Down time-Station or Home?

bbbrammer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can some people be 10-8 in 5 minutes or less when coming from home? Do you guys sleep in your uniform? Just wondering. I live at the station when I'm on call due to not living in the community where I work and I usually take 5+ minutes.

Wow! Then you my friend is very very slooooowwwww.....lol

5 minutes and youo are already in the station??

All the sevices I have worked for has us being en route within 2 minutes. And no I never slept in uniform or with my boots on. I had a zip up jumpsuit for nights and zippered boots.

My company has three markets. One of the markets is considered 24 hours on call and you can be anywhere in town during the day as long as you can be rolling in 5 minutes, and then at night you have 7 minutes. Our other markets require 60 second "shoot" (out the door) times and then at night you have 2 minutes shoot time. I prefer the call market, since i can go to the store, or over to a friends or whatever i want, but i still work.

I live and work in a small town so I'm on call 24/7 from home if I know we've got a busy night ahead like the local grad then I take the van home and respond from there, otherwise it sits in the garage and we still manage to beat an 8 minute response time. We have a low call volume so I get paid 40 hrs per week to do house work and play on the PC :D .

As I said before I work normal day shifts (8-9 hours) and then are on call after hours (this is fairly typical in rural Australia). I am expected to be on-case within 3 minutes during my normal shift which is fine because I am being paid accordingly to by available for a rapid response. After hours my turnout time is extended to 10 minutes which gives you time to get changed, splash some water on your face, have a slash or whatever. I feel this is quite reasonable as you cannot live 7 days straight in a state of constant readiness to turn out within a few minutes. I try to get on with a normal life as soon as my shift is over and forget that I am on-call until the pager/mobile goes off. As for needing twice as many vehicles, that may be the case but it is much cheaper that staffing a night shift! Vehicles are cheap compared to trained paramedics.

• 3 weeks later...
How can some people be 10-8 in 5 minutes or less when coming from home? Do you guys sleep in your uniform? Just wondering. I live at the station when I'm on call due to not living in the community where I work and I usually take 5+ minutes.

Some of us "come as you are" We don't wear uniforms. I personally sleep in something comfortable that would also be apprpriate on a scene.

We work four consecutive 24-hour shifts. Four of those hours are spent at the office or bay. The rest of the time is on-call. We have to live within five minutes of the bay and when a call comes in we have five minutes to get to the ambulance. My house is just down the street, so I usually have time to throw on my uniform and walk or jog to the bay.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.