what was your first call

EMT- 54 YO M shot himself twice bolt action in cx front lawn DOA

Paramedic- Drive by gang shooting Grand Rapids Mich. 4 yo m shot in head lived 2 yo m shot in throat died 15 yo m in house target not hurt brothers...................18 yo m killed previous year died

Ambulance was blocked we were trapped. Finally convinced family to talk law enforcement into agreeing to allow us to move body. Crowd calmed down. Still alive after all these years but ambulance is always parked where can leave quickly.

On that...

Remember that a parked vehicle is, by it's nature, stationary, and a crowd, or worse, a riot, by it's nature, is mobile, and can move to engulf, by design or accident, anything stationary.

• 2 weeks later...

my first call as an EMT a pt. drove herself to our substation and walked in C/O an "uncomfortable feeling" in her chest so we put her in the unit and started some O2 and transported to hospital 30 min. away (bls service) no als in the county at that time pt. was diagnosed with a MI and the reason that I will never forget this call is this pt. was my mother!!!

EMT -- Double heroin overdose. Got to watch the medics do two EJ's. Kind of weird your first time seeing that, doesn't seem right somehow...

Medic -- Two twin 3 y/o dead from house fire. Worked one of them.

Or at least, those are the two I remember from early in my career.

First call was a donor bike that lost it on a gravel covered curve and hit his chest on a steal post on the side of the road...got to the hospital and watched the Dr put in bilat chest tubes...

It was 20 years ago. I think it was a transfer from a residence to a hyberbaric facility. My partner and I were in a Dodge Caravan high-top , we called it the pocket-rocket. The monitor was a huge, very heavy MRL. hmmm. single then, no kids. no health problems. I can remember a few calls from those first years. Bad trauma patients that we would take to the half-@ssed local ERs. Racing the competition to the calls, scanner-jumping. We only wore gloves if there was a gross amount of blood or body fluids. Needles went in to regular trash. We used sandbags on our backboards. We cleaned and re-used our BVM's. Spent way too much of my life cleaning those old Laerdal suction units. We used those APCOR radios(like the ones Johnny & Roy used) to call the ER, and transmitted our 3-lead strips from our new LP5's . We'd spend all the time in the world on scene with trauma patients, putting on MAST pants, starting IV's. We'd work trauma arrests. We'd laugh about the old load-n-go days, how little they could do. lol

It was 20 years ago. I think it was a transfer from a residence to a hyberbaric facility. My partner and I were in a Dodge Caravan high-top , we called it the pocket-rocket. The monitor was a huge, very heavy MRL. hmmm. single then, no kids. no health problems. I can remember a few calls from those first years. Bad trauma patients that we would take to the half-@ssed local ERs. Racing the competition to the calls, scanner-jumping. We only wore gloves if there was a gross amount of blood or body fluids. Needles went in to regular trash. We used sandbags on our backboards. We cleaned and re-used our BVM's. Spent way too much of my life cleaning those old Laerdal suction units. We used those APCOR radios(like the ones Johnny & Roy used) to call the ER, and transmitted our 3-lead strips from our new LP5's . We'd spend all the time in the world on scene with trauma patients, putting on MAST pants, starting IV's. We'd work trauma arrests. We'd laugh about the old load-n-go days, how little they could do. lol

Now that brings back some memories from back in the day

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.