Abuses of the EMS uniform

Whatever uniform any service provides to identify us as EMS providers is there to instill public trust and a level of confidence to the patients we serve - NO MORE, NO LESS. Any use of this uniform beyond it being a symbol of trust and confidence is abuse. As only one of the many who strive to improve our professionalism, and the perception of EMS as a profession, abuses of any kind are humiliating to me. They are also humiliating to the people I respect within this profession.

I have witnessed a few people requesting special privileges while in uniform, and I think it is just a gross display of arrogance. What may possibly, arguably, be worse is using this uniform while off-duty for any kind of personal gain. The only time any of us should be in uniform off-duty is when travelling to- or from work. To use the uniform for the purpose of obtaining a privilege that is illegal...... we can only hope that the person doing this can look into his own heart and ultimately make the right decision.

From the time that I was very young, my Dad taught me to accept praise with humility and appreciation. Conversely, if I make mistakes, I was to accept correction/criticism with the same humility and appreciation. Put another way, someone I respect immensely within EMS once said "If you mess up, fess up". We can only learn if we admit there is something to learn. I, like many others, was 17 (or 18, or 19, or whatever) once, and have made plenty of mistakes.

I do not wish for AK to reveal the identity of this person. Ideally, whoever this is will look into himself and make the right decisions. Naturally, we all have our suspicions, and I suspect I know who this is also. I can say with confidence that admission of mistakes and commitment to correct them can lead only to increasing respect, increasing self-esteem, increasing professionalism, and increasing self knowledge and acceptance. Your partners in EMS can only respect you and help you if they know who you are and who or what you are striving to become. So how about it, dude?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well young man let me start of by saying that you make me sick. You have no respect for yourself and the rest of us professionals in the field.

Well here I go on my long winded speech again I tried to post earlier but the system was down and I couldn't save the post. SO I'll say I'm sorry now if my post shows up twice. I'll try to keep this short and to the point.

Young man first of all your under age to buy Alcohol. If you get caught this will be a black mark on your record and any employer who might hire you will see this. The employer might say will son I like to hire you but I have issues with people who at one time was caught using his uniform to by alcohol and was under age. It shows the employer that you have no pride in your profession or your self.It also sets you up for showing that you can not be trusted. If you are willing to due this what to say that you won't start stealing from the stores by grapping something and running out saying you have a call and that you'll be back later to pay for the Meal, Item. (This has been done before)

The medics that did this were caught and it put areally big black mark on the rest of us who went to this restraunt.

2. Young man you think that you are so smart because you put your uniform on and walk into the store and buy alcohol for yourself and maybe your under age friends. Well my friend one of these days it will bite you in the ass because the Cheif of the Vollie dept. you are on is going to see you or some other member will see this and they will fry your ass like it should be.

3. Or you will be there buying your alcohol thinking your so cool and you'll walk out with your head held high and thinking those ass holes didn't even check me for ID and its because of my uniform. Thats when you'll come around the corner meet face to face with one of the local PD who knows your true age and will haul your ass in.

4. You go to the store and buy alcohol for your friend and you you each have a couple of drinks your friend says he going to his girlfriends and says thanks man for the bottle of rum and I'll see you later. Three hours later you are dispatched to a 2 car MVC with 6 pts involved when you roll up in your Vollie unit you jump out and run to the car that you think you reconize. Thats when your worst nightmare hits you your drinking buddy and his girlfriend and one other friend have been injured. The second car is the wife and his kids of the store owner who sold you the alcohol and he reconizes you and the friend and thats when he over hears the ages of your friends and he knows you bought the alcohol.

I bet right now he wondering if you had been drinking also and now your here going to take care of these people that are injured.

LET ME SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU..... YOUR NOW GOING TO COURT FOR SUPPLYING ALCOHOL TO MINORS AND THEN YOU WILL BE SUED FOR THE CAUSE OF THE ACCIDENT BECAUSE YOU AND YOUR BUDDY WHO WILL TELL THE COURTS ABOUT HOW YOU USE THE UNIFORM TO BUY ALCOHOL ALL THE TIME AND HOW YOU BOTH HAD BEEN DRINKING EARLIER. NOW THERE WILL BE A TRIAL WONDERING IF YOU WERE UNDER THE INFLUENCE WHY WORKING. THE SERVICE THAT YOU VOLLIE FOR WILL BE SUED THEN YOU WILL BE SUED BY ANY PT THAT YOU HAD CONTACT IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS WHEN THIS HITS THE NEWS.SHOWING UP TO THE SCENE UNDER THE INFLUENCE.

BUT WHAT THE HELL YOUR COOL RIGHT BECAUSE YOU CAN USE THE UNIFORM FOR YOU TO BUY ALCOHOL.

