Paramedic's tell me a what a new EMT should not do to......

Ohhh my good lord!!! My gosh!! Words can’t express what I’ve just read….

Pull your self together man, lord I’m having palpitations.

“dont aspire to be a paramedic. Never have. Maybe that changes somewhere down the line. EMS was a vehicle for me. The ride is however almost over. Soon I shall sit in a corner office making butloads of money.”

Comments like this; my word is my blood boiling right about now. If you don’t wish to be a paramedic then why are you in EMS?? ...

Whoa- lets take a breath here. This is getting off topic. It is plausible there are those in EMS who do not want to be medics. Don't lose sight of the thread, a new EMT looking for guidance. It seems the goal was to seek knowledge to do a job to the best of his/her ability (and sure, welcome to the bashing and egos- another good education and reality in medicine). Who was the original poster.....?? Focus.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first glance, it may appear that the thread has meandered away from topic, but upon closer scrutiny, I think it has everything to do with the topic. The original question concerned a new EMT asking what not to do. One of my mantras in EMS has always been that everyone can be a teacher. Some demonstrate what to do and how to conduct oneself. Others demomstrate what not to do and how not to be.

Probably the worst thing anyone in EMS can do is to not care. I think it is worse than whackerism. At least whackers care about something. So, to any new EMT's out there, if you truly care about what we do, if you really want to be the best you can, you will quickly realize what to do and what not to do. You will learn more than you ever thought possible, and will continue to do so throughout your entire career. If you really do care about this field, and have even a modicum of maturity, you will choose wisely who to follow, and who to take valuable lessons from, but leave behind.

If you wish to work in a corner office and make buttloads of money, I wish you success in your endeavor, but please do it.

Doctor Death wrote:

Comments like this; my word is my blood boiling right about now. If you don’t wish to be a paramedic then why are you in EMS?? If you don’t wish to take your education any further I petty you

Dont ASSume I am not furthering my education.

I believe the word is pity.

Doctor death wrote:

this person has no respect for human life!

Again your ASSuming. Malicious and unproffesional statements like that, is why this field now, nor will it ever be respected. I dont respect human life. That statement proves what little you know about me as a provider, not to mention as a person.

You’re out there to do a job and that’s to provide the best care and compassion to the patient

I have spent nearly 15 years in this field dont preach to me what this JOB is all about, I am well aware.

not how much the pay check is at the end of the week. Good lord show some guts and determination man,

Guts and determination my friend. I have forgotten more about those two words then most will ever know, and I have the scars to prove it. Physical amongst others.

Easy for you to say as obviously your salary tops the 6 figure mark. Keep looking down at us and stating its not about the paycheck.

I am not now, nor will I ever be defined by the proffesion I choose.

Malignent wrote:

Congratulations for taking a job that a serious person might have had

Thank you, When I am doing my job, there is no more serious, competent, and more prepared person then I.

Those above charecteristics are not reserved only for the paramedic, or doctor.

Because I aspire to be more then an EMS proffesional. I think you have me confused with your obviously narrow minded, dim witted vision of an EMT.

Another egregius underestimation on your part. I am sure of which isnt an uncommon thing for you.

At first glance, it may appear that the thread has meandered away from topic, but upon closer scrutiny, I think it has everything to do with the topic. The original question concerned a new EMT asking what not to do. One of my mantras in EMS has always been that everyone can be a teacher. Some demonstrate what to do and how to conduct oneself. Others demomstrate what not to do and how not to be.

Probably the worst thing anyone in EMS can do is to not care. I think it is worse than whackerism. At least whackers care about something. So, to any new EMT's out there, if you truly care about what we do, if you really want to be the best you can, you will quickly realize what to do and what not to do. You will learn more than you ever thought possible, and will continue to do so throughout your entire career. If you really do care about this field, and have even a modicum of maturity, you will choose wisely who to follow, and who to take valuable lessons from, but leave behind.

Plus five for the post of the day. :thumbright:

Because I aspire to be more then an EMS proffesional. I think you have me confused with your obviously narrow minded, dim witted vision of an EMT.

Ahh yes, truth to be told i dont hold a dimwitted narrow minded view of EMT's, as i give everyoe credit for their actions, their qualifications and the way they present themselves. So when you present yourself as using EMS to further you office career you get zero respect

Another egregius underestimation on your part. I am sure of which isnt an uncommon thing for you.

Right back at you