Who was the first president of the United States?

Redcell19512

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically, George Washington wasn't the first president of the United States. He was the first Commander in Chief. Just thought I'd throw in a bit of history there. :wink:

You're going to have to explain this one. He was the first man elected with the term "president of the United States" under the guise of the then brand spanking new US Constitution (article 2 section 1). The preceding government offered no more leadership than a congress with no clear definition of who was to lead that body.

While he did hold the distinct honor of being the first Commander in Chief during the Revolutionary War, he was also the first man elected president under our current government.

Now, if you'd like to argue that the first "president" was John Hancock, who was president of the Continental Congress at the time of the colonies' declaration of independence from Britain, you may have an argument.

But the first man elected as president under the current constitution was, in fact, George Washington.

Yes. I am a geek.

-be safe

I also learned when asking patients questions after a MVC, be sure to specify that you want to know what year we are currently in if asking "what year is it?" We ran a motorcycle accident and he answered the first two questions fine, but when we asked "what year is it?" he responded "1995." Turns out he thought we were asking what year the bike was. After clarification, he was A&Ox4.

• 3 weeks later...

You're going to have to explain this one. He was the first man elected with the term "president of the United States" under the guise of the then brand spanking new US Constitution (article 2 section 1). The preceding government offered no more leadership than a congress with no clear definition of who was to lead that body.

While he did hold the distinct honor of being the first Commander in Chief during the Revolutionary War, he was also the first man elected president under our current government.

Now, if you'd like to argue that the first "president" was John Hancock, who was president of the Continental Congress at the time of the colonies' declaration of independence from Britain, you may have an argument.

But the first man elected as president under the current constitution was, in fact, George Washington.

Yes. I am a geek.

-be safe

I would have to do some research. We were in Williamsburg, VA recently and sat through a history lesson. It was a very good explanation, but I was a little more worried about my 2 kids misbehaving than listening to the speaker.

by the way, the first Vice president was Thomas Jefferson .

the way elections went back then were that the top vote getter got the presidency and the 2nd vote amount got the vice presidency.

By all means this was not a happy relationship between the two.

George washington always said he didn't want to be president but who could resist after he was credited with winning the revolutionary war and giving us independence. Who would not have voted for him. But it was a very close election.

Thomas Jefferson was the 2nd president by a large margin after George spent two terms in office.

Third president was John Adams who I believe was Jefferson's Vice president.

Need I go on?

Thomas Jefferson was the 2nd president by a large margin after George spent two terms in office.

Third president was John Adams who I believe was Jefferson's Vice president.

Switch the two. Adams was number 2. Jefferson was number 3. Then Madison, Monroe, and John Quincy Adams.

Adams, on his death bed, was quoted as saying, "Thomas Jefferson survives." Little did he know that Jefferson had died only hours earlier. They died within hours of each other on July 4, 1826. Adams died in Massachusetts. Jefferson died in Virginia.

Colonial Williamsburg does put on some excellent programs. I'd be interested to hear their argument.

-be safe

• 2 weeks later...

Correctamundo on the 2nd and 3rd Switch.. and be sure to ALSO add that it was Adams who was the first Vice President....

One of my favorite things to do to people (especially kids) is ask them who is on the 1, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 dollar bills.... Very seldom does anyone ever get them all correct.

As far as working with patients... I almost NEVER ask about Presidents or anything political.. in my neck of the woods, them thar is fightin' words.

Jo

I got dispatched to an elderly lady at home with elevated temp and shortness of breath...She flat out refused transport (her family called 911)...

My partner and I explained that as long as she is oriented and of sound mind we cannot force her to go, even though she really needed to...Amongst the questions he asked was "Who is the current president?" She said Bush... okay... "which one?" She turned to look at us and said "Does it fukking matter??" but she knewit twas the son. But she was right on ball with all the questions and we asked a lot and repeated a few.

:lol:

• 3 years later...

Technically, George Washington wasn't the first president of the United States. He was the first Commander in Chief. Just thought I'd throw in a bit of history there. :wink:

No, President Washington was the first President of the United States. He was elected to the position by the congress that was established at the time. Also, Pres. Washington put the "so help me God" into the oath of office, due to him not knowing what was going to be in store for the newly founded nation. He also refused to be called king when congress wanted that to be the title here as it was in the mother country of England.

You are correct about him being the first CiC of the US. He held that position when the continental armies agreed that he was the best suited to lead all battles against the Brits. He held that title until the war was over. At that time he became the first president.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.