what was your first call

First call was in a rural area; a 28 year old miscarrying twins at 13 weeks in her bathtub. Blood++ and feces all over the place (including her). She was freaking out and in a lot of pain so wasn't walking. We carried her down the two flights of stairs on a stair chair to the ambo. She was 300lbs and flailing her arms so it was a bit of a task. The miscarriage happened en route to hospital, and when we arrived the nurse moved the frac pan onto the table next to the patient's head of all places. I ended up trapped between the bed and the crash cart and nowhere to turn. The nurse didn't see my non-chalant efforts to get her attention and move the thing into the sink, so the patient eventually turned her head and saw what was in the container.

We did a psych transfer with her into the city two days later as she tried to kill herself ...

I have to go back, way back. In our city, you could be 18 y/o to attend but had to be 21 y/o to drive the ambulance. I was 19 y/o had my standard St. John's first aid ticket and starting my first night shift with an older partner in a 10 yeer old 1955 yes 1955 Cadillac ambulance. We were called to a strippers bar where the stripper had fallen off the stage and fractured her ankle. Fortunately it was at the end of her shift so we did not have to worry about removing any clothing as there was none. It was when we put her in the back of the ambulance that I learned that it is always best to be the senior person as I became the driver at that moment.

Was that your first call or how you met your first wife ? :devilish:

cheers

Was that your first call or how you met your first wife ? devilish.gif

cheers

oh godd...

My first call was boring as hell! We went up to a resident home and someone just had a fever of 104 and AMS... how fun is that??? XD

I know it says, not ride alongs. But...

My first pt encounter was a 40 yo m with difficulty breathing. He had also had tuberculosis when he was younger. So I got to be fitted for an annoying Hepa mask that fogged up my glasses. We transported him to the hospital. And found out later that day, when we were back at the hospital that his heart had completely shifted to the right side of his chest. I thought that was neat. Well, not for him.

Hey I know how you feel on that part... I'm a Nationaly Registered First Responder and went for quite a few ride alongs during my class. I was two years ago when i was 14, we had to go to a residence home for an 89 y/o f with a high fever and AMS.... definitely not as exciting as the other patients I have had experiences with :[

I know it says, not ride alongs. But...

My first pt encounter was a 40 yo m with difficulty breathing. He had also had tuberculosis when he was younger. So I got to be fitted for an annoying Hepa mask that fogged up my glasses. We transported him to the hospital. And found out later that day, when we were back at the hospital that his heart had completely shifted to the right side of his chest. I thought that was neat. Well, not for him.

Hey I know how you feel on that part... I'm a Nationaly Registered First Responder and went for quite a few ride alongs during my class. I was two years ago when i was 14, we had to go to a residence home for an 89 y/o f with a high fever and AMS.... definitely not as exciting as the other patients I have had experiences with :[

My first call was so long ago that we went to it in a horse and cart.... :P I do, however, vividly remember that it was a cardac arrest in a forest with a (retrospectively) huge down time. Yes, I worked it and no, she didn't survive.

How we laugh at our baby steps in EMS....

WM

Edited by WelshMedic

Although it sound like one of those bullshit hero stories...

My first call as a paid medic on my own truck (in the U.S.) was an "Unresponsive 3 month old, CPR in progress."

Can't go into it further without taking a chance on following CrapMagnet down that bumpy road...

Dwayne

• 1 month later...

First calls as follows:

As an ECA --> amputated pinky finger...tip

As a Basic --> I wish I could remember.

As an Intermediate --> a long haul transfer (3 hrs) where I got to manually calculate a drip rate the entire trip. I know...nail biting.

As a Paramedic --> I should be getting on a truck in the next few weeks...so stay tuned!

First call was a couple of days ago. Called to a nursing home for trouble breathing. Older patient with multiple issues. Nurse says he has aspiration pneumonia, and is barely breathing. Really struggling. Working with the paramedic, inserted an NPA and bagged all the way to the hospital and in the er until respiratory could come down. It is probably something that I will always remember. Looking in to the patient's eyes while assisting his respirations and seeing the panic in his eyes. He was unable to speak (stroke and other problems).

Mine was a trip and fall on an icy driveway. Compound ankle fracture. She was not in much pain surprisingly, and said it had nothing on child birth.

That was actually the only compound fracture I've ever seen, I tend to be a white cloud for all my calls.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.