Freaking Out

PuzzlePiece

Get used to being judged. Its the only constant in this field. It sounds like you are a very dedicated student, and thats a good thing, but don't go the "I'm the bestest hardest working student out there EVER" route. Its makes you sound really arrogant and it pisses off the others who have studied just as hard or harder than you in their careers, myself amongst them.

I'm glad you pulled off a save. It a very rare event to have someone go into cardiac arrest, respond to treatment, have ROSC, and then be discharged with little or no deficit from the hospital. My only question is what the crew that you were working with was doing while you pulled off the save. Did they go out for coffee and let you run the show? Just curious.

Relax. Take yourself down a notch. If you fail your boards you have to take them again. There are worse things in life. Calls will be dispatched, ambulances will run and life will go on no matter what you do. Do your best and reevaluate your role in the world.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all... yes, BOARDS are crap. I have signed for extra ride-alongs, I LOVE the job, I have a save under my belt and I'm a STUDENT. Don't preach to me that I can't handle the stress... both of the supervisors that I have worked with have commented on my calm... even when someone coded right in front of me on my second call EVER. I am currently a dispatcher for a federal police department and if I don't keep my cool, the people I dispatch for WILL die. I currently have a 98% in my EMT-B class and am the most dedicated student you or anyone else will EVER have. I WANT this job, I'm just f*cking freaking out that if I f*ck up my BOARDS, I won't be able to do what I want... which is to be in the field. I'm the first to get dirty and the last to leave. Don't judge me on some flippant comment I made... you don't even KNOW me. I came here for support, not to be judged.

And this is exactly why I wouldn't hire you.

So you're a dedicated student. Big deal. See the comments made by Asys.

If you're freaking out over a test then how will you act when there's no preceptor there to catch you when you fail? And trust me, you will, at some point, fail. We all have. And if we haven't yet that only means it's coming.

As Asys noted, this job is constant judgement. Quality assurance programs where your trip sheets are reviewed are programs of consistant and constant judging. You will always be judged by your peers, supervisors, patients and their families and medical directors. There is no aspect of this job where you will not be judged on some level. Depending on the department for which you work, that judgement may even extend to off duty behaviour. If you have a problem with that, leave now.

I have several suggestions. Get over yourself. Relax. Stop trying to impress us with bravado. Your actions will speak more to what kind of provider you'll be than your big mouth ever will. And right now you don't seem to be winning many friends.

Also, reread Rid's, Somedic's and others comments here. They offer thoughts you should seriously consider.

Good luck to you.

-be safe

Somedic,

Thank you for the reply. I have another question. Can you tell me how part time EMS hours work? I know what part time is just not how it is with EMS. Would it be 12 hours instead of 24 hours on, or just 6-8 hours, Or...?

Thanks,

-Terri

Part time hours vary with your employer just like any other career choice.

I have seen 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and 24 hour shifts for part timers.

Find out where you want to live and then see what is available. Most municipal or county services do not hire part timers due to union regualtions. IFT is probably your best route.

This is a question you should be directing towards whomever your new potential employer may be.

akflightmedic,

Thank you for the speedy reply. So even being just part time you can get in good hours. I was thinking with many jobs that would only leave me with 4 hours and I would prefer more than that. At least now when I do go for my interview I will be better prepared knowing part time isn't just 4-7 hours.

Btw- I live in Jacksonville FL, and have been here 20 years and it looks like we're staying. I just went to WY for The (WMI) Wilderness Medicine Institute of (NOLS) National Outdoor Leadership School because it included the wilderness medicine. I do quite a bit of hiking, camping and backpacking the trails here in FL so I thought the EMT and the WEMT would be better for me. I so enjoyed that part of class.

Thanks,

iadybug: Id try to find an employee from the service that you want to work for. I'd stay away from admin types that do not have the true picture of what is going on in their department daily. Find an ambulance crew like you would be a part of and try to get them to give you the real "ground truth" on what the department is like. As has been already stated, your work hours may vary. As for WEMT, I think its a neat course, Ive been to something similar but that really wont make a difference to an employer.

Good Luck

Somedic

Part time status does not always mean part time hours, especially in EMS.

Over the years I have worked "part time" on the side and put in more hours than I did on my FT gig.

You are cheaper labor than a FT employee so there are advantages to using you.

But you use the employer as well. I used to call up the PT job and tell them when I was able to work, use me or not I was indifferent. More often than not they would use me. On the flip side I was able to schedule more time off when I needed it as i had not FT hours committment.

Some services I have worked for PT had requirements like you had to work x number of hours a month to maintain that status.

It all varies.

Sorry I am not familiar with JAX, central FL and down is my knowledge base.

akflightmedic & somedic,

Thanks again for your replies and time. This certainly gives me a better understanding for more things to ponder.

I don't know anyone in this field or even close, CNA, Nurse, or working in a hospital setting, and this leads to my next question (o.k. no eye rolling please :roll: ) How can I approach EMTs? Do I just go into a rescue station or private EMS company and ask to talk to some EMTBs & EMTPs? I know this may sound so off the wall to you guys but I really want to know some steps to help me gather information to do what is okay and right. Better to ask you than look completely stupid and blow the chance gaining knowledge and information.

Ideas, thoughts?

Just so you know, I am not asking you take me by the hand and lead me around, just maybe point me in the direction you would go if you were me.

iadybug: do some on line research on the department you want to work with. se if the department has an employee mailing list and e-mail some one. Also Look for meidc units around town. Try to position yourself to wher you have a achance to say heay to the crew. Avoid trying to meet them during calls they are on or if they are in the middle of a meal. Approaching a crew at a station may get mixed results, you may be disturbing their sleep, TV, or BS time.

This all takes time and effort. Try to balance your attempts at meeting employees with not looking like a stalker or other disturbed person.

I hope this helps some.

Good Luck,

Somedic