Human Cadavers in class?

In my A&P, we do cats for the muscular and circulatory systems, sheep brains for nervous system, a cow eye for the eyes, pigs feet for connective tissue, and a few other things that I can't remember. I go to a small community college (for the nursing program, EMT is with a local tech school) and obviously they aren't rolling in the money. LOL We did have the opportunity last semester to go to the local medical school to observe their cadaver lab. I wouldn't think most schools can afford human cadavers and most probably don't have the facilities to store them.

I think studying human cadavers is an invaluable experience for future and present EMS providers. In fact, I can give you several good candidates to practice on...they are employees in my department!

I wouldn't doubt any of the medic programs within a university/hospital would have this sort of thing. We did it in Anatomy 101 at Drexel using Hahnemann's facility but honestly that exibit with the plastic preserved people (can't recall the name) was a hell of alot better.

The only cadavers available for my program are the medic students that show up hung-over, and half asleep then try to hide in the last row of the classroom. :x

We are lucky here & our service has an agreement with one of the Univercity facultyies of medicine.

This allows us to study in detail the disections they have stored. We also get to 'play' in the wet lab & are activley encouraged to get hands on to inderstand the forces needed to cause damage.

If we are lucky there may be some med students prepaerd to allow us to watch them undertake disections.

I would recommend it to anyone in the field.

Phil

We actually have a cadaver lab at our EMS headquarters. We are going to begin working with human cadavers as part of our continuing education in house. It should be interesting, I'm looking forward to the opportunity...

A human cadaver lab just for "ambulance drivers"? You got my attention! Where do you work? Ive never heard of cadaver labs for EMS except for systems based around medical schools/universities....Sounds too good to be true