Medical Emergiencies aboard an Airplane, what to do differen

ghurty

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oasis card???? That smacks a bit as being a poser. Do you get free drinks because you do that?

Uhmmm... no?

OASIS = Ontario Ambulance Service Identifaction System

When boarding the plane, you are required to show photo ID to prove you are who you say you are.

In order to be a Paramedic in Ontario, you HAVE to have this card on your person at ALL times when you are working. It is a government issued ID card.

If that means I'm a poser, then I guess all the medics in Ontario are.

The card:

Picture005.jpg

Showing how it is convenient to use it as photo ID:

Picture004.jpg

Hell, I always wondered what akroeze stood for. It never even occured to me it was your name!!

I thought it was that freaky Canadian spelling for "ambulance" of something....No...wait....surely ambulance has an 'ou' in it somehow....

Dwayne

Hell, I always wondered what akroeze stood for. It never even occured to me it was your name!!

I thought it was that freaky Canadian spelling for "ambulance" of something....No...wait....surely ambulance has an 'ou' in it somehow....

Dwayne

My secret is out :D

I considered blocking out my name... but then the previously mentioned laziness kicked in.

I usually do not identify myself..however, if I notice in boarding someone that makes me wonder if they are healthy enough to be flying or if I notice something that makes me think someone is ill and may need assistance then I will usually mention to a flight attendant that I am a retired medic and if there is anything I can do to assist I will be happy to. They usually thank me again for offering on disembarking. I never considered it posing or a big deal, just offering if I felt it was possibly needed.

Have been used a few times, have not had to do anything ALS yet, often wondered what I would do since I am not currently certified I think I would have to make that call based on the circumstances at the time. I would certainly waive for someone who is certified or licensed and just assist. I specifically have not asked what my legal position is cause I think I might know the answer and I do not want to know that...ignorance is bliss and all...

I have never been offered a drink or flight perks for helping but, with all due respect, I disagree that it would blow my good samaritan coverage unless I asked for the perks. I can't say I am familiar with the good sa laws in each of the 50 States, but I am familiar with at least half of them and I have yet to see one that would disqualify me unless I sought remuneration. That being said I would have an ethical problem with acepting the perks, but not a legal fear.

Did the attorney give you a specific cite for his statement? I would love to look up the law for the State he is in, perhaps it is worded to preclude accepting unsolicited awards, scholarships, or anything tangible. I have gotten a few free meals at Red Cross "heros" breakfasts, no worries for me there either.

I am not challenging here, just looking to learn something new....

As far as the Good Sam thing goes, if you accept anything you could be on shaky ground. Here is a wiki reference and another reference to a site that seems to have a good deal of info (admittedly I have not gone through it, but maybe someone can and let us know). I have a feeling it might depend on the mood of the judge the day that you show up in court, but I am basing that on very little information and very little sleep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law

http://medi-smart.com/gslaw.htm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.