Paramedic's tell me a what a new EMT should not do to......

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never utter the phrase "I know that." Nothing irritates me more than a new Basic doing something wrong, I correct them and they utter that phrase. If you knew it why did you do it wrong in the first place!!!

:angryfire:

I so agree!

Paramedic's tell me a what a new EMT should not do to irritate you.

Working on an emergency ambulance immediately comes to mind.

So long as you don't do that, I am pretty flexible. :wink: But if you insist on violating that cardinal rule, then here are some other suggestions, in no particular order:

Don't go trying to get me to teach you ALS, or waste your time studying ALS, until you have a solid basic educational foundation.

Don't waste time not studying at all.

Don't tell me about your pipe dream about being a tactical flight medic for FDNY within 2 years.

Don't talk to me about the stuff you saw on "Saved," or "ER," or "Turd Watch," and don't imitate it.

Don't call my ambulance a bus.

Don't ever second guess me.

Don't ever tell me, "well, I was taught..." or "I learned to do it this way..." or "the protocols say..."

Don't let me catch you not knowing where something is on the ambulance or in the kits. Everything from the thermometer sheaths to the fuse that controls the air-conditioner, I want you to be able to immediately locate it for me.

Don't make me feel like I must double check everything you do because you don't get things done, or don't get them right.

Don't drive like an idiot. If I am in the patient compartment and can tell that you are accelerating, decelerating, stopping, turning, or driving over a dip or bump, then you are driving like an idiot. Stop it.

Don't play with the siren. Leave it on or leave it off. Forget that there are multiple modes. You only need one, and you don't even need that one very often.

Don't ever pass on the right.

Don't snore, yell, talk loud, listen to loud music (not even with headphones. I want your complete attention at all times), or anything else that interrupts my solitude. Chill out and act like an adult.

Don't be a slob. Not in the station. Not in the ambulance. Not in your personal appearance. Your image reflects on me.

Don't ever do a single thing during the shift that you have not clearly and completely thought through and come to the inescapable conclusion that it is absolutely the best thing to do, and the best way to do it.

Dust, what exactly is a tactical flight medic? Somebody who lays down covering fire, lands the helicopter, and then treats an MI? :lol: In all honesty, the FDNY doesn't have flight medics. The FDNY doesn't even have a helicopter. Once in a while a medic gets to ride on a PD helicopter, but really medevacs within the five boroughs are fewer than chinese food places without health code violations.

Yeah, I was just trying to compress the top three pipe dreams into one for brevity's sake.

I should have said "being a tactical flight nurse for FDNY while going to medical school" and covered all five of them. :lol: