Freaking Out

PuzzlePiece

Ruff: Thanks for the support. I know Im not the most pleasant forumite on here but I have to train and work with new EMT-Bs that waltz into our department carrying themselves like they have BTDT and not knowing a dam useful thing.

I do not think EMT-B courses produce EMTs that are competent and ready for the field. My posts on this thread are predicated by the daily barrage of stupid EMTs I deal with. Some may call this venting.

I dont know who came up with that stupid line that goes "Paramedics save lives-EMTs save Paramedics" but this is a patent untruth!

With every best wish,

Somedic

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iadybug423: Here is my answers to your question. It all begins when someone makes the commitment to help others in need. Its all about compassion. Too many people are in this business for egotistical reasons, examples include: wanting to fly in a helicopter, wanting to shoot people as a "tactical medic", wanting run lights and siren, wanting to wear the uniform and stethoscope off duty etc.

Next: Good EMTs come in ready to shut-up and learn the system.

Initiative is very important. If you know the trash has to be taken out...go do it before someone has to ask.

Don't be happy as just an EMT..no one likes a lifer EMT they are a drag on the system unless of course you work in a BLS only system. ( I work for an all ALS system). You should be setting your goals for further certification the day you graduate from EMT-B. We ask new EMTs if they want to go to paramedic school...if they say no..we Don't hire them...whats the point?

Next is: Show up for work on time without your cellphone in your ear and make sure your uniform looks professional. Practice good hygiene...yes we had some stinkers before.

Regard your EMS life style as one where you will never stop learning new stuff.

Realise early on that what you may have learned in class will be different that what you see practiced in the street a lot of times.

Never quit anything.

I could keep going here but Its getting late.

I hope this helps some. Good luck to you.

Somedic

akrosie: Are you sure thats your tongue or your anything you biting on?

Whit: This post was EXCLUSIVELY about EMTs. I agree that attitude and professionalism are not determined by what patch you wear.

Next: Good EMTs come in ready to shut-up and learn the system.

I'll disagree with this one. Sometimes the only way to reconize and fix a problem is for an outsider to see it. A new person just has to pick their battles wisely or bide their time for a bit.

Initiative is very important. If you know the trash has to be taken out...go do it before someone has to ask.

While I agree with "if the trash needs to be emptied, take it out," I disagree with the notion that someone should ask someone else to do it unless they are engaged in something important (playing pool or watching TV doesn't count) or there is a set chore schedule.

Next is: Show up for work on time without your cellphone in your ear

Talking on a cell phone is bad, how again, as long as it doesn't detract to reponding to calls, providing medical care, or doing chores?

"I do not think EMT-B courses produce EMTs that are competent and ready for the field".

In your opinions & experience, what makes a good or exceptional EMTB?

One that knows how to do a good physical, take a good history, be able to use all of the tools provided to them, and improvise as needed, but also understands why the patient presents the way they do and how their treatment changes the patient's enviroment (internal and external) to bring about the desired affect.

I can certainly live with the answers given here as far as a good and or exceptional EMT. I don't see them as you expecting to much...mostly common sense, and a motivated EMT. I was getting a bit concerned with some of the posts here, fearing perhaps what will be expected of me will be out of my league. You recognize an EMTB and their training is not equal to yours...I'm guessing we need to acknowledge that as well. As for me, I understand and comprehend that I am only an EMT, notthing more-yet I do have skills I would like to use, like to expand on, and absolutely keep on learning from those who don't mind teaching and showing one more new EMTB the ropes.

It seems to me that your not asking to much, or expecting an EMTB to be able to be more than their scope of practice.

I watch these boards alot-to learn, to see what I can do to better myself and hopefully, eventually make an awesome team.

Sometimes, I get concerned with things such as EMTs coming out of school aren't trained well enough--paraphrasing- and that makes me wonder why not. I have passion and compassion, with what all I learned in 180 hours I want to use, and apply, and learn.

Again I think this is something with every job and or carreer that one finds with fellow co-workers.

Ego plays a role in all walks of life. I've certainly seen it in my own family.

I just wanted to make sure not every paramedic or EMT-I thinks every EMTB is worthless, at least I hope this not the case.

Thank you for answering my question and giving me your advice & experience.

So this person posts on some test anxiety and needs some support, and the response is to berate the person instead of responding to the post. That's great, but not helpful. Sure, this person probably needs an attitude change, and needs to put things into perspective, and somebody should tell her that, but saying "go to mcdonalds" or expecting everybody to be G.I. Jane Jr, and then nitpicking on her choice of words, all the while forgetting to respond to the original post, isn't going to help all that much. Berate this person for an attitude problem, sure, but somebody remember that she asked for help and slip in some helpful advice once in a while.

Also, this probably would have been more appropriate as a blog post.

So to respond the original post:

This test that's coming up is like everything else in life that you need to do. If you need to do it, then you just gotta do it. There are many test taking strategies, and you probably know the one that's best for you. But as a general rule, if you want to do well, overprepare. There's some other common sense things, such as understanding over knowing. If I know why and how something happens is much better than just knowing that it happens, I find that it's much easier to remember. And practice, practice, practice, in the same format that you know the test is going to be in, or harder. Practice with friends, study groups, on your family, recite memorized stuff in the shower, whatever. Nothing tells you that you can do something more than knowing that you've done it many times before. Your patient assessment paper might look like the freaking constitution, but once you try it a couple of times it makes a lot more sense. If you have no idea what the test is going to be like, go back to the original idea: overprepare.

Now I could say more but it's 630 in the morning, I've been slacking for about a week and a half, and I have a lab report due in about 2 hours.