Freaking Out

PuzzlePiece

I highly suggest you that you really evaluate your career decisions. Remember, that the Basic EMT is based at a junior high school level and if you are having a problem with some of those simplistic tasks, medical courses are probably not for you.

Patient assessment is the only way one can find out injuries and determine what is wrong with the patient. "Learning" all that "crap" as you describe is essential, and missing one part could cause a patient to die.

Basic EMT is not rocket science.... and if one is having a hard time at this, please consider that it much harder as one progresses up the ladder and has a lot more "crap" than the basic level.

This is exactly the reason and need for prescreening on EMT applicants....

R/r 911

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[/font:00a6cd12d5]

i'm also an EMTB trainee and also waiting for the incoming exam but still miles away. right now i am having my clinical duties and field exposures and surely i understand your skin! i dont know if this really helps you but it really works on me when trying to memorize full of boiling crap. "here we go, FIRST: GET ALL YOURE NOTES, BOOKS, ARTICLES, QUIZES, SKILLS EVALUATION TEST RESULTS(IF HAVING ONE), AND ALL THE THINGS THAT COME INTO EXISTENCE DURING YOUR TRAINING IN EMTB. SECONDLY: START SCANNING AND DONT MEMORIZE, JUST UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE READING OR SHALL WE SAY REVIEWING. DO THIS AT LEAST 5X /DAY REPEATEDLY SINCE YOU ONLY HAVE A MONTH AHEAD. DO THIS FAITHFULLY AND PRAYFULLY. FREAKING OUT DURING THE COMING REALITY LIKE EXAMS IS TOTALLY NORMAL BUT IT HELPS YOU NOTHING BUT ONLY RAISES FULL OF WORRIES AND ANXIETIES THAT MAY LEAD YOU TO MENTAL BLOCKS DURING THE EXAM WHICH IS AS CRITICAL AS A FLATLINER. I KNOW THIS TIP IS THE MOST COMMON SENSE BUT IT IS ALSO VERY HARD TO DO AND 100% VERYVERY EFFECTIVE.

GOD BLESS YOU, ME, AND ALL THE EMT TRAINEES.

[/font:2baca2b327]

i'm also an EMTB trainee and also waiting for the incoming exam but still miles away. right now i am having my clinical duties and field exposures and surely i understand your skin! i dont know if this really helps you but it really works on me when trying to memorize full of boiling crap. "here we go, FIRST: GET ALL YOURE NOTES, BOOKS, ARTICLES, QUIZES, SKILLS EVALUATION TEST RESULTS(IF HAVING ONE), AND ALL THE THINGS THAT COME INTO EXISTENCE DURING YOUR TRAINING IN EMTB. SECONDLY: START SCANNING AND DONT MEMORIZE, JUST UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE READING OR SHALL WE SAY REVIEWING. DO THIS AT LEAST 5X /DAY REPEATEDLY SINCE YOU ONLY HAVE A MONTH AHEAD. DO THIS FAITHFULLY AND PRAYFULLY. FREAKING OUT DURING THE COMING REALITY LIKE EXAMS IS TOTALLY NORMAL BUT IT HELPS YOU NOTHING BUT ONLY RAISES FULL OF WORRIES AND ANXIETIES THAT MAY LEAD YOU TO MENTAL BLOCKS DURING THE EXAM WHICH IS AS CRITICAL AS A FLATLINER. I KNOW THIS TIP IS THE MOST COMMON SENSE BUT IT IS ALSO VERY HARD TO DO AND 100% VERYVERY EFFECTIVE.

GOD BLESS YOU, ME, AND ALL THE EMT TRAINEES.

May I sugest a writing class as well?.. To go on the side of all that medical "crap" you are learning ! C'mon folks, what type of EMT's do you expect to be if a first aid class is difficult for you ? I hear McDonald's is hiring. Geez.. and we wonder why the profession doesn't make but minimum wage?

R/r 911

Bowline: If you are a 4 year old on here then I am sorry. Freaking out on tests or actually treating patients is not totally normal and is a dangerous problem for you and your patients. If you cannot control your emotion-you dont belong in EMS.

Flatliners are not critical any more once they become flatliners.....

Rid is on target again! EMT-B is a first aid course where you get to learn how to take vital signs and use a BVM. IF this is a challenge to your intellect, you need to go find a job flipping burgers, or sitting in front of the playstation while mommy and Daddy support you.

Hifidaffi422: Whats your point? Whether you find my remarks "inflammatory" or not I wrote them to be just the way they are.

If this offended your sensitivites then so be it. These type of people that consider learning patient assessment "crap" are the very ones we may have to work with.

I am tired of the low quality EMT taking to the streets these days. To some what quote a favortie military leader here "We aint making no GD cornflakes here" is true for EMS. We deal with lives. So if you are upset go back to reading Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus and sip your Cafe Latte. And dont let your passions get inflamed on in an all male station.

With every best wish, SOMEDIC

Ok, so Rid says something that, while some may find it harsh, is on point and hopefully finds its mark. So you follow by parroting it and saying something that can only be seen as derogatory. You have a history of doing this. What value have you added to this site by doing that? That is my point!

The point of this whole post is that the original poster cannot deal with the stress of the exams.

OH boy here we go again. If you cannot deal with the stress of the exams which is a guarantee that you will not kill anyone during the tests then how will they deal with the stress of a patient who is crashing or coding or god forbid taking violence out on the original poster.

I also second the motion that if you cannot handle it then another career ladder is more appropriate.

AS for somedics responses - albeit their being a little harsh I find nothing wrong with his posts. Nothing like driving home the point.

Bow please do not use all caps in your posts again and also please use correct pronunciations and grammar. No one here wants to read in all caps. It's just plain irritating

For what it's worth, I was a very very bad test taker in school, would freeze up but you get over it and go on.

good luck with whatever career path you choose if you do not choose to stay in ems.