ONCE AGAIN ITS BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU! US TRUE PROFESSIONALS WILL HAVE A VERY BIG BLACK MARK ON OUR SHOULDERS

AK I feel sorry that this young man has put you into this position. I know you being a true professional and do the right thing.

Thanks to you all.

Sorry for being long winded

Does his screen name start with B and he is from Australia?

Ive heard of EMS people going out with their family (who were wearing sweat suits and fanny packs) in uniform and demanding a discount at restaurants but I have never heard of this type of BS before. Im in awe that someone has the bollocks to do something like this.

Somedic

I'm just in EMT school right now and it was stated loud and clear if we were ever caught within a stone throw of any alcohol while wearing our uniform we would be immediately expelled from our program for life.

Such behaviour would violate school rules as well as the Code of Ethics by our licensing board.

And...this is when we aren't even employed yet. Darn tootin' something should be done about this guy.

A few years ago I did something really, really stupid. I stopped at the local pizza joint on my way home from work to pick up an order my wife placed. I was tired and kinda irritated that we had company over on a work night but that's life. So I had one of those shifts where youre just going non stop and you look and feel like a zombie. Anyway I grabbed some chips, soda for the kids, and two six pack of Coors for the adults.

The guy asks me if I want a bag for the beer so I can "sneak" it into the ambulance station. This guy actually beleived that we were going to have beer and pizza at work. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I quickly, and loudly explained that I was off duty and had company at home. I'm not sure what was worse. The fact that I was absent minded enough to do this or that the guy selling me the beer didn't seem to have a problem with the idea of EMS folks having a few beers with dinner.

A few years ago I did something really, really stupid. I stopped at the local pizza joint on my way home from work to pick up an order my wife placed. I was tired and kinda irritated that we had company over on a work night but that's life. So I had one of those shifts where youre just going non stop and you look and feel like a zombie. Anyway I grabbed some chips, soda for the kids, and two six pack of Coors for the adults.

The guy asks me if I want a bag for the beer so I can "sneak" it into the ambulance station. This guy actually beleived that we were going to have beer and pizza at work. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I quickly, and loudly explained that I was off duty and had company at home. I'm not sure what was worse. The fact that I was absent minded enough to do this or that the guy selling me the beer didn't seem to have a problem with the idea of EMS folks having a few beers with dinner.

This is the best post on this thread...Something he can learn from instead of get pissed at and ignore.

Follow the advice given, understand that what has happened is not a childhood prank but has real, life long consequences. Change your behavior and be an influence in the behavior of your friends and coworkers from here on out.

I've done some incredibley stupid and immoral things in my life, I've gotten passed them...you do the same...Good luck...And what ever you do , DO NOT post here attempting to explain your actions.

Dwayne

I have seen this happen a few times in my area. I must applaud the businesses in the city where I work because they really do appreciate the fire and EMS providers, and show it by giving discounts and benefits on a regular basis. We do, however, have a few that like to abuse the privilege. I admit, I haven't heard of one of my colleagues going into a bar or liquor store in uniform, but it wouldn't surprise me.

For us as an agency, we need to be mindful of the image we project to others. We are trying to get more respect and recognition from the public at large, but we do so much to damage that. We aren't going to see a change until we change ourselves.

G.

Now I'm really doing the home work for you. These are PA Laws for your situation!

DUI Laws:

http://dui.findlaw.com/dui/state-dui-law/p...ia-dui-law.html

Vehicle Accident while DUI

http://injury.findlaw.com/car-accident/car...verview(1).html

Involuntary/Voluntary Man Slaughter

http://members.aol.com/StatutesPA/18.Cp.25.html

§ 4115. Falsely impersonating persons privately employed.

http://members.aol.com/StatutesP4/18PA4115.html

Subchapter A - Perjury And Falsification In Official Matters

§ 4912. Impersonating a public servant.

http://members.aol.com/StatutesP3/18PA4912.html

Alcohol Impaired Driving Statistics

Total Fatalities / Fatality Rates

250,000 people have died in alcohol related accidents in the past 10 years.

Presently 25,000 people are killed each year in alcohol related accidents.

500 people are killed each week in alcohol related accidents.

71 people are killed each day in alcohol related accidents.

One American life is lost every 20 minutes in alcohol related auto crashes.

It is estimated that one out of every two Americans will be involved in an alcohol related accident in his or her lifetime.

In 1994, New Hampshire had 119 total highway fatalities, 42 were alcohol related (or 35.3% of the total). New Hampshire leads the nation with one of the lowest percentages of alcohol related fatalities.

Cause of Death

Alcohol related crashes are the leading cause of death for young Americans, between the ages of 16 and 24 years old.

For all Americans between 5 and 35 years of age, motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of death. Over 50% of these accidents are caused by alcohol impaired drivers.

Recent Alcohol-Involvement

Over 50% of all fatal highway crashes involving two or more cars are alcohol related.

Over 65% of all fatal single car crashes are alcohol related.

