional costs for people and equipment to care for you are going to come out of your pocket.

The service I am employed with was considering purchasing a bariatric ambulance. One of the " stretcher fetcher" transport companies here has one and has made it known that they will respond with us if we call. So, for the time being that idea has been shelved.

Instead of ABC's being airway, breathing and circulation, The new ABC's will soon be airway, breathing and " Can you walk?" ;)

In my area of the country SE USA We call them "tater hogs". Like MedicNorth stated this is a trend. It appears to be fueled by super sized fast food,"all you can eat" buffets, high sugar snacks, and the usual American laziness.

The typical tater hog around these parts has a sense of "the world owes me something". They have been on a constant diet of soda, twinkees, cheetos, and fried food. They sit on their fat ass all day eating and watching Jerry Springer because you and I are out working to support them through food stamps and "welfare".

When they feel the need for a taxi ride they simply call good old 9-11 and two grumpy medics show up to cart them off to a hospital. They do not care if they are a danger to the crews trying carry them and if you get injured your management is likely to blame you in some way for things going wrong.

It is best for anyone who is serious about working in EMS to consider that in the years to come, EMS will be used and abused by tater hogs more and more often. Department heads/chiefs should be proactive in "bariatric" (Fat ass) ambulances.

I view tater hogs as another hazard of the EMS occupation....End Rant

Somedic