Freaking Out

PuzzlePiece

I am an EMT-B student and my Boards aren't until Dec 17, but I'm freaking out. How will I ever remember all the steps to doing a Patient Assessment? There's two pages of crap to remember and I know I don't have to remember them in exact order, but cryst!! I've taken so many deep breaths I'm hyperventilating. I go on my rides tomorrow and Sunday and then I do my clinicals on Tuesday. What if I forget everything? Good gawd. I'm not freaking out about the rides and clinicals so much as I'm worried about Boards. Any advice on mnemonic devices to remember everything? :oops:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Wayne always knew how to handle these situations...

GOVERNMENT MANDATED DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A JOKE. VIOLENCE NEVER SOLVES ANYTHING. VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN IS BAD, AS IS VIOLENCE AGAINST CO-PILOTS.

Why are you getting so worked up over a little exam that tests you on 120 hours worth of information? It's not like they're expecting you to spilt an atom. If you can't handle a basic test without stressing out how are you going to handle being on a the streets face to face with a patient? :roll:

I am an EMT-B student and my Boards aren't until Dec 17, but I'm freaking out. How will I ever remember all the steps to doing a Patient Assessment? There's two pages of crap to remember and I know I don't have to remember them in exact order, but cryst!! I've taken so many deep breaths I'm hyperventilating. I go on my rides tomorrow and Sunday and then I do my clinicals on Tuesday. What if I forget everything? Good gawd. I'm not freaking out about the rides and clinicals so much as I'm worried about Boards. Any advice on mnemonic devices to remember everything? :oops:

PuzzlePiece, I'm not sure how to say this so you won't misunderstand and be offended...but I think you're hurting yourself with your attitude.

I can't, and have no desire, to remember "crap". I assume you're talking about your skill sheets. So do you have another month to learn them before you test?

I can tell you my formula, for what it's worth....

Grab a partner, or more than one, and start running down your skill sheets. Go until you make a mistake, have someone tell you what the next step is, and then start over from the beginning. Once you can do one subject completely, (they have a lot in common) switch to the next. Once you can do that one, redo the first...continue until you know them all, or have to vomit...Then vomit and start again. I think the first time I sat down with them I spent 9 hours with a buddy...I was hating it...but I hated not knowing it worse.

Many people are smarter than I am and have their ways, I have to learn most of these thing the hard way...But I do think that until you decide it's important, it's not going to stick. (And I do believe you see them as "crap" as you have chosen not to learn them yet)

Once you get them in your head it will become much easier (if you're like me) to start to understand that each step requires individual thought. It's difficult to pay attention to any one step when you're worried about the order of the next 3. Also, I'm not positive, but I do think that doing almost any step out of order is a critical fail when you test.

Good luck! And if you're not busy on your ride alongs I'll bet they will be happy to help.

Dwayne

Why don't you see if you can do more clinicals and ride time? You may not get credit for it but the experience will be invaluable. You can never get too many hours. The more you do it, the more it will stick. And Dwayne is correct, if you go out of order, you fail. Do your assessments on anything you can get ahold of, a person, a doll, your cat or your dog. It all works!

Don't think about of patient assessments as "crap". Good assessments save lives.

Crap huh?..thats a great way to view an important-critical aspect of our profession. Im wondering just how you would actually be on the streets with your drama queen demeanor..(Sorry AK). Do yourself and those you may harm (if you pass) a favor.

Assess yourself for any future in this most noble work. Would you be better off as a cosmetologist, telemarketer, or used car sales person, or any job with out the EMS stress?

Also assess yourself academically and level with yourself on if you have the intellectual capacity to constanly seek new information, training, and education. I personally have been in EMS/Military medicine for 19 years combined and Im still a student in this field.

This field may not be for you. I hope you dont kill anyone or get yourself and your partner killed before you come to realize this.

With every best wish,

Somedic

I can relate to high anxiety for tests. I struggle and have to fight for everything do to a drowning accident when I was 9. When everyone else in my class could remember formulas and system I always got it but later than others. My whole life I have ad to brave the world of tests and not give in to what is easy and a way out. I dreamed it, I wanted it bad enough and asked for help over and over and over again. There are wonderful people who don't mind helping others learn and those who can help you with a system that works for you.

I had to take a couple of tests twice, even one clinical I had to red0, and although I wasn't in the top of my class I still made it, AND the NREMT. It took me 6 years to get a 2 year degree. Don't give up or give in. Fight for it if you want it bad enough.

I think your more frustrated with the "crap" of being overwelmed, of freaking out. The anxiety and feeling scared and over welmed can feel like crap. Many people do not this kind of struggle and fear.

Ask people in your class, talk to your instructors, and go over and over it again and again until you get it.

It sounds a wee bit like you may want to give up now, and it may feel easier to quit, but you have to find it within yourself if this is worth fighting for.

Good Luck,