Local Protocals... Do You Ever Break Them?

ambogrl

Do you ever break local protocals?  

28 members have voted

1. 1.

• NEVER EVER!
    • Sometimes if I'm with the right people.
    • I'm and EMT on paper but in the rig I'm a Paramedic.

As per my schooling that "monkey" is still used as a racist derogatory term for people of African descent, may I suggest going with the phrases "automatic" skills or "mechanical" skills?

That's just taking PCness too far... that's not the context the word is being used it. There is nothing wrong with the word monkey....

Consider the context.

That's just taking PCness too far... that's not the context the word is being used it. There is nothing wrong with the word monkey....

Consider the context.

Except that he's equating EMS proffesionals with monkeys... I'd like to think that I rate as something slightly more evolved... perhaps a great ape?

Except that he's equating EMS proffesionals with monkeys... I'd like to think that I rate as something slightly more evolved... perhaps a great ape?

Alright alright, can we all agree that the average orangutan can start an IV? I trust we can all agree on this atleast B)

well orthopaedic surgeons manage on a reasonably regular basis :)

A Gastroenterologist (spelling?) who did a procedure on me last week left a mark on me, a nasty looking infiltration from his third attempt to start my IV, which I still have. Hope your Ortho guy did better by you.

A Gastroenterologist (spelling?) who did a procedure on me last week left a mark on me, a nasty looking infiltration from his third attempt to start my IV, which I still have. Hope your Ortho guy did better by you.

i guess the reference shot over your head , in UK medical folklore at least the prime requisites for Ortho surgeons used to be a positive gorilla ratio ( arm span wider than height ) and built like a rugby player if not one!

One of my friends who is a fourth year med student at IU told me a joke:

They pith (destroy the brain with a blunt instrument) the bottom 10% of the medical school graduating class. Those that can crawl away after this go into gastroenterology, proctology, family practice, etc. Those who can not crawl away become orthopedic surgeons.

I remember reading a piece of advice somewhere: don't mess with orthopedic surgeons- they are strong as oxen and almost as smart.

• Like 1

Our Medical Director would ride with us on a regular basis when I was an EMT and Medic Student. He would allow us to go outside of protocol if he was on scene.

We were allowed to get medications, place the patient on the monitor and set up lines etc., If we were medic students he would allow us to perform ALS procedures under his direct supervision.

He was really cool, he was a former medic so he was always willing to allow us to try new things.

no, its amonkey skill, a trained monkey could essentially do it(not literally)

Yeah, this coming from the guy who said "AHA says to pause the compressions 'cuz its too hard to teach how to ventilate THROUGH the compressions"

Uh huh. Guys like this are why we are still called ambulance drivers. Sorry USAF, I was never the diplomat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.