Local Protocals... Do You Ever Break Them?

ambogrl

Do you ever break local protocals?  

28 members have voted

1. 1.

• NEVER EVER!
    • Sometimes if I'm with the right people.
    • I'm and EMT on paper but in the rig I'm a Paramedic.

If, as you claim, you have a friend who works at IDPH, they also would have told you that system to system, nobody knows what the other is doing since Leslie left.

EMS in Illinois is currently messed up, to put in lightly, right now.

Being a pilot system has nothing to do with a study, it means to test out something new, not to do the scientific data gathering.

Our system is advanced out of neccessity, not need for bragging rights.

And I did mean my state, I apologize, and yes, as far as 12-leads go they will base it upon what the LP12 displays after capturing and analyzing. A couple agencies went with the Zolls, I dont know whether they print out the results of analysis or not, but thats what the decisions will be based on, and it will also be a per agency choice (12 lead is an expensive option). They wont waste time trying to manualy analyze and interpret the 12 leads. I know LP12's algorythym is very reliable, and I believe that the zolls that do analyze have the same algorythm so it should help tremendously.

Its nice that you guys have the go ahead from ur med dir to bend a few rules. our protocols are printed out and LAMINATED and placed in our rig....... I do pretty much everything, (eg: set up IV, meds and read and interpret the monitor, glucose....etc) except the IV stick, intubation and blood draw. But since our county is soooooo conservative i do these things with ptnrs that i know and trust, and never in front of other agency personnel like, PD especially if i dont know them. breaking protocols and going out of our scope of practice is grounds for termination and many other bad things....

There is a difference between breaking protocols and using them to your advantage.

I can't even count the number of times that I've set up IV stuff, gotten the monitor ready, etc. As we know, in PA, there are no EMT-I certs and IV and cardiac monitoring are ALS skills. However, BLS protocols do allow basics to assist with these skills "in the direct presence of a licensed ALS provider who is acting as such"...

Sure, I've checked a blood sugar, and I've set up for multiple ALS interventions...but I NEVER, and I do mean NEVER, would do something to jeopardize a patient or my license. If I was meant to perform a skill, I would have been trained to do so. If ever unsure, I would recommend calling a command doc. That is, afterall, what they are there for.

I would never go out of my protocols...there are times that i would love to help out more but that is what being a basic is all about...i tend to learn more from my peers than anything and i would know if i was doing something outside of my scope...i would not want to lose what i worked so hard for ya know :roll:

From what I've been told Punk: They are looking into Combitubes for first responders as a state wide policy. And looking at making ETI a standard skill for Basic EMT's.

I don't care how far up their butts anyone thinks IDPH has their heads they would NEVER allow a FR to intubate. That's beyond stupid to even consider it.

Intubation is a monkey skill that you can either do, or you cant, a three hour class and clinical time is all it takes, its not that complicated of a thing to learn, application, on the otherhand, is strictly dependent on the individual, not their level.

B's here standard is 2x attempt ETT followed by combitube if unsuccessful. Combitube is a new BLS option here, ETT is an old option.

FR will probably start with combitube, but move to the ETT with the same protocol in this system if theyre smart.

ETT as a BLS skill statewide wont fly, too many systems will fight that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.