I missed this lesson in paramedic school & the fire acad

The link above took me to a Dove commercial

That's so funny! It's like the opposite of those silly (and, uh, abusive) videos that prepare you to be soothed and then shock you with a screaming monster. Ambushed by a dove! Bombed by the Salvation Army! A peace attack!

Alas, if only a single such battle could turn the war...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, we do not know what was said or really occurred, but the firefighter that appeared to be kicking (balding/shaved head) has the typical small man testerone syndrome. Even attempting to fight another after the occurrence.

Department needs to review and take disciplinary measures. I agree that many times we get tired of being abused, but the difference is we are above that. We are supposed to be professionals. They were not attacked... it was vice versa...

R/r 911

I'm going to have to agree with Rid here... disciplinary action ought to be taken. It was only words until one of the firefighters grabbed the guy, and the kicking, I don't think he can justify that, the guy wasn't going anywhere at that point. Not to mention the fact that the kicker pushes the bystander who yells at him when he kicks the guy. EEsh.

While certainly aggressive, the first firefighter seemed to be responding to the guy getting in one of the resident's face. The guy had already passed by twice puffing his chest with belligerent body language, pointing and seemingly yelling while he blocked the door. FF went to take him down before he took that other guy down...but then again that's just me trying to justify what I saw.

The guy who does the kicking seems on the aggressive side, though, even with the passerbys. But again I don't know what they were saying.

Obviously, I was not there, so without an audio track I cannot really guess wtf happened.

I recall a long time ago, an EMT of my aquaintance, who's dad was an FD Battalion Chief (or so he said), brought a verbally abusive patient to the hospital, for a 72 hour hold in the Psych area. He and his partner were letting the patient, who was not restrained, or accompanied by a LEO, have a last cigaret before bringing him inside.

I suddenly realized he was taunting the patient, almost asking the patient to throw a punch, and it looked like the patient was going to take up the invite. I walked up, tried to play peacemaker, but the EMT wouldn't allow it, even with his partner also trying to slow things down.

I ran inside, and got a Hospital Cop to come outside, who did calm things down. I also reported the incident, verbally, to the supervisor when I came in to turn over my unit to the next tour.

I should mention that this EMT was always acting the jerk, as he felt that he was biding his time, until he could leave the EMS Command of the FD, and become a firefighter. If he had any friends at all among the EMTs and Paramedics, I was then, and am now, unaware of them.

My attitude was, he's a jerk, but he's still "one of our EMS family". The supervisor indicated that he'd learn not to do such things when a patient would attack him. The supervisor declined further action.

Same dude, different day: We had a "removal" call, taking a crime victim patient that had been declared dead by another crew, after "release" of the body by the Chief Medical Examiner, to the morgue. This is the only call with a "patient" aboard the ambulance, where nobody has to ride the patient compartment accompanying. The jerk EMT insisted on riding in the back with the deceased, so he could read his firefighter's entrance exam prep book!

He stayed in EMS for less than a year, passed the entrance exams to the fire academy, and, last I heard, is making enemies among the firefighters, wherever it is that he is now assigned as a firefighter.

Certaintly looks like "Short bald man syndrome" to me.

I have to mention however with the number of fire personnel there I am surprised the medic just "abandoned" his patient. Unless that little scuffle got really out of hand I don't think I would have left my patient alone to help 4 firefighters subdue some loudmouth.

This kind behavior is never warranted. I presume the "kicker" is some sort of captain or something (lack of turnout) and is setting an example for some of the younger guys on the crew...

C'mon people try and evolve with the rest of society!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.