Who was the first president of the United States?

Redcell19512

I got called out to rendezvous with a BLS unit last night. 2 patient's from pretty bad MVA. Their injuries appeared to be minor but the volly BLS crew seemed to be overwhelmed so I stayed with them to lend a hand.

So I'm assessing mental status on the 14 year old and one of the questions I typically ask people is "Who was the first President of the United States?". Even if you don't follow politics this is something everyone will know....right? Wrong.

"Oh, there's no way I'd know that" was his answer. His 18 yearol brother says, "I think it was Thomas Jefferson wasn't it?".

Umm, no guys, it was George Washington. So I threw in a little joke to break the ice and said "well, I guess I won't bother to ask you who the first Vice President was".

If you have kids, make them study. :) Then they'll know theses things. Cause knowing is half the battle...GI Joe.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got called out to rendezvous with a BLS unit last night. 2 patient's from pretty bad MVA. Their injuries appeared to be minor but the volly BLS crew seemed to be overwhelmed so I stayed with them to lend a hand.

So I'm assessing mental status on the 14 year old and one of the questions I typically ask people is "Who was the first President of the United States?". Even if you don't follow politics this is something everyone will know....right? Wrong.

"Oh, there's no way I'd know that" was his answer. His 18 yearol brother says, "I think it was Thomas Jefferson wasn't it?".

Umm, no guys, it was George Washington. So I threw in a little joke to break the ice and said "well, I guess I won't bother to ask you who the first Vice President was".

If you have kids, make them study. :) Then they'll know theses things. Cause knowing is half the battle...GI Joe.

Sighs in frustration...

Technically, George Washington wasn't the first president of the United States. He was the first Commander in Chief. Just thought I'd throw in a bit of history there. :wink:

You should know your audience, like someone said. If you are in an affluent part of town, with homes in the millions, you should ask, "Who tops the list of Forbes richest people?" If you are in the ghetto, you should ask what's the real name of "Fitty Cent". I'm sure they'll know.

If you are in an affluent part of town, with homes in the millions, you should ask, "Who tops the list of Forbes richest people?" If you are in the ghetto, you should ask what's the real name of "Fitty Cent"

And if you're at emtcity, you should ask, "Who won the most votes in the This-Is-Not-a-Popularity-Contest contest?"

Of course it was not a popularity contest - it couldn't be, because he told us it wasn't!

BTW, I would bet that over half the kids in Canada could tell you it was George Washington. Hell, thanks to American media, half of them would say he was the first prime minister of Canada!

Technically, George Washington wasn't the first president of the United States. He was the first Commander in Chief. Just thought I'd throw in a bit of history there. :wink:
Yes, there were other Presidents before him.

BTW, I think except for maybe the really elderly in nursing homes, people are more likely to remember the current President than the first President...one's day to day life...another's reaching back in their heads.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.