what was your first call

Now that brings back some memories from back in the day

Yeah, it brings back memories of back in the day.... Like yesterday. I guess that's what happens when you don't work in US or Canada. We re-use the disposable BVMs, have old gross foot suction units, re-use C-collars (and not the easy adjustable Laedral one's, ours have 2 pieces and sizes), we re-use just about anything we can.

Anyway, back on topic. My first call... was something like abdmonial pain. What a fun way to start working. But, my first call as a first responder was an MI, I was at an engagement party with my boyfriend, who had an ambulance with him, he got a beeper for a call nearby, and off we went, my boyfriend (approximately the equivilent of an EMT-I), his cousin (a paramedic) and I (an EMT-B), it was a fun makeshift ambulance team; the only thing we lacked was a monitor, but we managed, started an IV, took vitals, gave O2, gave aspirin, and did what we could, before the mICU came.

I had just put my card in my wallet and got toned to a single vehicle rollover MVC. En Route we found out that there were 6 patients, all juveniles, four ejected. Got on scene and found four in the roadway, and two walking wounded (seatbelts ofcourse) with a handful of first responders. Dispatched 2 additional squads (while en route) and then the helo. Turns our the van went up an embankment, rolled, and then continued to roll back across the road. the sliding door of this van had opened and just tossed out all four of the ejected mid-roll. The driver and passenger had seat belts on and signed off AMA and were taken in a private vehicle to the hospital. All of the kids lived, and ironically....three of them are in the US History class I am student teaching for right now. they had an assortment of injuries....2 head injuries, multiple arm/leg fx's, one broken back.....it was simply unforgettable.

I just got my card laminated that day like a brand new wacker and was on duty for my college's volley EMS squad. 8) It was the first time I dealt with a pager as well. Anyway, I'm there in my room and my crew chief asks for my location over the radio. I, confused ,reply back that I am in my room and he yells out " why are you not here, theres a call!" Apparently my pager didn't work.

I ran across campus like a track star wannabe and make it in time to see the crew chief and another EMT wheeling her out on the strecher to the ambulance. C/C was shortness of breath, ALS recalled for a 19 y.o f. So I do my thing and take vitals and when I ask about the onset , the pt is says "MY BOYFRIEND BROKE UP WITH ME!' :roll: I look at my crew chief who was just about to explode in laughter. I decide that I heard enough and put her NRB back on. Transported and transferred without incident.

On the way back, feeling satisfied of having complete my first call, I go and tell the other EMT, who is driving, that it was my first call as an EMT. He just laughed and just told me that I have so much more to learn.....

I've been learning ever since. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.