Over 36% percent of all adult pedestrian accidents are alcohol related.

80% of all fatal alcohol related auto crashes occur between 8 pm and 8 am.

36% of all adult pedestrian accidents involve an intoxicated pedestrian.

Injury Crashes / Collisions

Every year, 708,000 persons are injured in alcohol related crashes; 74, 000 of those people suffer serious injuries.

About 2,000 people are hurt each day in alcohol related accidents.

Two million alcohol impaired driving collisions occur each year.

Arrest / Characteristics of Alcohol Impaired Drivers

Of every 200 to 2,000 alcohol impaired drivers on the road, only one is arrested. Therefore, the probability of getting caught is slim. Of those who are caught, very few receive a serious penalty.

The average alcohol impaired driver arrested on the highway has a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .20%, double the level for presumed intoxication in most states; that is 14 drinks of 86% proof liquor (or 14 beers) in 4 hours for a 180 lb. man.

Between 7 pm and 3 am on weekends, 10% of all drivers are legally impaired, in some parts of the country.Most Americans drink alcohol. Over 80% admit to driving after drinking.

Relatively few problem drinkers, about 7% of the driving population, account for over 66% of all alcohol related fatal accidents.

When drinkers are at the presumed level of intoxication, the risk of causing an accident is six times greater than for non-drinking drivers.

Youth

Although persons between 16 and 24 years old comprise only 20% of the total licensed population, and 20% of the total vehicle miles traveled in this country by all licensed drivers, they cause 42 percent of all fatal alcohol related crashes.

Economic / Societal Cost

According to a recent Allstate Insurance Company study, alcohol impaired drivers are estimated to cost American taxpayers $21 - $24 billion dollars per year.

National Geographic recently stated that alcohol abuse costs American society $136 billion and 65,000 lives annually.

Miscellaneous

Admittedly, the United States has one of the safest highway systems in the world, due in part to design characteristics, guard rails, highway markings and signs. We have relatively few fatalities per 100-million miles driven. But the portion of our accidents involving alcohol is among the highest in the world.

An accident by an alcohol impaired driver is the most frequently committed violent crime in the United States today. Other alcohol-related statistics show the involvement of alcohol in many non-driving aspects: 40% of all suicide attempts are alcohol-related 54% of all violent crimes are alcohol-related 60% of all emergency room admissions are alcohol-related 80% of all domestic disputes are alcohol-related

In Summery, I hope you go back and look at these sites, I hope that you learn from it. Don't be a fool, be cool!!!

Wearing an uniform that identifies you as EMS does elicit public trust. To use it to gain special privileges is without question unprofessional. I have seen this by older members of the field as well as younger...the "I am entitled" attitude. I find it very embarrassing for the rest of us (not that I am saying I never received a discount or had someone buy coffees- but I never sought it out and I always felt very grateful).

As far as this person's actions, it may just be arrogance and immaturity. However, using it to do something illegal shows an extreme lack of judgement that I would hope that he gives some serious thought and reflection. I would also hope he recognizes when in uniform, his behavior reflects on others in the field.

I do not see any benefit resulting from naming names. If a lesson can be learned and a potentially career ending attitude change, then AK's post has achieved a positive goal.

my .02 cents

Happy Holidays all! :lol:

First off, if you want to have a few beers with your buddies and you are off duty (whether you're 21 or not, I don't really care, personally... I think Europe's got a better handle on that situation in terms of drinking culture in general, but that's another post entirely) there is no problem with that. If you are using the uniform to attempt to break the law, you are obviously not using your head and you are placing your career and the reputation of EMS on the line for no good reason at all.

We are here to serve- not to be served and worshiped.

We are not above the law (whether it's traffic laws, drinking laws etc) just because we are EMS professionals. The same rules still apply whether you put on a fancy uniform or not.

The uniform is to instill confidence and convey authority, while you are on duty. It is not to be used for personal gain. Remember that when you put on the EMS uniform, you put the reputation and livelihood of thousands of your fellow workers on your shoulders. It falls on each and every one of us- especially since we often seem to be the red-headed step child of emergency services.

If someone gives you a discount while you're on duty, it is a gift. They do not OWE it to you. You have really done nothing to warrant being rewarded in such a fashion- because you are doing your JOB. You should never try to guilt someone or solicit discounts by presenting yourself as a "hero." The uniform does not make the man or woman; the action does.

Know what this action makes you? An idiot. And it may make our jobs that much harder the next time we have to run a medical call at any of these venues- because they will view us as unprofessional due to your actions. The uniform is a symbol. Make sure you know what it stands for and how your actions may change how others perceive it.

And if you want to hang out with your family and/or friends and drink a beer, then more power to you. Don't respond to any medical calls after ingesting any alcohol and don't drink in uniform. It's that simple.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

Not a hero- just trying to do what I can.