Equipment Usage + Creativity = ?

bbbrammer

In our rural system we often don't have all the new gadgets and equipment that alot of city services do, so I was wondering how creatively some of you have had to use the equipment that you do have on the truck to fit certain situations and certain patients.

For example, we worked a two vehicle rollover on the turnpike that had four pts-3 adults and one child. We only had 3 LSB's on the truck so they needed to go on the adults. In order to c-spine the kid (3yom), I had to use the KED to immobilize him because that was the only thing I had left on my truck to do it with. A little outside of specs, but not too far. And it did effectively immobilize him.

Another time I had an MVA pt who was having an MI. Because of the MI and the 30mi to the hospital, I couldn't lay her down on the cot on a LSB since it compramised her breathing. But she REALLY needed to be c-spined. So I figured that if the KED immobilized someone well enough to get them out of the vehicle, why not use it to immobilize at a 45degree angle on the way to the hospital? It immobilized her entire spine from butt to head, but allowed her to sit up enough to breath. Again not quite the specs on usage, but a creative enough solution to the problem.

What are some other ways that you have had to modify the use of your equipment to fit the problem?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't one use of the KED pediatric immobilization ??? .

Prior to getting Pediatric spine boards, thats what I would have used.. I've used the KED for stabilization of "hip" fractures, then scoop the patient onto a spine board that is padded with a long blanket, remove the scoop, and your set. Less movement, less time on a truely hard surface, less pain.

Somebody actually sells paediatric spine boards? :?

Somebody actually buys paediatric spine boards? :shock:

I can't remember ever having so much spare compartment room on an ambulance that I could afford to stuff pointless crap like that in there.

Now spine boards for fat people... there is something you might actually find occasionally useful! Are you carrying those? :D

I learned an interesting acronym (I think that's the right word) from a student of mine many years ago. It's DWIF and it's used to describe what to do when you have to make do with what you've got (or don't got for that matter) and it means Deal With It, F***! On that note, I've had to make unusual use of things for so long I can't recall any specific one thing...every time they give us a bigger ambulance, the service decides we need to put more useless stuff in it...

Tox :D

Somebody actually buys paediatric spine boards?

Hrmm.. :( I won't waste my time justifing the use.. It will be lost in translation. However.

Yes.. Somebody buys them.. and it was very kind of Proctor & Gamble Corp to purchase the Pedi-Air-Align boards for us.

• 2 weeks later...
For example, we worked a two vehicle rollover on the turnpike that had four pts-3 adults and one child. We only had 3 LSB's on the truck so they needed to go on the adults. In order to c-spine the kid (3yom), I had to use the KED to immobilize him because that was the only thing I had left on my truck to do it with. A little outside of specs, but not too far. And it did effectively immobilize him.

What are some other ways that you have had to modify the use of your equipment to fit the problem?

A few weeks ago I used a big leg vacuum splint to immobilize a 2,5 year old girl who was hit by a car and was being carried around by relatives, head dangling and all.

The splint was the first thing within reach so I used it to stop those not so smart and panicky relatives from ruining her spine.

What also works well if you don't have the necessary bandages anymore for a dislocated shoulder : cut open the sweater or T-shirt a bit (with the permission of the owner of course :D ) and fix it with 2 kochers.

I have to improvise quite often unfortunately, the equipment is rather scarse sometimes :cry: .

• 10 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.