Medical Emergiencies aboard an Airplane, what to do differen

ghurty

This seems to be de-evolving into an old discussion somewhere else on the EMT City forums, that of "Legal" and "Moral" "Duty To Act." I'm going to go by memory, and infer Local Protocols Rule philosophies here...again.

I'm an EMT of 33 years experience, under New York State's DoH rules. I will paraphrase, as I don't want to look up specific numbered quotes at this time.

An EMT or Paramedic who is on duty, in uniform, and/or being paid for their services has a legal duty to act, to the best of their abilities, to the level of their training, acting as their protection under New York State Public Health Law Article 30.

An EMT or Paramedic who is off duty, in or out of uniform, and acts to the best of their abilities, to the level of their training, without expectation of receiving monetary or other compensation (that free drink someone mentioned disqualifies the individual in this instance), is covered under "Good Sam" rules.

We all know, here in New York State, even with the protection of either Article 30, or under the Good Sam laws (Is there actually a law? I'm not sure on the specific), in the overly litigatious United States "society", where anyone can sue anyone else, for almost anything, at any time, you can be sued. I always refer to the urban legend of the patient who got brought back from a Cardiac Arrest, who sued the Paramedics and their service for ripping his $300.00 imported Italian silk shirt while applying the electrodes from the Defibrillator.

Can someone check for me, as to if a medical person who is NOT NAEMT responds aboard an aircraft where they are a passenger, if they are operating under the rules of the state from where the aircraft departed, or the state of the destination, or whatever state the aircraft is flying over? I admit confusion on that specific.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cut and pasted from my blog:

I went to Vegas back in Nov 2005 for the Rescue Competition. It was only the 2nd time I went on an airplane. I was wearing a NYC*EMS Medic shirt, and on the way out there, I was sleeping (somewhat) when I heard a stewardess ask “Is there a doctor or a nurse or someone with medical training onboard?” I reached up looking for the call button, identified myself, and was brought to the back of the plane. Come to find a 28 y/o female disabled Marine, hyperventilating. Well you see, what happened was, her cane fell out of the overhead compartment and landed on her head, giving her head and neck pain. No biggie, except for the fact she was hyperventilating so much, that her arms and hands cramped up. So even after about 20 minutes of her on a non-rebreather w/o O2, she still couldn’t break it, and someone else (NOT ME!) made the decision to land. And on the descent, she went unconscious. 4 times. So we landed in Indianapolis and offloaded her. There was also an EMT on the plane who was assisting me. Either way, there was no slowing this lady's breathing down. I never talked to a doctor, and someone else made the decision to land. Not me.

I think next time I'll just roll over.

Not immediately, that is.

So "logically" my next question would be this, if the survivors stagger over the border into Canada, without US passports,

get drunk with the Flight attendents for 3 weeks, under new US laws will they are not be allowed back into the US right then. If so......you following here...they get "crashed" immigrant status, they apply for reciprocity in EMS and bingo more Health care workers for Canada. Its clear now, I can see it all ...... this was all a clever government hijacking by a special undercover operative called dick.

OK so here is another thought.

"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people" Eleanor Roosevelt - US diplomat & reformer (1884 - 1962)

"mediccjh"]Cut and pasted from my blog:

Come to find a 28 y/o female disabled Marine, hyperventilating. Well you see, what happened was, her cane fell out of the overhead compartment and landed on her head, giving her head and neck pain. No biggie, except for the fact she was hyperventilating so much, that her arms and hands cramped up. So even after about 20 minutes of her on a non-rebreather w/o O2, she still couldn’t break it, and someone else (NOT ME!) made the decision to land. And on the descent, she went unconscious. 4 times. So we landed in Indianapolis and offloaded her. There was also an EMT on the plane who was assisting me. Either way, there was no slowing this lady's breathing down.

Ok now this is an interesting thread, could it be possible that this individual could be suffering from Central Neuological HyperVentilation it is not as uncommon as one would think, what exactly was the disability, the cramping you describe would it be possible that this was "Midwives sign" perhaps a calcium related problem ?

Was there any meds on board at your disposal, like any benzo's? My experiance has been that the BANYAN STAT kits are carried on many overseas flights and I have had occasion to view the contents, if I can remember valium is in the kit. If I had any idea how to insert a file.... but I don't.... I do have a image that lists all the contents of the BANYAN STAT kit for those that would care to see.

cheers

Sorry.... I haven't heard a word since somebody mentioned the Mile High Club. :twisted:

I got screwed by the Air Force. Does that make me a member?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.