Paramedic's tell me a what a new EMT should not do to......

HURRRRK YOU DON'T KNOW YOUR BLS SKILLS!!! THE CRAVAT GOES THIS WAY NOT THAT WAY!!! HURRRKKK!!!! THAT'S NOT HOW YOU TAKE A BLOOD PRESSURE!!! YOU NEED A FEW MORE YEARS ON THE STREET DURRRRRRRRRR

Seriously, man, a retarded monkey can figure out how to do BLS skills in about 3-6 weeks. Why do people get so caught up in them?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Basic school substitutes training for education. Remember, basic class is about anything not normal being an emergency, BLS algorithms that essentially breakdown to "1. look at patient. 2. call ALS. 3. high flow O2" and useless acronyms (because we need DCAPBTLS instead of, you know, just noting anything that wouldn't be considered normal, like burns, bleeding, punctures, etc). Maybe if BLS concentrated a smidge more on critical thinking, anatomy, and physiology instead of "look at this really cool injury," the BLS level might actually be worth something.

But BLS is about critical thinking, anatomy, and physiology. Anybody who doesn't see this just doesn't get it.

That is what BLS should be about. Unfortunately, not everyone sees it that way. I know my class jumped over tons of anatomy just to get to the ever exciting skills. Not saying it is right, just saying how it goes. It did better on the critical thinking side, but critical thinking without adequate background is guessing.

Know the patient report form back the front, side to side and inside out!

I hate it when they send a newbie out on duty to a major event, you have a critically injured patient and they sit there, asking random questions like are they male or female while you’re trying to find out what’s wrong with them!

Zip the kits up when you’re finished with them! Nothing worse than being called to something, grabbing the kit and it goes all over the ground or into the mud!

Turn the 02 kit off when your finished.

Check the Heartstart every time you go on duty. When it beeps change the battery!

Put the portables on charge when you get back to base.

Collar anyone who has neck pain!!!! I hate it when people don’t do this!

Make sure the red flag is up at speedway before you drive the ambulance out onto the track :roll:

Dustdevil wrote:

Don't strap a pillow down on my cot.

LOL you wouldn’t wana work for my service. We have to strap everything in the ambulance down including pillows and blankets! Its OH&S lol! It’s not like a pillow is going to cause much damage if we roll the truck.

Yes, you are right. Unfortunately, folks who walk out of EMT-B class thinking that everything mentioned is everything you need, just don't get it. Critical thinking alone should drive someone to investigate the anatomy and physiology behind interventions. In turn, this guides one into more accurate interpretation of assessments. Fortunately, our Medical Director demands more from BLS providers than just the dumb mechanical ability to perform tasks, and he arranges appropriate continuing education. I hate the reputation EMT-B's have, and the fact that it is mostly our own fault. We should be better.

LOL you wouldn’t wana work for my service. We have to strap everything in the ambulance down including pillows and blankets! Its OH&S lol! It’s not like a pillow is going to cause much damage if we roll the truck.

Just to clarify, I want a pillow on my cot. I just don't want it or anything else strapped down. Nine times out of ten, you don't need a pillow, so whoever is pulling that cot out needs to be able to toss the pillow back into the ambo without having to undo any straps. Which reminds me...

DON'T bring a pillow on the cot to my scene when the damn patient is obviously going to be backboarded, or is in full arrest! :roll: I don't want another thing to have to carry back to the ambulance with me, and I don't want to have to steal a replacement from the hospital after I leave that one on the scene.

In fact, if you do that, we are going to take YOUR pillow from YOUR bunk at the station to replace the one from the ambulance. I bet you don't make that mistake again!

Every medic is different and will expect different things from you. The best advice I can give you is to talk to your medic. The best opening line to break the ice is "Hi, My name is (insert name here). I know we've never worked together before, and I wanted you to know I'm a new EMT. I'd like you to tell me what you expect from me while we're working together." A GOOD medic will tell you exactly how they like to run a call. They'll tell you they expect certain tasks to be performed without asking. They'll tell you if they have any quirks, such as BLS tasks they prefer to perform on their own. I know I personally prefer to do my own 12-lead. I can keep talking to a patient while I'm doing this task. Besides, I feel that monitor is my responsibility. That's my quirk. Other people have other quirks. Don't be afraid to ask them. It's your pompous, nasty, burned-out crap medics that will rip you apart for any mistake you make, or rip you apart for having the foresight to ask them what they expect instead of guessing how they are. A good medic can just go with the flow, and help you learn.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your experience.